• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR "loses" images when "finding missing folder" but won't allow re-import

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running LR CC, 2015.10, on a new iMac. I've moved a LR catalog from a MBP to the iMac and am getting it set up. All of the files are on a Drobo 5N, which LR thought was on "Public-1" on the MBP but is really "Public" on the iMac (No, I don't know why...). In finding "Missing Folders" for images I've attempted to select whole subdirectories--e.g., "2002", getting the Finder window, selecting the correct enveloping folder--again, "2002" on "Public"--and clicking on the Select button. That's fine, EXCEPT that the entire "2002" directory and accompanying subdirectories do not appear on "Public". When I attempt to re-import, LR indicates all of those images are already in the catalog. However, the "2002" directory on "Public-1"still shows that directory has images, but the subdirectories do not and LR still shows "2002" on Public-1" has images. Those images and the "1999" directory do not appear in the LR sidebar, so I can't see those images or access them. Here's an image that shows part of the problem: Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 5.02.16 PM.jpg

As a consequence, I'm having to work my way manually through every subdirectory, selecting those images that are indicated as "missing", clicking multiple times (to select "Public", then the top-most directory, and wend my way down the directory tree to the selected image so I can tell LR which image is which. LR then figures out where the images are and updates the catalog just fine...but I have another 93K images left to process and it's REALLY time-consuming.

So, my key questions are: 1) How do I force/make LR show "2002" directory correctly under "Public"? and 2) is there really way for LR to make the change a little more globally (and I've tried the "Update Location" trick and it didn't work...). Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

You will see either "Find Missing Folder" or "Update Folder Location", depending on the situation.

The former option is presented when the folder concerned CANNOT currently be found at its former address.

The latter option is presented when such a folder CAN currently be found at its former address; but you want to use a different location instead; one where other copies of these same images exist.

RP

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not re-import anything! THis just makes matters worse!

The correct method to restore links would have been-

1. Right-Click on the { Public-1 } folder in the folders panel

2. Choose  [Update folder location]

3. In Finder dialog that opens- select the { Public } folder

4. Click the [Select Folder]  button.

This would re-link all folders starting with the 'Top-most' folder and including all sub-folders (and the images contained) to the 'new' { Public } location.

Because you have already made some changes this now may not re-link everything.

Backup the Catalog and try the steps above, and report back.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I tried that first and it didn't work. Thanks.

CPB

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More details now that I'm at my iMac: a Right Click on the offending folder (any of them...) yields this:

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 9.45.16 AM copy.jpg

The option to "Update Folder" doesn't appear. I've tried multiple combinations of Ctrl-Click, Option-Click, Cmd-Click, etc., from 1 to multiple folders, and "Update Folder" doesn't appear...thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You will see either "Find Missing Folder" or "Update Folder Location", depending on the situation.

The former option is presented when the folder concerned CANNOT currently be found at its former address.

The latter option is presented when such a folder CAN currently be found at its former address; but you want to use a different location instead; one where other copies of these same images exist.

RP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines