• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MacBook and Lightroom classic tethering issues

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Lightroom classic has updated so I no longer need to change to Rosetta to tether, I'm having so many issues. It will not detect my camera without having to switch off the MacBook and make 20 attempts to get it to connect. And then when it does connect it will suddenly disconnect and I'm unable to get it to reconnect. My colleague is having the same issues. We've tried new tether cables and nothing works. 

canon 5d mkiv, MacBook Pro m1

Anyone else having these issues and found a workaround? 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the Lightroom Community @kirstineWalton. I'll need more info to help you figure this out. 

What version of Lightroom Classic & macOS are you working on?

Try these variables to begin troubleshooting:

• Confirm if the SD card is plugged into the camera.
  • Reboot the Camera while keeping Lightroom Classic in 'scan mode' for the camera.
  • If you're using an input hub for the mac, try plugging in the cable directly into the available ports on the MacBook.
  • Insert an empty SD Card into the cameras before connecting the camera with Lightroom Classic.

Check this article for more steps to troubleshoot tethering: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-tethered-capture-lightroom.html

Let me know how it goes from here.

Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ll need to confirm which OS and Lightroom classic versions but they
should be the latest ones as it auto updates.

I do have an SD card and CF card in the camera, I don’t use a hub, I tether
direct with a cable. I have tried switching the camera on and off multiple
times.

This issue started about 3-4 weeks ago so guessing it is due to an update.

Thanks

Kirstine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm I am on OS Ventura 13.2.1 and LRC 12.2.1. I'm still constantly having issues. If anything it has gotten worse. It struggles to detect my camera. I have tried two cameras, two different tethering cables, different ports on the mac. I have tried switching the camera off, and sometimes it makes LRC crash and close. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll need to roll it back further than that. I was having issues with 12.1 too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ma having the same issue with various sd or cf cards. Format all, shut down the computer, lightroom etc... It keep crashing and is impossible to use. Not good on set with clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine has nothing to do with the memory cards. The only thing I could do to get this to work again was to roll back to a previous version of LRC until they fix the issues. I went back a couple of versions and it works great again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and I am on the latest Sonoma with everything updated, I am using a Canon R5 with latest FW. It is insane that Adobe has not resolved this yet as they are supposedly targeting a professional market! I guess I have to be shooting using EOS software for tethering? How can we raise awareness of this problem to Adobe and the other customers?

I even had a support agent controlling my Mac trying to figure it out for an hour, but he gave up and just quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no issues connecting an R5 to a Macbook M1 machine running Sonoma (14.2.1).  The connection happens in under a second.  I've also tested a 5DMKIV, and it behaves similarly.

You may want to follow the troubleshooting steps in this document: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-tethered-capture-lightroom.html 

Update: 4/9 - I tested 5DMKIV, R5, and Sonoma 14.4.1 on two separate MacBook Pro M1—there were no connection issues. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird thing that the Adobe support agents can't help then. They've tried
everything, the camera shows in the system profiler, tethering works with
EOS software and just doesn't with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Absolutely NONE of Adobe's recommendations on how to fix tethering will work. The issue seems to be with the newest versions of Lightroom Classic, and have NOTHING to do with the camera, the tether cable, the OS on your computer, or anything else – it's Lightroom Classic at fault. This is what I've tried, and what actually works:

1. I updated the firmware on my Canon 5D IV to 14.x. DIDN'T WORK
  2. I updated to the latest version of Lightroom Classic (13.x). DIDN'T WORK
  3. I bought a new tether cable from Tether Tools. DIDN'T WORK
  4. I turned on/off the camera. DIDN'T WORK
  5. I ran Lightroom Classic in emulation mode with Rosetta. DIDN'T WORK
  6. I downgraded Lightroom Classic from 13.x to 12.1 – THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED!

Luckily, I'm using my Macbook Air M2 laptop for tethered shooting only – I'm not trying to edit images on the laptop – I do this on my desktop. So, I can have LRC 12.1 on my laptop, and 13.x on my desktop which allows me to take advantage of the newest features in Lightroom.

Having said all of this, the solution I discovered is NOT EVEN CLOSE TO IDEAL! Adobe, you need to fix this issue. It's your issue, and not ours. Install the newest version of Lightroom Classic, connect a Canon 5D IV, a Nikon D850, or any other camera that people have reported having issues with, and PLEASE, for the love of god, have a look at what we are seeing. Then downgrade to 12.1 and the problem will go away. Seriously, Adobe, you've wasted enough of our time by pointing us to "solutions" that are not solutions at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have never got Lightroom Tethering to be reliable. Why I have no clue. I have spent 100's of dollars on Capture One just to use to Tether too. Cost me money but saved me from going mad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines