• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LrC refuses to move files with certain extended attributes from local drive to network drive

Participant ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: LrC refuses to move files with certain extended attributes from local drive to network drive.

• Lightroom Classic Version Number: 12.2.1
  • OS Version Number: macOS Ventura 13.2.1
  • NAS (network drive) attached via SMB protocol

Steps to reproduce:

1. Import image file into Dropbox-managed folder on local drive
  2. Move image file to folder on NAS.

Expected result: Image file is moved to folder on NAS
Actual result: Error message, see picture below.

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 18.02.45.png

First workaround:

1. Move files within LrC to non-Dropbox-managed folder on local drive
  2. Remove extended attributes from files via Terminal command xattr -c *
  3. Move files within LrC to destination folder on NAS

Second workaround (my preference):

1. Move image files to a non-Dropbox managed folder in Finder
  2. Remove all extended attributes from the image files with Terminal command xattr -c *
  3. Move image files to network folder via Finder
  4. LrC now reports image files as missing. Locate them.
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't observe that bad behavior in my LR 12.2.1 / Mac OS 13. 2.1.   Which precise version of Dropbox are you running? (Click the Dropbox icon in the top menu bar, Preferences > General.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my Dropbox version:

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 18.13.39.png

BTW, my Mac is a 1 month-old Mac Studio 2022, M1 Max processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the same older version of Dropbox I'm running (I've been procrastinating at updating to the new revamped Mac Dropbox, which makes lots of changes).

There must be some difference between our two systems accounting for the difference in behavior.   Unless Adobe is able to reproduce a reported problem easily, they generally ignore it.

Has your LR been granted Full Disk Access (not Files and Folders permission) as described here?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just granted LrC full disk access, the problem persists.

Concerning Dropbox, according to everything I can find, I have the latest version. A few weeks ago the Dropbox app asked me if I would agree to moving the Dropbox location to ~/Library/Cloudstorage/Dropbox. I consented and files were moved and in Finder a Dropbox Volume is now shown in the sidebar. Maybe you didn't do that last step? Otherwise I don't understand what you meant by procrastinating at an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it seems we're running the same version of Dropbox, so that probably doesn't account for the misbehavior you're seeing.

Gory details: Supposedly the move of the Dropbox folder to ~/Library/Cloudstorage was required by Apple.  I've been anticipating a bunch of annoying issues as I update scripts and what not when my Dropbox folder gets moved, which is why I've procrastinated updating.  

My Dropbox is telling me to "Update Dropbox":

johnrellis_0-1678676955800.png

but it shows the same version number as yours:

johnrellis_1-1678677227954.png

Reading "Learn about Dropbox Update", it seems that the Dropbox application automatically updates itself and you can't stop it, which  is why we have the same version number. So the "Update Dropbox" message  above apparently triggers the move of the Dropbox folder, not an update of the application.  Or at least that's my best guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my assessment too, and I have done the Update as per your screenshot. And this may well have caused the issue I have described here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a heavy dropbox user, I just use it foe sharing, not for storing photos in use. Also, always thought Dropbox cause (eventually) issues like other cloud shares when photos imported into LrC uses photos at Dropbox.

At any rate. does that info in the Dropbox update take you to this article?

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I remember correctly (it's been some time since I did the Dropbox update), the article was much shorter and specifically addressed the update. Can't remember having seen most of the issues of the article you refer to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always EXPORT directly to Dropbox folder or often to a folder and moving the folder to dropbox. No issues. Forgot: I also remove camera metadata for export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines