• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the BETA version for some time and I did not see this problem until I installed the released version of LR 4

The problem is that I cannot edit the images using my plugis from NIK software. ( I bought the complete collection about 3 months ago)

In the Beta version it was still OK.

Only the export plugin works (HDR from nik)

Also when I try to install the plugin again it only shows that it is compatible with LR3.

I just bought LR4 (since it worked in the BETA version)

Hope they will fix this soon. I also sent a message to NIK software.

anyone else has seen this problem

regards

Andre

I use MAC OS-X 10.7.3

NIK plugins are the latest versions available.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

You're right about that. Regardless, at least Adobe has a fix now. The LR-4.1 upgrade was easy to install and has fixed the problem once and for all - I hope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 295 Replies 295
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after i changed from Adobe 2010 to 2012 in the LR4 develop panel my Nik stuff worked. On your images you will see a little exclamation point that if you clik on it and say upgrade to 2012. I havent issues since but there are other quirks for sure..hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CEBimagery, it is funny how easy it is for people to think they've found a simple fix for a problem. I wish the fix was as easy as changing the Adobe develop version. Nope, that doesn't do the trick for me, but I'm sure happy it seems to have solved your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CEBimagery

I tried that already but for it does not work on my MAC.

Did you maybe installed CS5 or Photoshop elements?

Are you on a MAC 10.7.3 or PC XX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the trial version of Elements 10. I am on a PC windows 7.

After installation, all of NIK worked properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NIK has posted updates to their plug-ins for LR 4 compatability.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updates were posted yesterday. They did not seem to solve any of

the issues most of are having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes on a Mac 10.7.3  And I am using plugins that do work work in CS5 as well so that may have something to do with it, although is ee some have siad Nik relased updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it, and it didn't work. Hmm, could this be a plot to get us all to buy a version of Elements or the CS series? Seems to be the only trick that works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having issues with NIK plug-ins in Lightroom 4, make sure you uninstall the plug-ins, downloaded (from here) the latest updates to NIK, and reinstall.

The following were updated the same day as the LR4 release (3/6/12):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Brett N

I already updated my Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 to v. 2.004 and still unable to invoke it from LR4.  The same for PSE10, which I uninstalled and reinstalled yesterday.  Do you have other suggestions?  I am on 0S 10.7.3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Julie,

The Silver Efex plug-in for Lightroom merely adds itself to the list of applications you can "Edit In" (under the Photo menu). Does Silver Efex not appear there? Or are you encountering the separate issue of the Edit In function not operating properly. If Silver Efex is listed, then you will want to post your issue here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4250028#4250028

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Brett N

Yes, all my external editors appear in the Photo>Edit In menu.  However, using those commands fails to invoke the external editors, whether Photoshop Elements or Nik or Topaz. 

Thank you for the suggestion but I have already posted in the thread you mentioned.  Like many users, I am quite frustrated that none of the threads seem to be getting the attentiion of Adobe staff. I've also posted in the relevant section at Photoshop.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julie and Lukaav, what I am trying to say is that we are not aware of an issue with the plug-ins, whether installing them, or compatibility, or anything else, with Lightroom 4. However, we are seeing reports about the Edit In function not working, but not everyone is seeing this issue. For some, simply reinstalling the application fixes the issue, for others this is not the case. Our engineers are investigating the issue, but we don't have a lot to go on yet, hence the lack of response on the forum post. But it is something that is being worked on, and when we get some answers, we'll post them.

It's interesting Lukaav, that installing a Photoshop CS5 trial allowed things to start working. The Edit In command is working for all of your external editors now? Not just Photoshop CS5 but Topaz, NIK, etc? If that is true, it might give us a clue as to what is happening and how to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. Once I installed LR4 on my Windows 7 64 bit machine no external editor would work (NIK's Silver Efex Pro - latest version 2.004pl posted 3/6/12 or any other non-NIK software). All I got was "Unexpected error performing command:bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected, got nil)". I tried removing and installing Silver Efex without success. The fix for me was to install the PS CS5 demo (which first required to installed the Adobe Download Assistant which required Adobe AIR to be installed). Now all external editors (NIK and non-NIK) are working just like with LR3.6 (never tried LR4 beta).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it helps any.............the NIK software installs properly. What

happens is when you go to "edit in" and select a NIK software program

such as Define, etc. This is when you get the error. I don't use

photoshop, but after installing a trial software of Elements, I went

back to LR4 and the "edit in" function work fine and no errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Brett N

Thank you for the reply.  It's good to know that the engineers are aware of the issue of the Edit In command not working for some/many users.  I can send tracklogs if anyone wants to get in touch with me about this, otherwise I look forward to hearing of a resolution at some point.  Can you tell me where I would look for that reply?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett: someone suggested trying to uninstall the NIK software, then re-install. I tried that with Viveza 2, and it wouldn't accept the product keys. I tried Pro Efexs 4, and got the same result. I've got the latest versions of both. I'm sticking solely with Lightroom, and do not intend to buy a version of Photoshop just to get things working again. Luckily, I still have LR-3 operable, where the NIK software still works fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Brett N

That didn't work.

None of the plugins (NIK, Topaz, DxO) worked until i installed a trial of Photoshop CS5.

This is clearly the Adobe's problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Brett!

The updated Nik Plugins won't help,

but installing CS5 Demo on my Mac did help;

and as I tested the LR4 beta Nik-plugins workd fine both with LR3 and LR4

Interesting installing some other Adobe product like PSE or CS5

heals the failing area

Ther error clearly comes from the final version LR4

and not from the Nik Plugins, other Plugin Software like Topaz have the same problems

working with LR4

cheers

/Karl

I am developing software since Turbo C++ 1.0 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried uninstalling Viveza 2, then re-installing it. It wouldn't accept the product keys that were originally sent to me. Looks like they should just issue all of us the Beta version (or a free version of PE) and call it good night. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been up all night trying to get arond this issue, instrall, re-install, different versions etc.......end result, same issues as above    Lightroom 4 and updated nik plugins NOT working......bummed out  ;-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I'm using the newest plugin as posted above but get the following error message, "Unexpected error performing command: bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected, got nil)." This is a clean installation for me on a new hard drive and I haven't installed PS yet. Is that required to make this plugin work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So re-install PSE and everything should be fine? I'm interested to know if this is also true on a Mac (10.7.3)? I've noticed that with Windows users, you at least get some sort of an error - I am getting nothing. Just inaction.

I will try re-installing PSE when I get back home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@achrysostomou

For what it's worth, I have un-installed PSE10 twice now and continue to have the Edit In failure.  Same as you describe - there is no error message, it just fails to send the image to PSE.  I am on OS 10.7.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julie: I uninstalled, then re-installed Viveza 2, and NIK wouldn't accept the product key they gave me. This is all amazing to me. Stuff like this can put pros out of business. From what I've read, the only ones who are having any luck are the people who are installing Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines