• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom folder label colors on walkabout.

Advocate ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom... again.  I am in the process of keywording 20,000 images for a scientific study and Lightroom's shortcomings are overwhelming me again.  The one causing the most grief today is, at its root, there needs to be a keywording workspace, one that disables shortcut keys that cause this issue..  And I need to be able to resize and pull the panel to a better location so I can see exactly what is happening like I can do in the Adobe programs that don't get stuck at the kids table.

The specific problem I've now wasted nearly an entire non-billable hour on is my color labels on folders disappeared.  I suspect it happened when I was keywording a file and didn't notice the keywording entry area was not selected.  When that's the case you are not entering a keyword, you are entering a frigging shortcut.  And lord only knows what you gonna get. It happens over and over to me. In my case I was entering upper case letters, so Lr sees shift+N, not the keyword I was intending, say N37.  If I see the problem at the time I can control+Z it, but one keystroke later it is lost to time and all of a sudden something is very different, who knows what.  

I looked around and didn't see anything on line for this issue, but did see something about image color resets.  I tried restarting, tried resetting color preferences.  When the program starts if I scroll up and down in the folders list the color bars show up intermittently, so I know they are there. Anyone got a clue? I'm loathe to reset everything. 

And as long as I'm picking nits, the tiny little color bar Adobe added to folders is a pretty weak flag. Give us the ability to set the full folder name in color, the ability to change the font style and color would be winning the lottery.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that you seem to be suggesting changes to existing features and requesting new features, then best you submit at https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom?

Doing so at above location is more likley to attract the attention of Adobe staff than here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am looking for a solution to that specific problem, and felt it needed to be viewed in a more macro perspective. I work with a few of the principal Adobe applications and find the simplest- LR- to be the least polished and most irritating. 

In a previous life I was a product manager.  If the engineers working on the products I was charged with managing didn't, on a very regular basis read the forums, I'd make certain they found something else to do with their lives. I would also ask them to play a game with me, let's look at interactions, nearly every business transaction one entity gives money to the other.  The giver is the customer, he/she can go elsewhere with that money and should be coddled, not constrained.  When I'm filling out web forms I'm not making money.  They can find it here. 

Adobe needs to find a solution to the red-badge-of-courage practice of memorizing strings of random-number silliness that is shortcuts, that's at the root of the problem. It's currently fundamental to how we must use the software and is both limiting and unsustainable. I heard Julianne Kost speak a few months ago in Palo Alto, she mentioned she had a partial list of LR shortcuts that was fifty-four pages long. One program, fifty-four pages. Imagine if riding a bicycle required memorizing fifty-four pages of random numbers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines