• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom: Open as Layers in Photoshop, not working in latest version

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is suddenly not working with the latest updates and I use it most of the time - so a bit distressed

Could anyone help with this please ?

I have Creative Cloud and have installed all the recent updates.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Greetings,

This issue should be fixed in the Lightroom Classic 10.2 update that went live today. This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug Fixes

To update Lightroom Classic to 10.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Lightroom. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ramshackle Photography  No, not specific to Windows. My Windows-10 Dell laptop with Lightroom-CLASSIC opens two images 'as layers' quite well.  [Edit In > Open as layers in Photoshop]

This forum is for Lightroom-CLASSIC. Which 'Lightroom' are you using?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was on the phone with Adobe support for a couple of hours last week. The issue is with laptops that have dual graphics cards like the xps15. Photoshop and Lightroom do not support dual graphics cards. I was told that Adobe engineering is aware of the issue and are trying to fix it. The only way to get it to work was to disable the least powerful card when working with Lightroom and photoshop. I have to disable the Intel card on my laptop and just use the nvidia. It works fine then. Just need to remember to re enable it once I'm done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is broader than this laptop issue. I have windows 10 with
photoshop and Lightroom classic, everything fully updated. all was great
until the last update from Adobe. Suddenly I cannot export multiple photos
from LR to PS as layers. Only 1 photo is transferred. Sure would be nice if
they could fix their fix.--
Ken Brown
Ken Brown Photography
Ojai, Ca.
805-660-4713
Facebook

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on a Windows 10 desktop with one graphics card.  Adobe engineering has no idea what they are talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue except that my issue was CAUSED by the update.  It was working fine before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working in LR Classic 10.2, PS 22.3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working as of Apr 11, 2021. Running LR Classic 10.2 ( Build [202103041821-226a1211) and Photoshop 22.3.0 on Windows 10-64 bits

Adobe, stopp adding new fitures and fix old bugs. Quality and performance first, please !!!

regards

andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto

--
Ken Brown
Ken Brown Photography
Ojai, Ca.
805-660-4713
Facebook

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall both and reinstall both.  I am still have the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I tried to do everything, but nothing helps... I have xps15 with dual graphics, but I tried to use Intel and NVIDIA cards separately. The same... it is so annoying and slowly make me to resign from the subscription 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turned out for me that the problem was limited to HEIC files (iPhone format).  As a workaround I converted the files to jpgs and then it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open as Layers in Photoshop stopped working for me TODAY March 28, 2021.  Windows 10 desktop.  Only one graphics card.  I have the latest Lightroom and Photoshop installed.  Edit in Photoshop works normally.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to LRC v10.2.   For a long time I have sent groups of images from LRC to photoshop to open as layers so I can focus stack.  Now after updating LRC and Photoshop to the latest versions it will not work.  No matter how many images I select it just opens 1 image in photoshop.  It is untenable with my workflow or any logical workflow to have to open individusally 5, 10, 20 or 30 images as layers in photoshop 1 at a time.  Why does this not suddenly work after updating?  It is a very important feature.  I can think of dozens of use cases (not just my own) where a user would want to select multiple images in LRC and have them open as layers in photoshop.  I see others are having the same problem and clearly the latest update does not appear to have fixed the issue.  Is another update coming sooner rather than later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem - how frustrating! After some investigation I discovered it would work from GRID view, but not from Develop view. So we havea workaround until Adobe fixes this debilitating bug !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually not...it used to be possible to select multiple photos in Develop module and open as layers in PS. You can, by the way, find many Youtube courses where they demonstrate how to open multiple photos as layres in PS from the Develop module (Select-> Right click-Edit In-> Open as Layers in PS).

rgs

andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the function with a group of JPGs and then with a group of HEIC files.  For me JPGs work fine just as you describe but HEIC files won't open as layers.  If this is your problem too, then select the group. export to JPG then proceed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@albasdad  Yes, you are correct!! You can 'Open as layers' from the Develop module. I must correct my earlier post. I just opened 3 NEF files as layers from Develop module.

For others like @SeanNY  it is another problem with HEIC files specifically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the function works as advertised for all file types except HEIC files.  I suspect that is the root of the problem for other users too, because older iPhones create JPGs and newer ones create HEICs.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lightroom-doesn-t-open-heic-files-as-layers-... 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SeanNY   TBMK = "To the Best of My Knowledge"

My post (25 March) was referring to Lightroom v4.2 (Cloud based) that does not have the 'Open as layers in Ps' feature,

The problem 'Open as layers' must be specific to some Operating Systems an Lr-Classic installs.

My Classic 10.2  in Windows-10 just successfully opened 23 (.PSD) images as layers.

ScreenShot449.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working in latest LR Classic and Photoshop. Extremely annoying! I rely on the Abobe suite to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent a long time with Adobe support yesterday.  Not sure if this is the issue for everyone but for me, the problem is limited to HEIC files, which is the new iPhone "raw" standard.

My Lightroom will open any type of files as layers except HEIC.

If this is the same problem for you, there is a very easy workaround.  Select all the photos you want, then export to JPG, then click on "Added by Previous Export" to quickly select your new set of JPGs then Open as Layers in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the same problem for me (now that I experiment with HEIC)

HEIC files will not 'Open as Layers in Photoshop'.

Photoshop interface opens to the Home Screen (showing 'recent' images) but does not open the layered document of HEIC files.

Hopefully (for you and others) Adobe Support will log it as a 'bug' for attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it's Nikon NEF raw files. I have tried with jpegs, and have the same problem unfortunately, so your workaround doesn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines