Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Lightroom Classic Linear and Radial Gradient Tools vs. Old Version

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I solely use Lightroom Classic to edit real estate images, and I've been happy with the older version of LR when the linear and radial gradient tools were always just one click away.  I could add multiple edits a lot faster as both icons/tools were just one click away and overlays were instant.

So after updating to current LR Classic (I was quite a few versions behind), it now seems I have to click "Create New Mask" for every single edit and this really slows down my work flow.

I love and appreciate the amazing new masking benefits, but is there a simplier way of using the linear and radial gradient tools without having to create a new mask every time? 

If anyone has some shortcut idea or tutorial links, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and cheers!

~ Frank

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

On the top line of the "Create New Mask" panel is "?" icon:

Screenshot_13_07_2022__09_20.png

Clicking on that will reveal an extensive list of masking shortcuts, like this:

Screenshot_13_07_2022__09_23.png

From that list, you will see that the shortcut for creating a Linear Gradient is M, and the shortcut for a Radial Gradient is Shift+M.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Some of the new Masking changes are also a perception change. Every time you used the old tools, you were creating a mask, but Lightroom was hiding that from you. Now, you know you're making a masking. You can still edit each mask. If you need a new mask specifically, the shortcuts Jim showed will speed it up. For the most part these are the same shortcuts from previous versions of Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the top line of the "Create New Mask" panel is "?" icon:

Screenshot_13_07_2022__09_20.png

Clicking on that will reveal an extensive list of masking shortcuts, like this:

Screenshot_13_07_2022__09_23.png

From that list, you will see that the shortcut for creating a Linear Gradient is M, and the shortcut for a Radial Gradient is Shift+M.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the new Masking changes are also a perception change. Every time you used the old tools, you were creating a mask, but Lightroom was hiding that from you. Now, you know you're making a masking. You can still edit each mask. If you need a new mask specifically, the shortcuts Jim showed will speed it up. For the most part these are the same shortcuts from previous versions of Lightroom. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your replies gents. It took a short while to get used to this new method of editing but after editing one job and about 50-60 images, it's now a breeze -- multiple masks and all.

One other question... can I permenatly turn off the overlay color? I can uncheck the box but overlay still appears when I hover my mouse on the gradient black dot.

Thanks again!

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start a new mask, then click on the tri-dot icon bottom right of the Mask panel (on the Show Overlay line), In the resulting menu, you can uncheck the option to "Automatically Toggle Overlay". That should do the trick.

The problem with permanently turning off the overlay will be when you use one of the AI Maks (Select Subject or Sky) or try to use the Brush....without the overlay you have no clue as to what the mask looks like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally don't know that you can disable the overlay color. However, that color will disappear as soon as you start to make adjustments on any of the masks. So it shouldn't be a distraction in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To "disable" the overlay color just lower the opacity of the overlay color completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant! Thanks! The flashing was driving me crazy.  I'll get past this "new" learning curve, but I am loving it. Cannot believe how easy it will not be to create amazing masks!  Thanks gents!

~ Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines