• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving/importing XMP files in LR CC Classic

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a group of  400+ images from a shoot that have been edited and have XMP sidecar files.  I reecently went back innto the folder that contains the images (within Lightroom) and all of the edits are missing.  The metadata indicates that there is an XMP sidecar file.  I went to my  backup drive and  looked at the same images and all of the edits are showing.  Is there a way to transfer the XMP files fromm the backup drive to the working directory, or would I be better off to reimport the images from the backup drive?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems utterly backwards to me. The XMP files are not relevant. The edits are in the catalog, unless you (accidentally?) caused the edits to be removed, in which case then and only then do you need the XMP files.

Under NO circumstances should you re-import the photos. This is so important, I am going to say it again in red. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU RE-IMPORT THE PHOTOS.

Where are you looking when you say you see the backup drive has the edits? Are you looking in Lightroom, or in your operating system, or somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Select all the images that have XMP files in Library.

Then go to Metadata > Read metadata from files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one basic function and is at the core of how Lightroom Classic functions. When you are working with Lr Classic the application reads and writes to the Catalog File. 
There is also the option if you manually select this option to have Lightroom write info to xmp, this function enables info to be shared with other applications, particularly other Adobe applications.

Lightroom per se, does not require xmp sidecar files to function.

Xmp sidecar files are only created for Raw files the info is written to the file header for other file types I.e tiff,jpeg etc.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I am working on coopying the Develop settings from one group to the other.

Unfortunately, updating the Metadata didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How are you copying from one group to the other of the same files?  Are your backup files with the XMP files different names? If so you could use this plugin, Syncomatic to do it all at once using the capture time feature.

http://lightroomsolutions.com/plug-ins/syncomatic/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines