• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Keeps Freezing

Engaged ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 12.3 has become unuseable this afternoon. It keeps freezing. It doesn't respond to anything I try to do with my mouse. All other apps are working fine. I can't even exit the program and have to use Task Manager to quit Lightroom.  I tried rebooting my Windows 11 computer but that doesn't help.  As soon as I start Lightroom it freezes.  Can someone please help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Engaged , May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions.  However, nothing I tried solved the problem and I had to contact Adobe support.  I worked with Wilma at Adobe for 4 hours this morning diagnosing and then fixing the problem.  It turned out to be a corrupted catalog file, in spite of the fact that I backup and check catalog integrity every day, sometimes more than once a day.  Essentially the catalog had to be re-imported back into Lightroom.  The import process apparently detects and fixes inte

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate , Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

I learn't this some time ago, so now when I do backups of all my LR folder (using xxcopy), I include the prefs file so I can always go backwards to prefs files that worked.

bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe exactly what happens. When does the freeze happen and what do you see on the screen after the freeze. 

No guarantee, but anytime LrC does strange things, it's a good idea to reset the LrC preferences.

More information about your computer like this will help

LRC Community guidelines,jpg.JPG

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched the forum and found that I had the same or similar problem back in March 2023 using Lightroom Classic 12.2.  Back then I deleted the previews.db and root-pixels.db files in the previews.lrdata folder. When I restarted Lightroom it worked.  I tried doing the same thing this time in 12.3 but I still have the freezing problem.  I also deleted the lock file Lightroom Catalog-v12.lrcat.lock but that didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the information I asked for in my earlier post. The clues to your problem are in that info.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kenneth, thanks for the response.  Lightroom seemingly launches normally.  There are no error messages.  After the program is loaded, when I click on anything, nothing happens.  For example, I click on a thumbnail to select that photo.  The photo doesn't get selected.  I click on a collection to see the photos in that collection.  The collection doesn't display.  I click on X to exit the program.  It doesn't exit the program.  It's as if my mouse is not working except it works fine in all other applications.  Resetting my preferences seems like a drastic step so I'm holding off doing that for now.  I have 63GB of free space on my C(OS) drive and 950GB of free space on my D drive where the Lightroom catalog and photos are located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences is not as drastic as having the software not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff A. Goulden  Resetting preferences is not really drastic. It's pretty much an SOP for strange behavior. There is no downside to doing it. It's very easy to go in to preferences and reset your personalized things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I reset my preferences.  I see that all my personalised settings are gone.  However, I still have the same problem.  Lightroom starts where I left off in grid view.  It lets me change my photo selected once and then program freezes.  "Freeze" is the only way I can describe it.  I can click on anything in Lightroom and nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff. I am having the same issue. Lightroom freezes when I attempt to do something. For me it is episodic. This morning, I started Lightroom and was able to do a few things and then it freezes. Sometimes if I'm patient, I wait a few minutes for Lightroom to recover. Sometimes it does. Most times it doesn't. When Lightroom is working, I find file management actions are painfully slow. My catelogue and cache files are on an SSD. My images are on a regular disk drive. I have 32 GB of Ram and 400gb on my OS and program drive.

This problem takes some of the joy out of editing pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me too - and practically Lightroom became useless.
The only workaround that I found was to completely disable my GPU.
Now it works - of course slower than could be w/o the GPU.

Gabriel

--
גבריאל מלמוד
Gabriel Malamud

Cellular +972-54-9599003 סלולרי
Home +972-4-6288973 בית

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what the GPU does or how to disable it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Menu -> Preferences -> Performance -> Top item "Use GPU ....."

You still haven't provided your full computer info, especially the GPU specs. If disabling the GPU solves the problem, then you have a GPU issue. Lower than required performance level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @gabrielm44071202

If turning OFF the GPU works, it's a GPU bug, and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. This is why disabling GPU is an option as more and more functionality moves to the GPU in newer versions of many Adobe products. Disable third-party graphics accelerators. Third-party GPU overclocking utilities and haxies aren't supported.

Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

If the GPU and display profile isn't causing the problem, see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gives-error-preview-cache.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a copy of your 'System Info'. This can be obtained from the LrC Help > System Info menu item as shown in attached screenshot.

System Info provides information on your hardware, device drivers and often highlights computer specific issues such as out of date GPU drivers and disabled functionality.

system info location.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions.  However, nothing I tried solved the problem and I had to contact Adobe support.  I worked with Wilma at Adobe for 4 hours this morning diagnosing and then fixing the problem.  It turned out to be a corrupted catalog file, in spite of the fact that I backup and check catalog integrity every day, sometimes more than once a day.  Essentially the catalog had to be re-imported back into Lightroom.  The import process apparently detects and fixes integrity problems.  Who knew?  Anyway, thanks again to those who provided support and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to leave a few words of caution regarding my problem.

Disabling the GPU is not a huge issue and is easily reversed.  However, if you disable the GPU and it does fix the problem in Lightroom, it indicates a possible hardware problem or maybe at least an update to a driver.  Disabling the GPU is not a fix; it is just a workaround.  In my case, disabling the GPU did not help.

Resetting the Lightroom Preferences to default values is a bigger deal than I thought.  I have been using Lightroom since Version 1 came out.  I didn't realize how much I had customized the preferences to fit my own way of doing things.  Trying to remember what preferences I modified is no easy task.  Also, I rely on a number of plugins to support custom metadata.  All of that is gone when you reset preferences.  Luckily, I have backups of the plugins and the custom metadata presets.  Regardless, it will take some time to put all that back together.  In my opinion, resetting the preferences should be done only as a last resort when nothing else works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now is the time to back up your preference and make screenshots of the settings.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, I'm a little late to the dance for that one.  I had a few screen shots but not everything.  I had the important stuff backed up but not every little preference that I changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2023 Oct 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how the plug-ins would go missing, unless you selected in preferences to store them with the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!  Good to know in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learn't this some time ago, so now when I do backups of all my LR folder (using xxcopy), I include the prefs file so I can always go backwards to prefs files that worked.

bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exwct problem with version 12.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And an document on what does not get backed up via LrC backup, but needs to be backed up:

https://fstoppers.com/business/youre-probably-not-backing-all-your-lightroom-classic-data-526597

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the integrity check.

If you either have in the LrC /preferences/general/default catalog, the option to prompt  when starting lightroom (instead of previous, or a specific catalog), or you launch LrC with the alternative keyboard/mouse shortcut to bring up the open catalog screen. (On MACOS, press and hold down the OPTION key, and click on the LrC startup icon. On WINOS, press and hold down the CONTROL key and click on the LrC startup icon ). You will be presented with a screen to select a catalog, and in that screen the option to test integrity of the catalog.

Preferably  check integrity without a backup in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h6JnL51u9I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines