• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic CC gross over saturation of images

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday when I opened LR or PS to edit photos from a recent trip I noticed that the colors displayed are grossly over saturated. They have a very noticeable reddish cast and very over saturated (specialy warm tones). When I compare two same images one outside LR and the other in it the difference is incredible.

I have restarted the computer, recalibrated the monitor with i1 from X-Rite and also tried to set sRGB as default color profile. Nothing works. Please what can I do??

Both LR and PS are updated and I'm running them on Windows 8.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of the entire Lightroom window with an image in Develop, with the History panel, Histogram and the Basic panel visible and expanded, as well as a screenshot of the same image viewed outside Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the image as I see on LR, PS or any other color managed software. Very oversaturated colors. Below is the same image from my website, with correct colors (light orange, not glowing)

screen1.jpg

DSC9530.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is strange is that I have never had this problem before, and I use this monitor and computer for a few years. I haven't changed any configurations and I don't think it's a hardware issue because I see the correct colors on the internet and such. The problem only happens in color managed editing softwares, such as LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that the exported image was exported before the colors changed in Lightroom, is that right?

Can you also go to Control panel > Color management, and verify that the current monitor profile is the one you created by calibration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it was exported months ago.

I have verified that the default color profile is the one created by my monitor. I have also changed between it and sRGB and Adobe RGB. No noticeable change.

I have also connected my computer to my TV, and the colors look over satured on it as well in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On another note, I have just exported again the same image in JPEG and sRGB, uploaded it to the web and the colors look fine on Google Chrome. The problem is within a color managed environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to disable the GPU, there could be a bug in the GPU driver.

Edit > Preferences > Performance, uncheck Use graphics processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's already disabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see the same over saturation in Library, or is it only in Develop?

Are you able to work with the GPU on?

If you are, does turning it on make any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a colour management strategy or colour profiles actively in Photoshop?

Have these got into your workflow between PS and LR? and embedded some profiles and in images that have produced the over-stauration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have managed a "fix". Apparently the profiles created by my calibration device are bugged. For some reason I have 3 monitors on my list of monitors, when I should have only one. After changing all 3 to sRGB the colors look fine in LR. This is still not an ideal solution as with a "wide gamut" monitor I'd prefer to be working on something closer to Adobe RGB, but is better than nothing as I continue looking for a solution. At least now I can work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you run the calibration, make sure to create a matrix based, version 2 profile.

Table based and/or version 4 profiles can create problems.

I haven't mentioned this before because you seemed to have the same problem with sRGB and Adobe RGB.

Tony_See  wrote

Are you using a colour management strategy or colour profiles actively in Photoshop?

Have these got into your workflow between PS and LR? and embedded some profiles and in images that have produced the over-stauration?

In a color managed workflow, embedded profiles don't need to match the working space, and workings spaces don't need to match between applications. Images will display correctly regardless.

The only exception is viewing Adobe RGB images on a standard gamut monitor (which has roughly an sRGB gamut).

If the image contains colors that cannot be reproduced in sRGB, they will be clipped to sRGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that now but still not working. The profile created by my calibration device still gives me the weird colors. I only get rid of it when I choose sRGB or Adobe RGB as default profile. Do you think this could be a hardware problem on my calibration device? It's a pretty old i1 from X-Rite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still get the over saturation using a matrix based version 2 profile, then yes, I would guess the calibrator is broken.

Probably time to get a new one. It probably makes no difference, but you could check that the calibrator software is up to date first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Per Bersten wrote:

In a color managed workflow, embedded profiles don't need to match the working space, and workings spaces don't need to match between applications. Images will display correctly regardless.

The only exception is viewing Adobe RGB images on a standard gamut monitor (which has roughly an sRGB gamut).

If the image contains colors that cannot be reproduced in sRGB, they will be clipped to sRGB.

That may be the case but I would still subscribe to the idea that when two files contain miss-matched colour profiles, that journey to delivery platform can produce results that clip and shift colours.

I read that the OP was seeing that above, hence my 2Ā¢ worth.

Whether or not we agree it includes such saturation shift is perhaps still yet to be determined here Per  .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you could share the original raw file from your camera. Also provide info about any special settings you have set in camera while capturing the image.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27ā€ mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not camera related. I think the problem's been solved, the profiles generated by my calibrator are corrupted. I will do some more tests and post here if I find out any new information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What model monitor and i1 display calibrator are you using? The older Eye 1 Display 1 and 2 pucks were designed for CCFL backlight displays and don't work properly with the new LED backlight displays.

Monitor calibration problem with eye-one display 2: Printers and Printing Forum: Digital Photography...

You may be able to find a calibration profile at TFT Central for your monitor model that you can download and test. If it corrects the issue your calibrator is probably defective or incompatible with the monitor's backlight.

ICC Profiles and Monitor Settings Database - TFTCentral

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines