• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the BETA version for some time and I did not see this problem until I installed the released version of LR 4

The problem is that I cannot edit the images using my plugis from NIK software. ( I bought the complete collection about 3 months ago)

In the Beta version it was still OK.

Only the export plugin works (HDR from nik)

Also when I try to install the plugin again it only shows that it is compatible with LR3.

I just bought LR4 (since it worked in the BETA version)

Hope they will fix this soon. I also sent a message to NIK software.

anyone else has seen this problem

regards

Andre

I use MAC OS-X 10.7.3

NIK plugins are the latest versions available.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

You're right about that. Regardless, at least Adobe has a fix now. The LR-4.1 upgrade was easy to install and has fixed the problem once and for all - I hope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 295 Replies 295
Participant ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly, you are doing much a do about not much. Although I agree that something like that should have been tested before issuing the definitive version.

Since you seem to be on a PC, I find it is overkill to install a huge program like PS CS5 if you know you won't use it.

Just use the little patch announced it will be much less hassle and it damn easy :

1) You open the notepad (a little rudimentary word editor you find in the Windows accessory).

2) You copy and paste three-five lines of text, exactly as is quoted, in Brett's correct answer indicated in green in this thread.

3) You save on your desktop and give it the same name as indicated.

4) You double click on it. and it is done.. it takes more time to explain than to do it.

Now if you want to go the long road and install the trial of CS5, that is up to you. LR4 misses a link allowing you to edit in an external editor. CS5 creates that link when it is installed. You don't even need to run CS5 once, the link will be there. And after the trial expires, unless you uninstall the program, the link will remain there.

For once, it seems that those running a Mac are less lucky, they have no patch. They can only download the CS5 trial.

My take on this is that as long as the 4.1 version is not out, Adobe should add that little patch in a complementary file and warn Win users that they should run the patch after or before the LR installation in case they don't have CS5 installed, but want to use an other external editor with LR4. The file should be downloadable from their website. That would make people who are unsure about computers more confident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well !!!!! Never used a patch before, don`t know how it works, but dam it does...

Thanks to you all.. Tron, rrr-hhh, Brett, and those whose tags I`ve lost.. Your help has been greatly appreciated. LR4 with the Nik Suite is fully functional as of 13.00 GMT ...

Hats off the the chap that wrote the patch: back on page 4 of thiis forum.. Was unsure - read very not confident - and concerned that I may inavertatly screw up the OS..

But hey it works..

If I can do it - hope this may give those who are not totally PC confident - like me - to have a go...

THANKS AGAIN...  off to have a coffee now , I`m knackered.

Vince

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad it works for you, but it doesn't work for me on my MAC OS Lion. Even more ironic is that Elements 9 also doesn't work as a plugin in Lightroom 4.

It's an Adobe problem and they should get it fixed with an update. Lamely saying it worked on the beta version isn't an answer. It just shows how sloppy the Adobe crew is to get out the full version so they can start making money even though their program doesn't fully work.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must admit to not being overly impressed with many of the s/w companies. But going by the dates on the messages in this forum, they go back to August 2010.

Considering they make a LR edition of Nik plug-ins, seperate to the CS5 edition, I would imagine Nik are not totally without blame.

But I thought I read for MAC users download a trial edition of CS5 would solve your problem; Or have I miss-understood the thread?

Nothing is more frustrating to have s/w you cannot access, through no fault of your own..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are misunderstanding the issue. Adobe recognizes that plugins not working (including Elements 9) it is their problem and are seeking a solution. Apparently, the plugins worked for the beta version of Lightroom 4, but the full upgrade, which Adobe started selling a week ago, does not. Adobe says its engineers are working on the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can offer a solution.  If the beta worked perfectly but the new full version doesn't, why not simply switch them round? Sell the beta as the full version, and the full version can be taken back to beta whilst they put back the code they took out.  Can only take an hour or so surely.

Of course, they'll need to swap the spplash screens too. Expect they'll rememebr that though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received a mail by Nik Software. Among other things they say:

"Important information on compatibility of Nik Software plug-ins with Lightroom 4

Adobe update for Lightroom 4 to be released soon

Some users have experienced problems when using external plug-ins within Lightroom 4. The reason for this a bug in the retail version of Lightroom 4, which unfortunately may also affect Nik Software plug-ins under certain circumstances. Adobe is already working on a solution, which will be available with their next update.

Upon release of this update by Adobe Nik Software plug-ins can be used within Lightroom 4 as usual. Please make sure to download the newest version of your plug-ins before using them in Lightroom".

I shared this info just to let everybody know that Adobe, Nik and most probably the other plug-in companies are collaborating to solve the problem. When I noticed the bug in my just-bought LR4 I was very upset, as most of us. But seeing that companies, and especially Adobe are working seriously on it, makes me feel better.

We are not being left alone with the software we bought, let's be patient.

A suggestion to Adobe customer care: maybe sending a mail to customers who bought LR4 on Adobe's site, explaining the situation, could be a good way of letting customers know you care about them. This will not avoid completely angry messages on fora, because many people may have bought it somewhere else, but sure it would help in keeping things smooth.

Good work everybody!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Silver Efex Pro works fine in LR4, for which I'm thankful.

Win 7, 64-bit.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hal,

Thanks for the info.

This means it is probably then only in the MAC version of Lightroom 4.

Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm Silver Efex Pro 2 won't start here under LR4 and OS X 10.7.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same with LR4 on OS 10.7.3.  Using the Photo>Edit In command fails to open any of my external editors (Photoshop Elements 8 & 10, Nik Silver Efex and Dfine, Pixelmator, and a few others).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, even exporting into photoshop but I'm using a PC with windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience exactly the same issue - but on Win7 32 bit. Uninstaling Lightroom, NIK plugins didn't help at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updated with new plugin,

and host application (LR4) was now detected but still

no start of the Plugin, Mac OS X 10.7.3

/

Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with PC

Windows 7  64 bit

Same error occurs after updating with newest NIK software updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't work with these versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does NIK say, surely its their job.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In response to DdeGannes, I can assure you that if it is a Nik Software issue, they will fix it very quickly and are working on it. I highly doubt that it is though since none of my Topaz plug-ins work either now. Besides these plug-ins all worked in the beta version of LR4.

I guess I just take issue with your statement of "What does Nik say, surely its their job." Nik software is so supportive and works quite rapidly on all of their products. They are the best software company I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Adobe on the other hand is one nightmare after another!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agnus1 wrote:

In response to DdeGannes, I can assure you that if it is a Nik Software issue, they will fix it very quickly and are working on it. I highly doubt that it is though since none of my Topaz plug-ins work either now. Besides these plug-ins all worked in the beta version of LR4.

Agreed. Given all the information collected since this issue first appeared, it is obvious that the problem is on Adobe's side. Either they changed the programming interface or they introduced the bug just before releasing the official version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably yes, but none of my plugins work, even non-NIK, all of them worked fine in beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF Adboe has made some changes in their Plugin-Interface for the final version - I see some responsilbity too on their side.

what has changed in this area form LR4 Beta to LR4???

cheers

/

Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still same problem as everyone else.  I uninstalled all of NIK software, downloaded the latest updates on all software, reinstalled..............same error. 

I sent a request to NIK tech support via email but have not received an answer as yet.

Will post if they respond with a solution.

Anyone contact Adobe with reference to this?  I heard they worked with the Beta edition but I just went from LR3 to LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updates from the NIK software did not solve the problem. (given the fact that they updated the files shows that they are aware of the problem)

When installing the updates I see now that both applications are recognised which did not happen before. (LR3 + LR4)

Nevertheless the result is the same. It simply does not start the plugin.

What I think is strange is that the BETA version of LR4 working fine.

Something must have happened along the way to the final version.

Using MAC PRO Lion 10.7.3

Hope they fix it soon.

regards

Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked Topaz Fusion, doesn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines