• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move files in Lightroom Classic CC by keywords

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am rearranging all of my photos in Lightroom Classic CC. Is it possible to move these files from the old folder to a new folder by using keywords? Is it safe to delete the old folders/files after moving files to the new folder? What is the best, most convenient way to accomplish this? I have over 40,000 photos and am trying to better organize.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no automatic way to do that. My advice - leave the idea. Leave the photos where they are, make sure they are backed up, and put the  time that you will save into adding more keywords and other metadata. Folders are just for storage and physical safekeeping, use keywords and other metadata for categorising and analysis, and make use of collections for arbitrary gathering and grouping of your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost never disagree with john beardsworth​, and I'm not going to now.

Organizing by moving from folder to folder is the weakest form of organizing, and suffers from the drawback that photos can be in only one folder at a time. By contrast, photos can have dozens of keywords if you want, a much more powerful way to organize. So yes, leave the photos where they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disagree all you want . But we do usually agree, as do many others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fechalk  wrote

I am rearranging all of my photos in Lightroom Classic CC. Is it possible to move these files from the old folder to a new folder by using keywords? Is it safe to delete the old folders/files after moving files to the new folder? What is the best, most convenient way to accomplish this? I have over 40,000 photos and am trying to better organize.

Is it possible to select and move image files from one folder, or multiple different folders, to another folder using keywords? Sure it is.

If all your images have a keyword assigned to them, or none do and you are starting to add keywords, if you select a keyword in the "Keyword List" section only the images that have that keyword will be displayed. You then Select All of them and then Drag them to whatever folder you want them in. If the folder doesn't already exist then you first need to create it by using the option to Add Folder in the "Folders".section of the left hand panel of the Library module.

But no matter what folder, or folders, those selected images are in, could be one folder or multiple folders, all of them will end up in the one folder you dragged them to.

But as others have point out you really don't need to do this. That is unless you really want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep I'd be using the Filter tool exactly as above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines