• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR5 Crashing While Culling

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched over to Lightroom 5 last night, and am trying to go through the current rather large amount of photos I need to edit and after about 50-100 photos LR crashes, with no error messages or anything. Windows just says its stopped working and starts trying to find a solution. I have tried reinstalling twice, and running as admin. Nothing seems to be working.

I really want to use LR5 as it seems faster on this older machine. Any help would rock.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Thank you all who reported the issue and have volunteered to test out the bug fix. Adobe has posted a note on how to apply the hotfix. Please check out http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-5-crashes-editing-images.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is  crash dump using process A:

http://wwww.s251757588.onlinehome.us/tempshares/lightroomcrashdump.zip

and here is a dump from another crash

My crashes have all been during the culling process, and 80% of the time seem to be caused by fast fingers moving back and forth quickly changing ratings.  ... but I am definitely getting some crashes where I'm moving between images at a very moderate pace.  Deleting all previews kept me crash free for a few hours yesterday, but today I've crashed now twice in 20 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am unable to install on my windows 7 setup. I have x64 home premium. Running as administrator and in compatability mode with xp/ vista made no difference.

I uploaded crash files from the location that ChopBam found and they are hosted here:

www.s251757588.onlinehome.us/tempshares/lightroomcrash.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe, fix your crap. This happens way too often. No error reports. Nothing to help trouble shoot. It happens to me on different computers with good hardware. I waste literal hours because I lose my culling progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dan: I've done both, and there are crashing issues on both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With upgrades of earlier versions of LR, I have found that deleting all previews, previews.db, rootpixels.db, and the acr cache, and then recreating them afresh can solve most problems I have had, including crashes. No idea why this works, or what can go wrong in an upgrade, but it is worth a try. I now routinely do this after upgrading a catalog. Just finishing off rendering my 1:1s - they do take a long while! If you want to get working quickly, just do the standard previews, and add 1:1s as necessary later.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crashing problem happens for me with catalogs made freshly in LR5 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make sure you try manually delete all previews from LR 4. I'm not sure if the fresh LR5 catalog would borrow from those old previews or not, but I've been crash free for 3-4 hours whereas yesterday I was crashing every 15 minutes.  I'm still using my converted LR 4.4 catalog, but I deleted all previews (including everything else in the folder)    ... I also rebooted my computer several times and installed a bunch of windows security updates, but I'm guessing the preview delete was the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just the thing--there are no old previews. It's a fresh LR5 catalog pointing to a completely new set of cr2 files. There's nothing left over from LR4, because LR4 hasn't touched those photos in the first place. I'll let the techs look over the crash dump.

Thanks for the replies though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, double check that you're harddrive has a decent amount of free space. Somehow through the setup up new catalogs, crash dump files and who knows what else I added 20+ gb to my ssd drive in one day.... LR crashed, and I happend to look at my hard drive and had 24kb free. I had over 40 GB of raw caches and temp files etc that I was able to delete....  Maybe LR5 is writing a bunch of temp stuff to the hardrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 60GB free on my SSD, but my catalog files are all on the external HDD's with the cr2 files, and I have a bit over 2TB free on that particular drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've looked at the dump file. It seems that it crashed while you were doing something in the UI that requires Lightroom to rebuild some popup menu items. Does this offer some hint for you to more consistently reproduce it? Since it is still crashing for you on a new catalog, I am wondering if there are some user specific Lightroom presets that LR5 does not like. Try rename "C:\Users\<your user account>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom" to "C:\Users\<your user account>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom.old" and then see if you can get Lightroom 5 to crash again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I renamed the "Lightroom" folder inside "C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\" to "Lightroom.old." Naturally, my develop presets were de-linked. After sorting through about 700 photos on a gallery I created after renaming AppData's Lightroom folder, and flagging about 200 of them (using Loupe view under Library mode), it crashed while I was continuing to scroll using my L&R arrow keys.

I used Method B to gather the crash dump file(s) this time.

http://andyhasak.com/other/lrcrashdumps/lightroom_dump2.zip

There is no specific action I take that causes it to crash. I could be scrolling through photos in the filmstrip in Loupe view, or applying a preset in Develop, or adjusting any of Develop's sliders, then the program crashes indiscriminately. If I edit for a while, then close/reopen the program, edit for a while, close/reopen, rinse and repeat, I can keep it from crashing. It never crashes immediately after I open, but seemingly only after a certain amount of activity. If I edit quick and hard, I can usually get it to crash 5-10 minutes after the program opens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two more thoughts: have you updated your graphics card driver? They are some of the buggiest software around IME. Also have you created a new prefs file free from LR4 stuff? LR tends to harvest stuff from any old prefs files it finds, rather than create a new one from scratch - to save us having to reorganise a new one. I've had to delete old prefs files or rename them to prevent LR doing this.

I'm using Win8, i-3930K, 16GB ram, Quadro 2000, and not getting any crashes - yet!.

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and yes. GFX drivers are up to date and preferences are fresh. It is crashing still. Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a shot in the dark (like all my other suggestions).

I host my images on a NAS, but my catalog and previews are on a local SSD. During the LR5 beta I discovered and confirmed with other users that If you edited images too quickly, while LR was still "loading" images  then it would reliably crash immediately. As far as I can tell that has been fixed (at least in the scenario that I had noticed it before)

What if there is a variant of this bug still around. Since you have your catalog and everything but program files are hosted on traditional hardrives it is feasible that you could edit faster then your hardrives could keep up.  Maybe they keep up for awhile, but after 10-15 min of lot's of little read/ write the que builds up enough that LR is trying to write data to the catalog while cache previews etc are still being loaded.

The staff guy said that it crashed while menu items were trying to be populated which makes me think that LR was getting bogged down waiting on something. 

If you're still wanting to try new things, try moving your catalog, previews, and raw cache to your SSD.... or try editing slower, being more deliberate about waiting until an image is fully loaded (and the cache preview too) before making adjustments.     (edit - I thought I had figured something out, but this afternoon I'm back to crashing every 5-15 min WTF!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone. All three dmps point to the same crash. We're investigating it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2013 Jun 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is helpful but just in case...

When the crashes happen, Windows "whites out" the screen a little to emhpasise the crash reporting dialog.

However noticed tonight that the flagging images in the lower toolbar had become corrupted at the point of the crash:

http://cdn.leask.org/6m/PC/Capture.JPG

I've previously also noticed some corruption in the thumbnails and also in the right-hand pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other observations:

• crashes happen while flagging/culling in Library and Develop modules. Subjectively, it feels like crashes happen less often in Develop but I can't prove that.
  • while navigating around in the Develop module and *actually developing* rather than flagging/culling, I've not seen any problems (yet?)
  • doesn't seem to matter which of the four panes are open/closed around the screen

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug appears when using the KBSC for flaging, rating and labeling in the library module, and is a Windows only issue. There is a resource leak. This is now fixed, which will show up in the next dot release. Sorry for the inconvenience that this might have caused. And thanks for everyone here to bring this bug to light.

The current workaround is to 1) restart LR 5 once a while; or 2) use the develop module for flaging, rating and labeling; or 3) use the toolbar or menu command to do the flaging, rating and labeling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us have been also having crashes in develop mode while editing photos so please don't count this issue as closed. These crashes (at least for me) are not as frequent but are still very disruptive. Can we continue to post crash dumps for crashes that specifically occur while in develop mode?

Also, any idea a time frame for the first dot release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to confirm what dan3430 said. The crashes occur in Develop mode as well, the details of which I explained in a previous post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resource leak also occurs in the develop module using the same set of KBSC, but the extent of the resource leak is not as bad as the library module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear you have found the problem - I also see the crash in the Develop module as well so hopefully you have also included this in your fix.

Do you have any idea when the next (first?!) dot release is due to be released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am looking for several volunteers to try out the fix. It involves dropping in an updated DLL to replace a faulty component. If you are running on Windows 64-bit OS and likes to try out the fix, please send me an email to sichen {at} adobe {dot} com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have emailed you. Happy to help. I have several thousand images that need rated and flagged and would be a good test I suspect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines