• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom: "An error occurred when attempting to change modules."

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2012 Dec 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a first time Lightroom(via the Cloud) user (used Capture One before this) and just downloaded it today. The first thing I saw was this error message

"An error occurred when attempting to change modules."

I've updated it to 4.3 and I've tried all the other recommendations I found here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/error-changing-modules-lightroom.html

I don't know what Nik products are but I don't believe I have any.

I'm on a Mac running 10.6.8

Removed this preference file I found here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroom-4.html

So frustrating! Please, can anyone help me???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 31, 2012 Dec 31, 2012

There was an old installer bug which may be related.  If it works in the clean account, copying the files back may work.

Back up your copies of the following files/folders from your user account, and then copy back the versions from the clean account.

Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / Lightroom /

Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Preferences / com.adobe.Lightroom4.plist

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only quote from the webpage that you already visited RE: Permission.

You need to have full permission for reading and writing for the folders and drives that Lr is using - particularly the folder that contains the catalog (i.e. the database Lr is working with).

If you have full permission try re-installing Lr. Un-install it via your OS. And re-install it.

Also, occasionally downloaded programs can become damaged during download - for instance when the download has been interrupted.

Before you re-install, I'd recommend that you download Lr again and use this second download for re-installation.

From the webpage (particularly read the part about Macs):

Solution 5: Set correct permissions on Lightroom folder inside Application Support  

The Lightroom folder inside Application Support could have the wrong permissions preventing Lightroom from writing to it which can cause this error.

• Navigate to the following folder: /Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom
  • Highlight the Lightroom folder and chose File > Get Information
  • Under Sharing & Permission, verify that your have Read & Write Privileges. If not, click the padlock icon at the lower right, enter your password when prompted, then click the Read only entry and select Read & Write.
  Important: (Mac OS) Apple made the user library folder hidden by default with the release of Mac OS X 10.7. If you need access to files in the hidden library folder to perform Adobe-related troubleshooting, see How to access hidden user library files.

Solution 6: Try a different user account.

Copy the Lightroom folder into a new user account or other existing account on your computer. Then, restart Lightroom. The Lightroom folder is in the following locations:

• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Adobe\
  • Windows 7, Vista: [user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\
  • Mac OS: [user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/

Important: (Mac OS) Apple made the user library folder hidden by default with the release of Mac OS X 10.7. If you need access to files in the hidden library folder to perform Adobe-related troubleshooting, see How to access hidden user library files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks web-weaver, I tried all that but to no avail. I will put in a call on Monday to Adobe. I wish it was easier to get a hold of them:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is holidays so expect slower service.

You can also ask at Lightroomforums

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2012 Dec 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue, having downloaded from Creative Cloud, updated to 4.3, checked permissions and deleted preferences. Nothing seems to be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2012 Dec 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't know what else to suggest at this stage except perhaps removing Lightroom and all bits you can find associated then d/load from the Adobe site as a trial which ought to be then picked up by the CC registration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2012 Dec 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new user account, this has worked for another Lightroomer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Geoff. The fresh install didn't work, but the new user account did the trick, though I was hoping that wouldn't be the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an old installer bug which may be related.  If it works in the clean account, copying the files back may work.

Back up your copies of the following files/folders from your user account, and then copy back the versions from the clean account.

Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / Lightroom /

Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Preferences / com.adobe.Lightroom4.plist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2013 Jan 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, tried basically everything so far without any success. The suggested trick of Victoria resulted in Lightroom not being able to  switch any module anymore. With a new user I was able to access slideshow, my current user still is not able to switch to slideshow. If anybody has another idea or solution, please let me know too.

EDIT:

Are any of you running two screens? Disconnect the 2nd screen and it will work without any issues. At least it did for me. Bringing back the 2nd screen and you will end up in the same mess as before.

Nachricht geändert durch Hennisch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm ashamed to admit that I discovered the real solution to my problem. I had indeed installed a Red Giant plugin that once I deleted it I was good to go. I had completely forgotten I had installed that. That really doesn't settle your two screen problem, but just another thing to think about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several hours of trying to fix this problem and then waiting forever to speak to Adobe the problem appears to have resolved itself. I have no idea how. As soon as I was on the line with Adobe the darn thing just opened up normally and seems to be working.

I have to say that Adobe has the worst customer service!! Good luck trying to get through to them and then good luck understanding the person on the other line.

Thanks for all the suggestions here! I really apprecaite the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is holidays but thanks for your feedback.

kcphoto26 wrote:

After several hours of trying to fix this problem and then waiting forever to speak to Adobe the problem appears to have resolved itself. I have no idea how. As soon as I was on the line with Adobe the darn thing just opened up normally and seems to be working.

I have to say that Adobe has the worst customer service!! Good luck trying to get through to them and then good luck understanding the person on the other line.

Thanks for all the suggestions here! I really apprecaite the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had LR from the start, and have always updated to the new. On LR4 I just ran into this'   "An error occurred when attempting to change modules."  

As I normally work fra a Macbook Pro, I always use 2 screens. My LR4 problem seem to have been fixed, just turning the screenmode to dublicate screen, access slideshow that now would work,

and then turning screenmode back to my normal setup'. LR4 now seems to work fine, so 2 screen setup appears to have a conflict somewhere, but just turning screenmode back and forth might

be a easy first tjeck that migth fix it for you'

Thanks for all the info in here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can i do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danwildmind wrote:

how can i do that?

Wow this is an old thread.  There's a tech note now Troubleshooting guide for errors that can occur when you change modules in Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, i've visited that page. I updated my lightroom cc 2015 trial, but i don't know if i updated it to the latest version or not. solution 2 doesn't help, cause i have cc 2015 version. i haven't tried uninstalling the app, cause i have the trial, so maybe adobe won't let me reinstall it. Also there are many solutions telling to change file names, which i can't find. And everyone tells to rename different files, so i'm kinda lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, don't worry, we'll figure it out.  So you're on a trial at the moment, so Lightroom's never worked before?  Do you have Nik or OnOne software installed by any chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it party works on the adobe site. I typed their names names into the spotlight search, there are some developers related to the adobe, but not the apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure what you're saying about Spotlight.

If it works on the Adobe website (you mean http://lightroom.adobe.com) that's good, but we still need to get the desktop working for you, so if you could just answer my other questions, we should be able to move forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS El Capitan. The app never worked before and yet still not working. I don't remember myself doing that, i was just editing a photo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that helps.  If you were editing a photo, then Lightroom must have been able to open before?  Or were you editing somewhere else?

And when it stops working, it just says "error changing modules"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was editing on this site Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

First the lightroom starting picture comes out, then Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 2.04.39 .png comes out  and then Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 2.07.00 .png sign comes out and then Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 2.08.31 .png comes out. sometimes one these windows doesn't pop out or they show up in different order, but Lightroom still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!  That's exactly the information I needed.

Open Finder.

Go to the Go menu, and hold down the Alt/Opt key.  Library will show up in the menu.  Click on it.

The Finder window opens to your user account Library.  Navigate to Application Support/Adobe/

Right-click (Ctrl-click) on the Lightroom folder in that location and choose Get Info.

In the Get Info window, look at the bottom.  There may be a locked padlock - if so, click on it and enter your password.

2016-01-21_11-01-47.png

In the Sharing & Permissions section, check your username is set to Read & Write.

Click the cog icon below and select Apply to Enclosed Items and then hit OK.

Then try to open Lightroom again and see if it'll work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!! I did it! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines