• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Losing photos to filename

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is a Lightroom thing or a Finder/Apple thing...

When having a particular catalogue open in Lightroom, it seems that it is changing photos with similar filenames to the same photo. For example 0G7A9500.CR3, 0G7A9500-2.CR3, 0G7A9500-3.CR3 have all become the same photo. In the file where the original files are saved, they've changed as well. 

Problem only seems to be happeneing whilst Lightroom is open.

I should also say I don't know why the same file name came around so quickly as these were taken only days apart.

Any help hugely appreciated..! Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand what exactly you did. Such file names are not normal file names coming out of a camera, so "these were taken only days apart" does not seem logical.. It looks like these are three copies of one and the same photo.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware, they all came out of the camera as 0G7A9500.CR3, then the computer has recognized the same name and added the -2, -3. They were different photos, but now they have become the same photo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware, they all came out of the camera as 0G7A9500.CR3, then the computer has recognized the same name and added the -2, -3. They were different photos, but now they have become the same photo. 

By @philj64650650

I find that very unlikely. Your camera cannot save three different images on its memory card and give them the exact same name. That is technically not possible (unless they were saved in different directories, but cameras don't normally use the same name but different directories). So I think you downloaded the same image three times somehow.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I think you downloaded the same image three times somehow.

By @JohanElzenga

Agreed. Probably by not erasing the camera card before going out and taking more photos, and then telling Lightroom Classic NOT to ignore duplicates when the user imported the photos from the camera card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Card was formatted between uses/days...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also watching the thumbnails change in Lightroom from the existing pictures to duplicates of others. It's very difficult to describe well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Card was formatted between uses/days...

By @philj64650650

I don’t have a recent Canon body, but some cameras have a setting where the image sequence starting number is automatically reset during each card reformat. If a camera is set that way, on import Lightroom Classic would have to resolve the duplicate filename by adding to the end of the filename.

Another possible way Lightroom Classic would rename a file automatically is if Rename Files is in effect in the Import dialog box. Other than that, Lightroom Classic alters original file names only when you tell it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file name is reset after each card reformat, then I doubt the filename number suffix gets to 9500 three times in short succession. The most likely scenario by far remains that the same image was imported three times. Especially because that is the basic problem: it's the same image...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this doesn't show file names but this shows what's happening in lightroom. Some of the images changing as lightroom loads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not very helpful without seeing the file names, but it seems like a problem with previews to me, not a problem with file names changing all lf a sudden. You can make Lightroom show the file name in the grid by using 'View - View Options'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga 

On Canon cameras you can change the first 4 letters of the filename that the camera records so it could be 0G7Afilenumber.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga 

On Canon cameras you can change the first 4 letters of the filename that the camera records so it could be 0G7Afilenumber.

By @Bob Somrak

Bob,

I know that but you're completely missing the point. I'm not talking about the first four letters of the file name, I'm talking about the file number suffix. What I am saying is that even Canon cameras will not save three images that are all called '0G7A9500.CR3'. They would normally be called '0G7A9500.CR3', 0G7A9501.CR3' and '0G7A9502.CR3'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Canon R3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the default file name syntax in the Canon R3 is IMG_nnnn.CR3 (for RAW) where nnnn are the sequential number 0001 thru 9999.

To get 0G7A9500.CR3 you would have to change that in camera settings. Did you? Or is this a LrC or other post processing change as in rename file??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are probably using an import Rename like this

Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 10.54.06 AM.jpg

 which will give you imported filenames like this

Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 10.53.36 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines