• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic: Image Pixelated in Library View, OK in Develop

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I scan images in Library view at 1:1 or 2:1 to judge sharpness.

Occasionally, some images are unsharp in Library view, WAY unsharp. If I go to Develop module, image is rendered sharply. 

Appears that the image NEVER sharpens-up in Library view. Bug?

Here's a screen movie, 25 seconds. Image is camera-scan of 35mm color negative.  https://vimeo.com/368784332

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please tell us what operating system  - I see you are on Mac - and version of Lightroom you are using?

And are you storing image files on a different drive than the start up drive? From the video it appears your image file is on the main boot drive.

IS this only a problem with scanned images ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kent...

- Lightroom 8.4.

- Image files in this case are on boot drive with catalog. Happens occasionally with images and cat on ext drive.

- To be clear, the problem image is a Sony A6000 digital camera shot of a 35mm negative. Problem happens randomly, maybe 1 out of 20 or 50, with all nature of digital camera images. 

- In this case, the problem is obvious; looking in Library I KNOW the image is better than shown. Other times it is not obvious and in Library at 1:1 just looks like an unsharp image. Dangerous. Has caused me to discard some sharp images.

- Question: When this happens, what can I do to properly render the image?Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 9.59.15 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drivers can only be updated on Windows. They are an essential part of Mac OS.

Have you checked if Library preview are up to date?

Select a thumbnail and from  the menu choose:

Library  >> Previews >> Build 1:1 Previews

You can do it on a single image or all images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Library view vs Develop. The Library view never clears.

Library view never sharpens.Library view never sharpens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphic processor...  Auto.

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 10.06.19 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try updating your graphics card driver to see if that resolves the problem.

You could try turning off GPU acceleration to see if that fixes the problem.

If neither of those options solve the problem you can either try a different graphics card or just not use the library module with that image. Frankly, I seldom use that module. Occasionally I will have an image that will take several seconds to pop into focus, but eventually it finally does.

Have you optimized your catalog recently?

You could try increasing your cache size a little bit. Don't know if it would make a difference, but worth a try.

You can scan your images at magnification levels in  the develop module to check for sharpness. You just have to move along the filmstrip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why the Library previews don't load properly.

You can try Jon's advice, but I would first choose Discard 1:1 preview, and then Build 1:1 preview.

Or like Jim suggested, use Develop, that's what I do.

Develop previews are created on the fly, whereas Library previews need more time to render if they don't already exist at the required size.

Develop previews are stored in the Camera raw cache, and increasing it has no effect on Library previews, which are stored elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried discarding and rebuilding 1:1 preview. No change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several thoughts

1. In catalog settings, what are you selecting for standard preview size? Too small? And what about quality?

item 6 in: https://www.findingtheuniverse.com/improve-lightroom-classic-cc-performance/

2. Are your library previews corrupt?

not exactly on point: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gives-error-preview-cache.html

3. Are you using Smart Preiews ? Corrupt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see in the video clip, the image doesn't sharpen up in Library. Tried lots of things, including waiting four hours. No change; Library view still extremely pixelated. 

24 hours later, Library view looks OK. 

This is NOT solved. I still see this behavior randomly, every few days, one or more images are presented some degree of unsharp in Library, sometimes subtle, sometimes wicked as in this case. Makes Library unreliable for me as a place to sort and qualify photos. If Adobe personnel are reading this, can you give me any suggestions to insure that images render in the Library view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, my thank you to Kent, Per, and David for your suggestions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the random image files that are unsharp in the Library module are using the raw file's embedded preview, which is much smaller. Try removing one of the images with the issue by selecting it, hit the Delete key, and select 'Remove.' Next right-click on the folder and select 'Synchronize Folder.' Check the 1:1 Preview again in the Library module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Todd. Sounds like a plan; will try next time I see this behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same thing here. When I view JPEG in preview mode they are blocky but fine in develop mode. I've also now started noticing that when I upload JPEGs to Flickr that have been exported in LR they also appear blocky despite being fine in develop mode. This is certainly a bug and not acceptable for what I pay per month. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you try optimizing the catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines