• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR3 Slow Rendering

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought id post this up.. see if anyone else is having probs.. everytime i make an image adj, esp in the basic tab the image only fully renders if i zoom into it.. this is getting on my nerves now.. and also they seem to have removed the really close magnification on the zoom.. another feature missed for me.

PLSPLSPLS Adobe...

Continual rendering or atleast the option..

And the super zoom back.

Aaaaathankingyou.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 124 Replies 124
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I have the same problem. Lightroom 2 was fine. The only way to get the image to display properly after each adjustment is to zoom in and out.

I'm really not happy about this. Surly this should have been picked up under beta testing.

I really would welcome a fix for this real quick!

Any Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Si Guy aka Rayeza wrote:

Just thought id post this up.. see if anyone else is having probs.. everytime i make an image adj, esp in the basic tab the image only fully renders if i zoom into it.. this is getting on my nerves now.. and also they seem to have removed the really close magnification on the zoom.. another feature missed for me.

PLSPLSPLS Adobe...

Continual rendering or atleast the option..

And the super zoom back.

Aaaaathankingyou.

Something is wrong.  You should be seeing the results of any adjustment on the basic tab at all magnifications.  Perhaps you can elaborate on what you mean by "fully renders".  LR does take some shortcuts at magnifications other than 100% in the interest of performance.

Also, the zoom ratios are unchanged for LR2.

Rory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In My case I can see can see changes instantly, but its the resolution of the image that is lost until I magnify, then return to normal view.

Its more noticeable on images with curves and diagonal lines. They become jagged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok so what i mean is that i adj my image... it can be any tab really not just the basic.. and the resolution drops right off.. jagged curves etc.. but once i stop moving the slider it doesnt pop back to pin sharp quality.. jus just remains at a poor quality and i have to zoom in and out of the image to get it to sharpen up..

i dont know if u guys messed with beta but they had a level of zoom that was VERY close on cmd +.. you could literally see the pixels and when (say for instance) i was working on someones eyes it makes it easier to distinguish between two diff nodes... it all seems to have gone a bit clumsy again...

and as a final note the adjment brush takes a couple of seconds after i have depressed the mouse to actually show the effect... the beta v actually work better for me than the final version.. altho i will finish on a high note.. the import times are excellent.

i hope Adobe are watchin and working on the render issue atleast.. its making me feel like im not wearing my glasses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is defiantly the same as mine, we cant be the only ones.

What is the spec of your system?  and what os?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMac 2.66ghz.. 4gb ram.. OSX 10.6.3

Yea.. we do.. will just have to wait for an update... until then... zoom in..... zoooom out haha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'm on a Imac 24in 2.8GHz Running os 10.5.8. So upgrading to Snow leopard wont help me either.

Hopefully It will get resolved soon.

Nathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you really expecting Lightroom to render a full 100% preview image in real time? It is going to take at least a few seconds to calculate the entire image in full resolution from the raw data even on the fastest computers. That is what it has to do in the Library module (where the basic develop tools reside) in ordert to show you a zoomed in image after you change a parameter. In the Develop module, it simply only calculates the part of the image you can see when zoomed in and when zoomed out it only calculates at lower resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Of course not. Right, I am talking about the fit to screen view in the develop window.  It starts of fine then any adjustment makes the image jagged, and it stays that way until I zoom in and out. ( forcing it to re-render )  Then as soon as any slider is moved it goes all jagged again.

Lightroom 2 only stays jagged for a fraction of a second. Lightroom 3 stays jagged until I force it to re-render.

In short

1 Open image in Develop window, It looks fine

2 Make any adjustments ie Exposure, recovery etc and the image instantly turns jagged and remains that way.

3 Using mouse or space bar to change to 100% and back to fit on screen the image is now fine.( If you don't let it complete this fully it wont correct it.)

4 Attempt to make any adjustments and it goes again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had that problem in any of the version of Lightroom. Move the slider and the images gets jagged, I mean. It look like a bug or slow machine issue. It shouldn't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I am talking about the fit to screen view in the develop window.  It starts of fine then any adjustment makes the image jagged, and it stays that way until I zoom in and out. ( forcing it to re-render )  Then as soon as any slider is moved it goes all jagged again.

That's not normal. I am using an older 2.66 GHz Core2Duo Mac Book Pro with 8 Gigs of memory and a stock harddrive that has full disk encryption on it (endpoint). I am right now driving a 30" Dell wide gamut display with it with Lightroom in full screen mode. Certainly this should not be a very fast machine, but I see no pixellation on ramping the sliders in the Develop module. It updates the image in Fit mode live whatever slider I use. Something is wrong on your machine. Please try emptying the camera Raw cache (in Preferences->File Handling) and make sure it is sufficiently large (I have mine on 10 gigs). Also try optimizing your catalog (in catalog settings)

P.S. One thing that Lightroom does appear to do is forget about the output sharpening (this has NOTHING to do with the capture sharpening in the Develop module) preview at Fit when you ramp sliders. It shows a preview equivalent to LR 2 without applied output sharpening. It will only apply this extra sharpening preview when zooming in and out. This doesn't make the image jagged, just slightly softer upon ramping sliders. It clearly does this for speed reasons, but perhaps Lightroom should have some heuristics to make it rerender the output sharpening preview after you have stopped playing with the sliders for a while. This is a new feature of Lightroom 3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way this one is answered! I shoot sports and i havent seen rendering this awful at the largest thumbnail size. I ussually could read the bib numbers on people before and didnt have to go into full mag of the file very often but not it is fuzzy and takes way to long to generate even though i went ahead and optimized the files in the folder.

Not happy with this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have had this exact problem not to mention others. But I'm also seeing a lag in rendering my adjustments. I have found I will over shoot an adjustment because I think it's rendered.

Just plain annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, and not for lack of Power in my mac pro tower with 12 gig Ram! it annoys me too that for me to see sharpening taking hold i need to zoom in. Is this really 64 bit or is it just called that??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My sympathies guys. I haven't had a single bug or problem to report yet. So I can't prove or disprove what you are saying. And the funny thing is that I haven't seen this problem on any of the versions of Lightroom. Since version 1. Done wedding, and large amount of images with lots of local adjustments on different computers and I have never seen any delay when making adjustment. The only time I have seen it was when version 2 first came out. On slower machines Adjustment brush was slow and had a delay, but never with slider type adjustments. So, logical assumption from my experience would be that the problem is not Lr itself, but something to do with OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

What is your screen size, your camera model and typical ISO of images that need to be zoomed before noise/sharpening take affect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought id quickly reply as ur a pro..

All RAW images with a full range of ISO are affected... im shooting with a Canon 5dmkii.. and just to confirm specifically the NR and Sharpening are not the issue.. its all adjustments.. altho when i apply NR in develop module the image pops back to full qual but when i reduce it, it affects the image but it does not pop back to full res ie the curves are still jagged.

thanks... hope you can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these photos with existing settings, or are they new imports?  Just try something for me - rather than zooming in and out again, flick to the next picture and back again instead.  I'm wondering if you're seeing the same bug I reported a couple of weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Bug details were :

Product: Lightroom

Bug number: 2633178

Version: 3.0

Build:LR3R43

Bug Title: Develop sharpening preview gets stuck

Steps to Reproduce:

1.  Apply major sharpening to raw photo - i.e. 150, 3.0, 100 - using  PV2010.

2.  Write that to xmp.

3.  Create a new catalog, and import that photo amongst others, so that you're importing a photo with existing settings.

4.  Switch to Develop module and view that photo.

Actual Result:

Sharpening isn't applied to Fit view until you move a slider or move to a  different photo and back again.   It is applied to the Detail preview.

Expected Result:

Expected the sharpening to be previewed once finished loading, but it  doesn't happen without prompting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, what is the screen size you're working at. Are you working at full screen, or in a window? Does the behavior change if you either make the window smaller or larger, or hide/show panels?

-melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Melissa, Right I have just tried reducing the lightroom window size and I makes things much better.

Ok, so my Imac screen is 24in, If I bring in the bottom right hand corner in about 1in the problem vanishes.

If I Hide the side the side panels to make the image in fit to screen mode bigger the problem remains.

So it looks like the bug is related to screen size / Resolution Mine is 1920x1200.

lightroom 2 which I have use for ages has never been a problem.

I really hope this can be fixed soon as I bought the upgrade in good faith that it would be ok having been beta tested. I wish now I had gone for the 30 days trial.

Nathan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow this seems to have really blown up lol...

Nathan.. i noticed one other funny thing u might wanna try... its not an answer just helps show the problem.. affect ur image so its in is lowres jagged state then increase the noise reduction slider... after the NR is applied the image snaps back to high quality.. but if you decrease the NR it remains in its jagged state... weird.

i know there are plently of people trying to help but i feel they just dont get it fully... be patient.. Adobe will clock it eventually.

and let me just catagorically state NO MY Q HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED lol..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Melissa - I've been seeing this, too (at first I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me).

I did some experimentation and it seems to be occuring when using "Fit".  If I change to 1:4, it appears to be ok.

I've tried waiting "a while" and it doesn't fix it, but if I zoom into 100% the image detail comes back promptly, regardless of how long I waited in "Fit" - so it is not performance related.

I've seen it happen with adjustments in the Basic panel - for example, Clarity.  I also have lens correction turned on (using profiles).

Running Windows XP with a 1920 x 1200 display.

Thanks,

Selby

Message was edited by: Selby Shanly to add screen size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines