Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Mobile for Android Users?

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I'm curious as to whether or not the app will be ported to Android. Adobe say that the iPhone app is coming soon but never mentions Android.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 122 Replies 122
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2014 Dec 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have given up waiting for LR on Android, i use snapseed, totally awesome app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And imagine that - the sky didn't fall in for the want of Lightroom on Android...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy Christmas everyone and hope 2015 brings you what you want and what you haven't even thought of....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's great that an Android version is available now but why is it only on phones? I was hoping to use it on my nexus 7 or nexus 10 tablet. Looking at and editing photos on my phone isn't really as valuable. I would have expected tablet support before phone.

I did install it on my nexus 5  phone and so far it looks good.

I haven't tried importing cr2 files from my 30d camera but hopefully that works. I would use lightroom mobile to filter out a big set of files and then do real editing in lightroom and photoshop on my PC or Mac with my big calibrated monitor. Also for quick edits or email photos I may use the mobile only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Mobile won't import raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was able to download Lightroom Mobile to my Note 3 phone but there was no version for my 12.2" Note Pro tablet.  Armed with the knowledge that both the phone and tablet shared the same processor I exported the Lightroom Mobile apk file to my tablet and installed it.  I used APK File Exporter, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=htmt.apkexporter, to do the export then I emailed the exported apk to myself and installed it on the tablet.

Guess what, it works great!  Good sync speed.  The Samsung Note Pro 12.2 " tablet is the perfect platform formatting adjustments to the photo's while on the go as well as really displaying them nicely....not a 5" phone.

Screenshot_2015-01-22-20-52-20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2015 Jan 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works great on my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" (2013) as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think anyone that wants to do more serious work with raw images on their Android will have to look elsewhere. Photo Mate R2 seems to be the best one out there and they just added a "library" function which looks to try and align it a little more with the functionality lightroom has on the destop. I have it and it does a lot more of what I want on my Android tablet (and phone i guess if i'm desparate).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RDarrylR for the suggestion of R2.

Perhaps the real reason behind LR Mobile is to allow/encourage folks to

process mobile photos from their phone on LR -- mobile + desktop. That

might explain why all the focus is on phones right now, which arguably make

a better camera thanks to their small size (easier to handle). You can take

photos with your phone, and then seamlessly add them to your desktop LR

catalog for further processing and storage, printing, etc.

I still like LR Mobile for sharing draft photos with clients.... works for

"WIP", but does not allow downloading of a jpg, even from LR Web.

I've just started using Creative Cloud with Behance... and this looks like

the best way to deliver photos to a client (for a social media branding

project, for example). I will share low resolution files to Behance, and

then give the client access for downloading as jpgs. LR Mobile stays

useful because it runs on the tablet PLUS I can view the files even when

offline (a big plus, not having to rely on internet connection in a pinch).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased it and looked at one photo with it, it seems like a pretty good program though.  As an occasional hobby photographer I see this as a good tool for me to play with my photos from my hotel room or camper when I'm away from my desktop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just remember, Bill - you can't get your images straight from camera to Lightroom Mobile. They have to imported by the full version of Lightroom, and then Smart Previews of those images generated and synced to Mobile.

So you'll only be playing with images that you've already captured and imported/processed (and probably exported), before they ever get to Mobile - no new images that you've taken on your trip unless you've also got access to the full version of Lightroom.

I honestly struggle to see the point of Mobile, myself. I just have full Lightroom on a laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith,

I'm not sure what you mean here.  You can certainly import local pictures from your tablet (which come from my camera via EyeFi), edit them and upload them to Creative Cloud for later use in Lightroom.  Here's a screen cap showing the LR Mobil collection which has photo's synced from my tablet.

ScreenHunter_03 Jan. 27 17.12.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these raws from your camera via EyeFi or jpgs?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nic,

These are both jpegs from my camera.  I'll try nef's today.  I also have to say I really like Photo Mate R2 for its editing abilities....has crashed on me a few times though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill, shall be interested to see how you get on with the nefs.  I can't say I can see myself regularly wanting to edit raws on a mobile device but it would be good to know it could be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me either actually, but it is nice to have that ability.  I travel for work and I'm in a hotel room about 35-40 weeks a year.  I've retired my laptop and travel only with my 12.2" Note Pro tablet so having the ability to make some fixes to pictures from my tablet before sharing them is useful to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nic, Lightroom Mobile does not even see the .nef files.

**Edit** Lightroom Mobile does not even see the .nef files which are local to the Tablet. I was able to share a nef from my desktop with LR Mobile and it was displayed fine and can be edited with the edits being synced back to LR Desktop as a .nef but any other sharing or saving will convert it to a .jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah well, not totally surprised..but thanks very much for the information. Appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bill-enh wrote:

Keith,

I'm not sure what you mean here.  You can certainly import local pictures from your tablet (which come from my camera via EyeFi), edit them and upload them to Creative Cloud for later use in Lightroom.

Hmmm... that's interesting. Not how it's supposed to work though - Lr Mobile is supposed to work only with Smart Previews created in Lr desktop and synced to Mobile:

Adobe Lightroom Mobile FAQ

What file formats does Lightroom mobile support?

Lightroom 5 supports file formats including raw images from virtually  any DSLR camera, JPEG, and PNG files. Lightroom5 creates and syncs Smart  Previews between your desktop and mobile device. Smart Previews are  representations of your original images that allow you to make  non-destructive edits that can be synced back to your originals. The original files remain on your desktop and are not stored, synced, or  used by Lightroom mobile. Camera roll files on your mobile device are  natively supported and are synchronized to Lightroom 5.

and:

Can I import raw files transferred to my device using the Camera Connection Kit or Wi-Fi into Lightroom mobile?

Lightroom mobile does not support direct raw file import using the Camera Connection Kit or Wi-Fi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..and further to Bill's reply I already knew LR Mobile could import the photos that are taken with my Mobile device and sync them back to LR Desktop.  So I'm not that surprised that it could also import jpgs from another camera once they're on the Mobile Device (also not that surprised that it can't cope with raw files both from a processing power point and file size).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what the mobile editing use case is for professionals but if anyone's really interested, Photo Mate R2 does a pretty good job of handling the raw files.  I cant speak to the effectiveness of all its editing options since I've only had it a day but for me, a hobby photographer, it seems to work pretty good and pretty fast on my Note Pro 12.2.

Unfortunately there isn't demo so it'll cost you 10 bucks to find out if you like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2015 Mar 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, I'd imagine screen specs (amoled/lcd/etc, dpi, resolution etc) are extremely critical for lightroom to work well. Only a coupe of options with an iPad, infinite options with Android tablets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines