• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC - Find images with the same name but different extension

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way - either through search or a smart collection - to find files that have the same name but a different extension?

For example, it might return theses three files (if they exist)

MyPhoto.jpg

MyPhoto.dng

MyPhoto.tif

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't search on something like 'has same file name' without entering a name, but you can just sort the grid by file name (bottom left).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that is the case, but figured i'd make sure i'm not missing something.

The real issue I am trying to solve is dealing with "duplicates" after I convert TIFs to DNGs.  I use the export feature, which adds the new DNG into the catalog, but there is no option to add them to the collections (I would love an "Add to same collections" option in the Export dialog).

Once they are in DNG, I no longer need the TIF and so I delete it.  But I want to make sure that the DNG version is included in all of the same collections that the original TIF was.  How I do it now is to each TIF, note which collections it is in and then add the DNG to each.  It's a little tedius if I have more than a few images, and prone to mistakes.

I don't know.  Maybe there is a better workflow for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mhump 

What is the purpose of converting a TIF file to DNG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"to find files that have the same name but a different extension?"

To find all DNG / TIFF pairs, run this Any Filter query:

johnrellis_0-1709675389412.png

Note each DNG / TIFF pair must reside in the same folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the plug-in suggestions - I will give those a try.

Since someone asked, the main reason to convert the TIF to DNG is to save file space.  Often times when I am done working with the image in another program, the TiF file is huge - Hundres of MB or eveng GB.  Since I no longer need to work with the TIF files in the other programs, there is no reason not to convert to DNG as it results in a significantly smaller file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the Plugin - "Teekesselchen Duplicate Finder" - is very capable of finding only imagers that have the same Filename. Just use the one 'Rule' = [Filename]. Let it tag images with the Keyword "Duplicates", and also create a Smart Collection of images with KW "Duplicate".

The Plugin does not delete photos- Just tags them for you to decide their fate..

2024-03-06 12_01_10-Roberts Catalog-v13 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Duplicate Photos (Lightroom Queen)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines