• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Classic, MacBook Pro 17 with Touch Bar cooling fan running on high always

New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reset the SMC and PRAM but when I have LR Classic open, even when starting the computer from being off over night (so the laptop is cool to the touch...)... the cooling fan runs at a high level and will run for as long as I have LR open.  This is a new (within the last few days...) issue with the program.

I am running with an external monitor but it does not matter if that's plugged in or not... same results.

Any suggestions?

LR 7.3.1

OS 10.13.4

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not super computer savvy, however in the LR preferences, try turning off the GPU to see if that might be the issue. Here is the link and the instructions. This is just a first try to see what the problem is. I have a 13 inch nest MacBookPro with touch bar and I do not have this problem with the latest Lightroom. Anyhow, try this and see.

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newer versions of LR use more CPU and GPU than older versions, by design, and this often causes the fans to run often or constantly, depending on your computer.  Usually, this is normal and expected, but there have been a few reports that LR uses an unusally high amount of CPU even when it is idle.

The first thing to check is whether LR is running tasks in background (building previews, syncing with LR CC, face detection).  See this post for how to check: Re: iMac 2017 fan noise .

If you don't see any of these background activities, next start Activity Monitor and do View > Update Frequencey > 1 sec. Start LR and then let LR sit idle for 30 seconds. Post a screenshot of Activity Monitor's CPU graph.  This is what it looks like on my MacBook Pro Retina:

There's a small bump in activity for the first 15 seconds or so and then total usage drops to under 3-4% while LR is idle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis, thank you... your link pointed me in the right direction and I believe I've sorted it out... at the beginning of the week when I started having this issue I somehow turned on Face Detection (I shoot 99.999999999% people...) and I have MASSIVE catalog so your link pointed me to that and I believe it has solved the problem!!  Computer seems to be back to "normal"

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! So glad you got it figured out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines