• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need simple way to move lots of published services from one hard drive to another

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of published collections on one hard drive that I would like to move to another.  I know I could create new published services on the destination drive, include the photos from the source drive, publish the new service and delete the old one.  But I have hundreds.  Any simple way to accomplish this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual image files are stored in Folders on your computer system disks. The Publish Service Collections and regular Lightroom Collections, Smart Collections and the like are data stored in the Lightroom Catalog File. I have not attempted to do what you trying to achieve. Hopefully we will get another user that will offer some advice.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I checked my Publish Service in LrC 10.0 and I have over 7900 images in my Flickr published collection. The original files would be spread over multiple Folders on my HDD, I see that it's possible to export as a Catalog but I have no idea how I would include the original files with that export and or reconnect them on another HDD.

Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 7.57.39 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whern you do an export as catalog, you get the option to include the originals with the export but that probably is not the answer to the orginal question. I think they just want a way to change the destination of a hard drive publish service to a different location. I don't think you can without having to republish all the images to the new destination. When you create a hard drive publish service it's destination gets locked in and only way to publish somewhere else is to create a new service and drag all the same images into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that info, I thought as much but I have never experienced this.

In my situation I just could not think how I would be able to reconnect with the original files which are in multiple folders spanning 8 to 10 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export as a catalog you can either include the originals or not. If you do, it puts a dated folder structure with all the orginals in the folder next to the exported catalog by copying the orginals from all the locations you have them currently. However, if you choose not to include originals, it simply refers to the exact same locations they are in now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are just looking to move the image files from an old drive to a new one to free up space, this is a simple task.

- Using Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer, move the desired folder trees to the new drive.

- In the LR Folders panel, right-click on the top-most "missing" folder(s), select "find missing folder", navigate to the new drive. (By selecting the top-most folder, LR will auto-correct the locations of the subfolders and files under that top-most folder.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, but I do not see an easy solution to my question.  What I am attempting to do is to move hard disk-based published service collections from one hard disk to another.  These are not regular collections, they are a "published service" collection on my hard drive.  

The most straightforward way would be if LrC allowed me to drag and drop these collections from one location to another.  But that does not work.  So, I am left with this process:

• select all the photos in my original published  collection
  • create a new published collection on my destination drive and "include selected photos"
  • return to the original published collection and delete it.
  • repeat 100 times

Maybe the LrC developers would consider adding a new capability to LrC at some point.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, curious why this is not possible after all these years.

I have dozens of publish services over the years with hundreds of folders and have changed hard drives multiple times. It feels so disorganized. Seems like changing drives is something photographers need to do regularly these days. Pointing the catalog to a new drive is easy. Yet it's impossibly difficult to change the location of publish services?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this a couple times  from one drive to another with a couple SQLite commands and without having to  recreate the Publish Services and it worked well.

UPDATE AgLibraryPublishedCollectionContent SET content = REPLACE(content,'LaCie SSD','Transfer');

UPDATE AgLibraryPublishedCollection SET remoteCollectionId = REPLACE(remoteCollectionId,'LaCie SSD','Transfer');

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I don't know anything about SQLite (seems a bit over my head), but it's good to know somebody found a workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used "DB Browser for SQLite".  It worked well as I was just moving from one drive name on Mac to another drive.  I created a NEW temporary publish service to the new drive and then I could easily see what the changes that were needed which was 'LaCie SSD" to 'Transfer'.  I ran the two commands and it did them all at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines