Exit

Map module to be discontinued?

LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018-08-20 07_54_44-Start.png

2018-08-20 07_55_30-Start.png

So, as you can see I am running Lightroom 7.4 and I get the message shown above when starting the Map Module. If I go to the web site mentioned in the message, it shows a slightly different message that applies to only Lightroom 4 and 5. So ... we have a contradiction. Can anyone explain if the map module is really going away for current subscribers who as of today use Lightroom 7.4?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Rikk Flohr, Adobe Official Rep, posted this in the last hour:

Thank you for your patience. After additional investigation, it appears this message was appearing by mistake for some Lightroom Classic 7.4 users. 

The issue with the errant warning message should be fixed now.  You may need to relaunch Lightroom to clear it.  If it still appears after a relaunch, you may need to clear Lightroom’s preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

Can I share your message with another forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, but I do like the idea of 1000's of users calling them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't believe what you have heard - Customer Care aren't in the development loop. Wait until you hear something directly from the Lightroom team. Your guess is probably right, and any discontinuation will like last time (a problem caused by Google changing their API) only affect older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also just noticed this and I have version 7.4, but the note does say '...on this version... ' so that implies 7.4 (and probably on older versions of Lightroom CC as well ) and also it implies that there will be a newer version and will be continued - so, as it says in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - "Don't Panic".

JimHess has the right attitude!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The comment is a general response by the way - not to you John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk Flohr, Adobe Official Rep, posted this in the last hour:

Thank you for your patience. After additional investigation, it appears this message was appearing by mistake for some Lightroom Classic 7.4 users. 

The issue with the errant warning message should be fixed now.  You may need to relaunch Lightroom to clear it.  If it still appears after a relaunch, you may need to clear Lightroom’s preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John and Rikk,

All is well in Map in 7.4 now!!!   Maybe this thread will now fade away. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's back :-). With the release of LR Classic 8.0, Adobe is saying that the map module will only be available (supported) in LR Classic 8.0.  No reason is given to explain why it can not be kept in version 7 and earlier, except that Adobe says these versions are no longer supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nbirkett51  wrote

It's back :-). With the release of LR Classic 8.0, Adobe is saying that the map module will only be available (supported) in LR Classic 8.0.  No reason is given to explain why it can not be kept in version 7 and earlier, except that Adobe says these versions are no longer supported.

The reason is that Google changed the API again.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured that was the likely reason.  It is disappointing that Adobe is abandoning version 7 so quickly. Some people may have good reasons to not upgrade to 8.  Most software companies provide maintenance to at least one earlier version of their software. Adobe can hardly cry poverty as the reason to drop version 7 support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe can hardly cry poverty as the reason to drop version 7 support.

Where are they crying poverty??

Most software companies provide maintenance to at least one earlier version of their software.

For as long as I have been using Adobe products, they have not provided maintenance to one earlier version. That's how they do business. Maybe it's not as generous as other companies, but that's their business model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how to 'quote' in this forum.

I didn't say that they were 'crying poverty'.  My point was that Adobe makes a large enough profit that they could afford to upgrade the map module in version 7 (and version 6).  I was thinking of companies like Microsoft that provide OS patches and security fixes for earlier versions for many years, as well as maintaining Office 2011 long after Office 2016 was released.

I'm likely over-reacting to this situation so let's let it end here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A friend of mine (Peter Orr) says he has done 'some digging' with Adobe on this, and her reports:

"it looks like Adobe haven't written the message at all clearly. I understand that the map module was dropped from Lr v4 and 5 and a new 7.x version will be released shortly that will remove the error message for subscribers and offer continued Map Support.

It is not known when the new version Lr 7.x will be available for download, but until it is, this error message will continue to be a confusing and worrying issue for those who use the excellent Map module."

Thanks for this Peter... I'm much happier with this situation now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I missed something - always a strong possibility - this does not speak well to Adobe's way of announcing changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nice to know that you have connections to such "official" sources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the problem is caused by Google. After an update of Google Earth in February or March this year, my Garmin BaseCamp could no longer start GE. In June there was a new update of GE, and everything works fine again. I hope, Adobe can solve the problem.

Heinz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of reason for Map module no longer working, Adobe's LightRoom Version 6 is still available through retail outlets e.g John Lewis for £119.95. Without any notification to their retailers Adobe has removed map module functionality. I will be pursuing this with Adobe as I believe they have contravened the Consumer Rights Act 2015 because they are make a profit on something which they know is unfit for purpose.

I have contacted trading standards and raised a query with them number 15273816. I tried "chatting" to Adobe first  online but I was shifted from pillar to post!

Let us hope I can persuade Adobe the have a change of heart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't tell me, I'm not an Adobe employee. You might want to contact Adobe about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's LightRoom Version 6 is still available through retail outlets e.g John Lewis for £119.95. Without any notification to their retailers Adobe has removed map module functionality.

The johnlewis.com product page neglects to mention that Adobe announced over a year ago that LR 6 would receive no further updates or bug fixes after 6.14 was released in December. Nor does it mention Adobe's decades-long policy of stopping all support of a product when the next major version is released. 

We can hardly know authoritatively the facts of what Adobe communicated to johnlews.com when and to whom (line staff and managers from neither company should be trusted on this score), but other major online retailers got the message:

bhphotovideo.com:

As of December 2017, this, version 6.14, is the final update for this perpetual, standalone edition of Photoshop Lightroom 6. There will be no subsequent updates for camera raw files, lens profiles, or features. For additional support for new cameras, lenses, and application features, Adobe Lightroom CC, Lightroom Classic CC, or additional photo-editing apps available through Creative Cloud should be used.

amazon.com:

NOTE: Adobe announced they will no longer provide updates for Lightroom 6 perpetual license software on December 19, 2017. Consider upgrading to the Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan to get the latest updates, and ensure that the software works with raw files from the newest cameras.

If your goal is to get a refund, you might have a stronger argument with johnlewis.com than Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Adobe has removed map module functionality. "

No.  Google changed the specifications of the connections.  Adobe should rewrite code for old versions?  That makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines