• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR5 Crashing While Culling

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I switched over to Lightroom 5 last night, and am trying to go through the current rather large amount of photos I need to edit and after about 50-100 photos LR crashes, with no error messages or anything. Windows just says its stopped working and starts trying to find a solution. I have tried reinstalling twice, and running as admin. Nothing seems to be working.

I really want to use LR5 as it seems faster on this older machine. Any help would rock.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Thank you all who reported the issue and have volunteered to test out the bug fix. Adobe has posted a note on how to apply the hotfix. Please check out http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-5-crashes-editing-images.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a very different crash issue. I'm on a Mac. I've had the crash working with DNG files from NEFs from 3 different Nikon, so far.

It's quite reproducible. I have not crash logs, because it's not an actual crash -- I have to force quit. Here's how I do it: I check "Enable Profile Correction" and "Contstrain Crop," and then I do some level or vertical correction. If that doesn't work, or if I want to crop the image more, I hit the R key. As soon as I touch the crop grid (or maybe just anyway), the Mac beach-balls. Activity monitor shows it is swapping virtual memory like mad, and in fact the first time it happened I filled my SSD. I have to force quit lightroom. It also happens if I go back to Library and then come back to try to crop. I can crop if I don't try Upright first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simonsaith wrote:

send me an email to sichen {at} adobe {dot} com.

Since it seems to be working, why not post in the lab, together with appropriate disclaimer of course... (assuming it won't be released very shortly as part of a 5.0.1 hotfix, I mean).

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just emailed you. Would love to see if this fixes my problem since is pretty constant.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Errors

I'm still discovering many chrashes (approx 2-3 pr hour work).

The errors are as described here in this thread

I'm running win7 64-bit on two different machine - a desktop with many photos (approx 300.000) and on a laptop with only few images (0 - 1000) - on both machines I experience all these brutal erros contantly.

The errors I see is eg:

• Tethered looses connection to the camera (Nikon D3x)
  • Thethered does not recognize camera
  • Labeling constantly chrashes LR
  • Editing often chrashes LR
  • Idle LR for 10 min or moire - chrashes LR

Etc etc pretty unstable LR

Patch/Bugfix

Is there a bug fix/new version available?

I'm really interested. The current LR have severe problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know status on all these LR5 problems?

Is there any bugfixes available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Søren Langkilde Madsen wrote:

Is there any bugfixes available?

Did you get the (as yet unreleased) "fix" from SimonSaith?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob

No, i dont have this bugfix. Dont know how to get it or when it's publicaly available.

By the way how can I see when i'm talking with Adobe guy and when i'm taling with a user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the thread, you will find Simon offering the patch for people to try it. I don't think anyone else not working for Adobe would have acces to code to compile stuff for it.... (Little tip if you don't want to read, post 50)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Victor

Thanks, got a fast contact with Simon. I'm testing right now.

-- Søren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix seems to be working for me. Hopefully all of the people who predictably said "it's you not the software" will take note that it was the software. There are bugs in software that only affect some users all the time. Adobe would never be offering up a replacement UI dll if that wasn't the case. It's very frustrating when you're trying to get help and people bring out the "it's you not the software" cliche.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a LR .dll that is faulty or a Windows .dll? I've just been reading elsewhere of Windows .dlls that are getting corrupted so often by other software, that Adobe has taken to including them in their software just in case the user has a faulty .dll in Windows!

Bob Frost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bob frost wrote:

Is it a LR .dll that is faulty

Yes - ui.dll (in with Lr program files) to be specific (not a Windows dll).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Def a LR5 dll Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scooby007 wrote:

"it's you not the software"

Reminder: users trying to help you (or whoever) get Lr running well are trying to do it without changing the code (for obvious reasons).

i.e. there is a big difference between saying: "lots of people are not having the problem, so maybe there is a way for you too, without changed code" and "it's you not the software".

In this case, the problem was a bug in Lr which only occured when using Lr a certain way (granted, not an uncommon way, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make). You could have "solved" this problem for yourself, without Adobe's help, by, well, not using Lr that way. (I'm aware that wouldn't be your first choice - again: that's beside the point I'm trying to make).

Reminder #2: this is a user-to-user forum - none of us controls the software - we are all using it "as is". So, why try to convince us about problems with software? - we are not Adobe - we can't debug Lightroom.

There is an Adobe feedback forum for bug reports.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have same crashing problem with LR5 on my WIN 8 64, how i can got the fix?

thank you

Marcin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all who reported the issue and have volunteered to test out the bug fix. Adobe has posted a note on how to apply the hotfix. Please check out http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-5-crashes-editing-images.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you !!!!

Marcin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this fix. I following the instructions and installed the patched ui.dll and. I haven't been able to see if the crashing has been fixed because now there are no images displayed in grid view or filmstrip. Also, the module names are missing. I can still click on the blank space where an image should be in either the filmstrip or grid view and open it in fullscreen or survey view. I can also see and edit photos in the develop module but guessing which photo I'm going to get makes it nearly impossible to use LR now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you have to reinstall it... That should make it normal again. I've applied this fix in 3 computers and works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If something simple like tagging images causes a crash, how well can serious operations be tested?  No wonder my install is crashing when it starts building the first catalog.  But it is nice to see people trying to get a problem resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've edited over 10,000 photos in LR5 on a win7 64bit machine. Since installing the patch I've experienced no crashes. In general I feel that the new features in development mode were worth my upgrade $$, but that there is still a lot of need in performance improvement. (LR5 is slightly faster than LR4 but not much) I have relatively lag free editing, but the UI could be a lot smoother, and importing/ exporting could be SIGNIFICANTLY improved. Basically each version is getting more and more features with little efficiency improvements that take advantage of GPUs or multithreading (in a significant way). LR does not know what to do with the "super computers" that many users have.... and in some cases seems to operate worse on higher spec machines. I for one would be much happier if the next dot release or full release contained no new features but only efficiency updates.

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 11:08:51 -0700

To: ithedanman@hotmail.com

Subject: LR5 Crashing While Culling

Re: LR5 Crashing While Culling

created by LostInSpace9876543421 in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

If something simple like tagging images causes a crash, how well can serious operations be tested? No wonder my install is crashing when it starts building the first catalog. But it is nice to see people trying to get a problem resolved.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5594775#5594775

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10,000 images is like one of my hundreds of folders...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2013 Aug 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I was referring to was that I've edited (color corrected, cropped, sharpened, exported) at least 10,000 raw images in LR5 (now closer to 15k). My catalog has a couple hundred thousand images with development settings from previous versions of LR. I feel pretty confident that if I haven't had any major issues in 10,000 images I'm not going to run in to workflow destroying issues at image 50,000.

Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 11:59:20 -0700

To: ithedanman@hotmail.com

Subject: LR5 Crashing While Culling

Re: LR5 Crashing While Culling

created by LostInSpace9876543421 in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

10,000 images is like one of my hundreds of folders...

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5601148#5601148

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone.

I have exactly the same situation.

Win8/x64, 8 gig, GeForce 660 Ti, all software updated, LR5 installed with LR4 (into the other directory, of course), new and clear catalog for LR5 were created.

Using arrow keys and rating "1" to "5" fast, it crashes very often - nearly every 75-100 photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also have this issue on Win7 x64 while flagging/unflagging a large import of images.

Will aim to get a dump file uploaded ASAP (will take a while on the connection here!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines