Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migration from Aperture Mac Os X to Lightroom Windows

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening,

till now I have been using Aperture 3.4.5 on my old computer Apple (Mac Os X 10.7.5). Having purchased a new one, HP (Windows 10), I need to migrate all my photos and all the relevant information (project, folder, album, metadata, adjustments, and so on) to the new pc, using this time Lightroom. As I'm not sure on how to proceed, I woould like to receive some suggestions and above all I want to be sure that nothing will be lost in this migration. For further details it's important to know that now my photos are contained in Aperture Library (143,77 GB) and duplicated in Aperture vault (145,07 GB).

Thanks for your help.

Antonio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

You should be able to install the free trial of Lightroom 5.7 on your Mac, and update Aperture to 3.5.1 or later, and then follow these instructions: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/ready-move-aperture-iphoto/ but as stated at that link, some information doesn't transfer. After that, you can transfer your Mac Lightroom catalog and photos to your new PC https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

If that doesn't work, then you'd have to export the photos from Aperture and imp

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to install the free trial of Lightroom 5.7 on your Mac, and update Aperture to 3.5.1 or later, and then follow these instructions: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/ready-move-aperture-iphoto/ but as stated at that link, some information doesn't transfer. After that, you can transfer your Mac Lightroom catalog and photos to your new PC https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

If that doesn't work, then you'd have to export the photos from Aperture and import them into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening,

I have installed the free trial of Lightroom 5.7 (italian version) but at the start it has appeared a warning: "There has been an error during the modification of the modules". This means I cannot go on with the option you suggested

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the answer, but there has been a lot of discussion in this forum about the error message "Error changing modules". I suggest you search the forum for this exact error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few searches again point to a permissions problem.

Try giving permission to Lightroom folder under

/Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe

Steps

Click on Finder and on the menu bar ( top side the of the screen) click on Go > Go to,folder

In the window type exactly ~/Library and click on Go

Open Application Support > Adobe and right click on Lightroom folder and select get info

Under sharing and permission Click on lock and unlock it

Click on + add your current user name and administrator if not added

Then give Read and Write permission for Admin, system, everyone and (your user name)

Click on gear icon and choose apply to enclosed item

Then Click on Lock

Launch Lightroom and check.

"... I finally figured out what was wrong . . . it was a Permissions problem.  Very frustrating, but after scouring the troubleshooting tips I finally found the one that solved my problem.  I had to add a User and give it Read/Write privileges to Lightroom.  The file I had to add the User to was Hidden on my Mac, so that added an even bigger challenge to the mystery.  Only a few days left on my trial version!  I hope I have time to try it out!" http://www.amicuk.com/lightroom-trial-doesn-t-show-complete-menu-selections-or-import-button-also-ge...

"You need to have full permission for reading and writing for the folders and drives that Lr is using - particularly the folder that contains the catalog (i.e. the database Lr is working with). If you have full permission try re-installing Lr. Un-install it via your OS. And re-install it." http://www.amicuk.com/lightroom-an-error-occurred-when-attempting-to-change-modules/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening,

sorry but this process has turned out to be really frustrating! I carefully followed the steps you suggested; I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the Lr, nothing to do, I always get the same result.

At this point I'm considering another way of doing it but I want to be sure it's a correct procedure.

I wonder whether I can copy the Aperture Library on an external disk using my old Mac. My doubt is: will Lr6 uploaded on my new pc (Windows 10) be able to read and contain the Aperture Library from this external disk?

Thanks a lot for your precious help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder whether I can copy the Aperture Library on an external disk using my old Mac. My doubt is: will Lr6 uploaded on my new pc (Windows 10) be able to read and contain the Aperture Library from this external disk?

No - your Windows computer will not read your Aperture library. Please read this as posted earlier: If you can't access your mac check out Derrick Story's article on migrating from Mac Aperture to Windows Lightroom here: Moving from Aperture to Lightroom

Why do you want to move all of your images into a trial version? By the time you get your files ready to import into your windows machine the trial will be over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your old mac still operational? If it is you can import your Aperture catalog with the import plug-in to your current catalog. The plug-in is mac only. Even if you see this plug-in while in the windows version of Lr it will not open your Aperture masters file.

You can read more here: Aperture Import plug-in for Lightroom FAQ

If you can't access your mac check out Derrick Story's article on migrating from Mac Aperture to Windows Lightroom here: Moving from Aperture to Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm only now in 2022 moving my Aperture Library to Lightroom Classic. Unfortunately, the Import button on the Aperture Import plug-in in Lightroom Classic is greyed out, and I don't know why.

Here's what I've done so far:
1. Created full-size previews of images adjusted in Aperture (all of which are managed files)
2. Backed up my Aperture Library, including masters and previews, to Dropbox as well as to an external hard drive
3. Upgraded my 2016 Macbook Pro to MacOS 12.3 Monterey, which Aperture no longer runs on
4. Signed in to Creative Cloud
5. Launched the Aperture Import plug-in using Lightroom Classic 10.4
6. On the main plug-in window, selected the Aperture library and a folder to copy images to on external hard drive

However, the Import button is greyed out. The plug-in knows where the Aperture library is but it says "undetermined number of images". Is it because I've upgraded to a new OS which Aperture no longer runs on? But I'm not running Aperture, I'm running Lightroom!

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Aperture/Iphoto Importer Plug-in has long had many bugs -- it was poorly implemented.  If you don't make much progress, try Avalanche, a paid program that many people have reported worked well for them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines