• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC and Exporting not added to folders

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use LrC and export a processed RAW photo to JPG is a sub-folder of the RAW folder (the method I use) the JPG is not added to the database.  The onlt way to get to see them/know they are there is to run a 'sync' to have the database updated.

Is there not a way to export and have the exported file included automatically?  Is there a setting I have missed?  Or is there a better workflow than what I am doing currently: Process a RAW => Export to JPG in a sub folder.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

If you check "Add to this catalog" under Export location at the top of the Export dialog, the jpgs will be added to the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check "Add to this catalog" under Export location at the top of the Export dialog, the jpgs will be added to the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If possible, please share a screen capture of your Esport window. This would better allow assisatnce.

Warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Refer to above advice - that was my problem 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not seeing these export versions within the Catalog, is already IMO that "better workflow"! 

Exports are associated with some external usage purpose (which dictates their particular export settings).

Outside of the Catalog is thus where their point and usefulness lies - for as long as that purpose remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I only keep originals in my catalog, having exported files in Lightroom will cause clutter and confusion.

I never edit exported files, (if they need to be edited, I edit the original and re-export) and if I need to look at them, I use ACDSee.

As you're hinting at, exported files have a limited life span. Once they have served their purpose, I usually delete them. If needed, it's easy to export again later.

And exported files should be tailored to their purpose. Rather than resizing and re-saving a full resolution jpg to use at 1200 pixels on a website, it's much better to make a new export at the correct size, and sharpened for that purpose.

It seems that some people routinely export every image as a full resolution jpg. In my opinion, there is no need to waste time and disk space on this. I prefer to export only when I need to use an image for a particular purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Folks,
I have a similar problem, though it may not be exactly the same as the one discussed here.  If I am in the wrong place, I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

When I try to Export a photo to a specific destination on an external hard drive....it doesn't show up.  I have tried various photos, various destinations, and various hard drives.  I created a new folder as the destination.  The folder shows the time it was created, but the photos are nowhere to be seen.

I searched for the photo in question and it only shows up in its original form and in the destination to which it was imported.

One oddity is that, when I use finder to find the photo in its original location, I clicked on it. It opened in PHOTOSHOP.  I have never used Photoshop even though I have it installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ronnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines