• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Map no longer shown in latest LR classic version 9,4

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am "since ever" on the latest versionwith CC, and the CC-Desktop tells me "no new Updates available".

But since the last time I used the Map function (probably a month ago) I see no longer a map, although the Meta Data shows a GPS position (in LR as well es in Bridge).

So it shouldn't be a matter of my version!

What's going wrong her?
This is very frustrating! With every new version I loose a lot of time because of a broken workflow!
That's not why I pay that much money every month!
If I could I would live with a working version as long as possible, without being forced into the latest (and worse). 
I not even can pick an older LR version, as I could with PS and Premiere.

Has anybody an idey, if a setting changed that I had to adjust? I hope so 😉

Or do I have to wait for the next version (with agin changed interfaces and new bugs?):

Adobe, if you listen: Please help and explain what's going on and how to solve this issue!

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Hello,  The current version of LrC (Lightroom Classic) is 13.2 so your are quite a bit out of date.  This can be caused by several factors including system requirements for newer versions of LrC that your computer system does not currently meet.  This seems to be a more prevelent problem with Mac's than Windows, but go to the Adobe Site and check the system requirements for the later versions of LrC and compare those to your current Windows version and hardware setup.

If your system is capable o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  The current version of LrC (Lightroom Classic) is 13.2 so your are quite a bit out of date.  This can be caused by several factors including system requirements for newer versions of LrC that your computer system does not currently meet.  This seems to be a more prevelent problem with Mac's than Windows, but go to the Adobe Site and check the system requirements for the later versions of LrC and compare those to your current Windows version and hardware setup.

If your system is capable of later releases, use the Adobe CC application (Adobe Applicaitons Manager).  It has a rainbow sideways figure 8 icon and do the upgrade of :LrC from that App.  The app will not prevent you from going to versions beyond your current system capabilities.  

I suspect that the map module will start working for you once you upgrade to a more recent version. 

Why the map won't display in 9.4 now when it did last month I don't know.  But, if you can't for don't want to go beyond LrC/9.4 there are few other things to check.  Check to assure that your Internet Connections is working properly (whic it probably is since you were able to post this message).  Make sure that your Adobe License has not expired.  If that isn't the problem try re-installing your current version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  thank you very much for the fast and detailed response! This reduces my level of frustation dramatically 😉

Rethinking about my last statement and trying to remember I must admist that the last time I used the map module in LR might be bac a bit longer; but pretty sure in 2023. I am using map functionality a lot. Usually I read exif data out of photos and offer a little icon in a photobook with  photos that opens a leaflet map to show the place where the photo has been taken. Usually those a smartphone photos taday, with automaticilly adding such geo positions.
But fpr photos from "real" cameras I used to add the position to seected photos. and for that I liked the map module.

What I do not understand is, why the CC 13 desktop tells me "no Update available". Updates for e.g. Photohop, Acrobat, Premiere work perfectly fine! And I never saw any hint or errer message indicating problems.
And my sbuscription was renewed 2 months ago.

I read (before I posted) that Google change the API and that older version are no longer updated.
But such problems were related to version 8 or earlier.
I was not aware there is a version 13 for Lightroom. Als the CCdesktopn does not give any hints about that.

Where can I find such information, i.e. the latest version of each individual product?

I will follow your suggestion and compare the requirements with my WIndows 11 system. It's not the newest, and my 1TB main SSD since 2...3 weeks has less then 20% remaining free space (an new 2TB M2 SSD already is ordered).
Probably that's the problem?!

I hopefully will find out, but agree system resources/setup has highest propbability beig the culprit 😉

If I need further help, I'll come backk.
If I find the solution, I hopt to remember to report that also here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE

• I checked the minimal requirements (which, as I understood, are unchanged since several versions).
    And found out that even with "only" 190GB free space left on my disk, 32GB RAM , an 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 3700 MHz and 8 kernels, a fast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB and the latest build of Windows 11 I defefinetely should be on the safe side 😉

• I then nevertheless uninstalled all BETA versions of Adobe products, cleared temp folders and trash and  all in the download area. And with that saved more than 40GB.
  • I double checked the update options and version details, and still could not update
  • I then uninstalled LR and did a fresh installation.
    And that finally solved the problem:
    I was informed, that the LR libary (catalog) would be converted, what gave big hope 😉
    And indeed: After the conversion LR started and this time showed version 13.2.
    And the map modul is working again!

Thank you all for giving me correct and fast guidance!

If I may make a suggestion for future changes?
Please provide better information like

• "you are using v 9.2, the latest available version is 13.2)
  • provide more detaisl abouot what could go wrong; with suggestions like the ones you gave
  • provide a better documentation about potentially broken functionality by version #.
    Independent on being it because of a change of Adobe or others (like Google) politics.

That could help many people saving a lot of time; reducing frustration and increasing loayalty 😉

Regards
Hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rarely this can be due to a problem on a Google Server that is contacted to apply the maps (Adobe uses a third party for the maps, i.e. Google), If Google maps is down in your area, then it will fail. Might be fixed in the morning. Might not be the problem at all.

Sometimes you just need to close LrC, then start LrC.  BIG HUGE NOTE: If you do this you need to go to the library module, then close LrC. It will not work (that is get fixed, if you are in a different module like MAP, or Develop) I have no idea why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem today with LR9.4 map not showing at all (creative cloud subscription). I cannot upgrade to a higher version of LR because I am on WIndows 7. I could give you a hundred reasons why I am unwilling to do a clean install of windows 11, starting with the fact that I'd have to spend a fortnight baby-sitting my PC whilst it installs over 100,000 application files and I just don't have the time. This Adobe support page https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/map-view-no-longer-supported.html  says the map module doesn't work on LR7 or earlier, but makes no mention of LR9.

Map failure is a bit of a nuisance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does LrC display the dialog shown in the linked article? If not, then the map issue you're expereincing may be due to a known bug. Basically, if you quit LrC whilst in the Map module, then next time LrC is relanched the Map will not function. The workaround is to switch to the Library module, then relaunch. The Map module should now function as you expect. However, you should remember to switch back to Library before quitting otherwsie the bug will occur again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Yes I did see that bug, but I have never closed LR when it was in maps, and relaunching doesn't fix it. No, mine doesn't display any popup message. It just shows a completely blank map. And searching for a place name produces no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines