• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the BETA version for some time and I did not see this problem until I installed the released version of LR 4

The problem is that I cannot edit the images using my plugis from NIK software. ( I bought the complete collection about 3 months ago)

In the Beta version it was still OK.

Only the export plugin works (HDR from nik)

Also when I try to install the plugin again it only shows that it is compatible with LR3.

I just bought LR4 (since it worked in the BETA version)

Hope they will fix this soon. I also sent a message to NIK software.

anyone else has seen this problem

regards

Andre

I use MAC OS-X 10.7.3

NIK plugins are the latest versions available.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

You're right about that. Regardless, at least Adobe has a fix now. The LR-4.1 upgrade was easy to install and has fixed the problem once and for all - I hope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 295 Replies 295
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2012 Mar 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

justme06 wrote:

Hmm I just remembered a trick from my patch deployment days that may make it much less intimidating. I dont know how to post files (and personally I wouldnt run any posted file unless I knew exacly what was in it) but the walkthrough is easyish.

To do the temp fix above safely and quickly:

1) Open Notepad

2) Copy and paste everything in bold below into Notepad (this does every thing that is said in the Kb article)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe]

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5\\"

@="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5\\Photoshop.exe"

3) Go File --> Save As

4) In "File Type" Select "All files"

5) Name it "LightroomPatch.reg" or something like that as long as it has ".reg" at the end. Just remember where you saved it

6) Close notepad and double-click the file you just made.

7) When it asks if you trust the source, because you made it on your own computer and it only contains what is bold above click "yes"

The fake key will be added and Lr4 Edit-In should now work while we wait for the official fix.

Hope this helps

Just modified this a little to work withy Elements 10 and Win 7 64bit and works well many thanks..

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe]

"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Photoshop Elements 10\\"

@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Photoshop Elements 10\\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe"

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this is only for Windows, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ justme06

I followed your instructions and it worked like a charm! Great work! So we now have a good workaround for Windows machines, hope Mac users will soon have one too.

@ Adobe

Of course this does not mean we are satisfied. Keep on working on a complete solution. Publishing an update to LR early next week would help in building back your credibility.

Have a nice weekend everybody!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

calsteve@pacbell.net

just tried the manual "fake key" workaround and I still get the same error in LR4 when I try to open a plug-in. Man....I can't catch a break here

Running Windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fake key works on my Windows 7 64bit PC. many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fake key trick worked for me too.  I created my reg file a bit differently.

I had installed CS5 demo version as a temporary fix for the LR4 problem.    Before uninstalling CS5 I exported the Photoshop key into a reg file (shown below).  After uninstalling CS5 I imported the key into the registry and LR4 works as it should.    BTW, after uninstalling CS5,  LR4 "Edit In" did not work until the fake key was in place.

Here's my reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe]

@="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\\Photoshop.exe"

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\\"

Cheers

Richard

PS. Running Windows 7 32bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This reg fix works a treat - much thanks!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi justme06,

thanks a lot for your hint and this workaround for an obvious LR4 bug.

That works perfect for me and your explanation why it works seems to be pretty logical.

I dont. care about the sideeffect that there are greyed-out photoshop menu items.

Of course I hope that Adobe will soon have a real fix for it.

Cheers from Germany

Reinhold

www.photonade.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get no response at all when I go to "Photo - Edit in - Silver Efex Pro2" It's as if it doesn't exist. Not prepared to go down the road of installing/reinstalling etc as my knowledge isn't great and I might make matters worse.. Guess I'll have to just wait till it gets fixed by Adobe /Nik..whoever BUT I'm regretting the money spent at the moment.  Back to LR3 I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 7   32-bit   CS5 was already installed

I am surprised at how hostile some of these complaints have been. Admittendly, I am one of the lucky ones. The two NIK plug-ins I have work fine (so far). I was on the recieving end of the catalog import issue with LR3, but that was worked through, just as this problem will be. I think those that are refusing to use LR4 until this problem is taken care of are missing a lot. I have found it easier, and get better results, to take care of many of my wildlife photos, especially those with both light and dark fur or feathers. Sunrise/sunset photos are also better.

The fix will come. Adobe is aware of the issue. The only question will be when. I suspect sooner, rather then later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi retiredff,

the real problem isn't the bug itself, but the silence of Adobe responsables or developers on this pages.

Than, I also think that the fix will coming soon.

Many thanks

Lorenzo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some thoughts for Windows users. Since the problem can be solved (in most  cases) by installing one of the other Photoshop family products (e.g. Elements), I suggest that it might be some commonly shared .DLL librariy responsible for proper functionalty of the plug-in section in LR4, that missing in the package. Hence, as soon as other product is installed and missing library put in place - LR4 goes smooth. May be I'm wrong, but I definetely would've  taken a challenge to investigate in that direction and check the files before and after installing other than LR4 Photoshop product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried installing Photoshop Elements Trial Version with no result..

The 2012 Button in Develop panel didn't work either..

Now I can confirm that installing Photoshop CS5.1 Trial Version fixed the problem. (OS-X 10.7.3 Lion)

The "Edit in" NIK Plugins are working fine again.

@Adobe

This is definitely your problem. Please do something!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit in - Plug ins not working.  Windows 7 64 Bit.  Do not have Photoshop CS5 so I downloaded and installed trial version of Photoshop CS5.  Did not run CS5 after installation.  Fired up Lightroom 4 and then tried my plug ins, Nik and Topaz.  They now are all working fine.  I don't need nor will I buy Photoshop so I guess I should be OK for 26 more days.  Isn't that wonderful!  For those who bought LR 4 remember Adobe was so kind to drop the price by 50%.  They would have felt guilty charging full price for a very bad piece of software.  Adobe has now bumped Microsoft down from top spot and reigns as No. 1 garbage software.  They should be charged with fraud, knowing they have major problems with  LR 4 and they are still selling it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on iMac (July 2010 issue), OS 10.6.8, with Photoshop CS5. I upgraded from LR3 to LR4 and had no problem with my Nik plug-ins (the entire suite). I also have downloaded Nik's updates to the plug-ins and, again, no problems. I am sorry to hear others are having problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rusty Sterling wrote:

I'm on iMac (July 2010 issue), OS 10.6.8, with Photoshop CS5. I upgraded from LR3 to LR4 and had no problem with my Nik plug-ins (the entire suite). I also have downloaded Nik's updates to the plug-ins and, again, no problems. I am sorry to hear others are having problems.

Yes it should have functioned properly for you. With any Photoshop product installed CS4 or 5 or Elements or any demo there of, that Directory or Registry entry is in the Mac or PC system that seems to allow that startup check to feed the Edit-In function the needed value to function properly. It appears mostly those who CS5 is not really in our budget at this time that it affects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that the problem only affects those who don't have neither CS5, nor PSE installed ?  Because what you say is that those who have a PS program installed shouldn't have that problem, but I'm not sure it is the case.

If it is truely the case, if noone having CS5 installed is having that problem, then I may go on and install the LR4 update which I have already paid. As is, I do already have LR3 and LR4beta installed and don't want to get a third one installed. So I have refrained to make the update untill this problem was solved.

So are any of those working with Win 7 64bits and having Photoshop installed encountering the problem ? Are there many testimonies that those having PS or PSE already installed (not installed afterward) have not problems ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rrr_hhh wrote:

So are any of those working with Win 7 64bits and having Photoshop installed encountering the problem ? Are there many testimonies that those having PS or PSE already installed (not installed afterward) have not problems ?

That would be me. I had PS and Silver Efex Pro 2 installed with LR3, and when I converted my catalogue to LR4, both of those apps were still available for external editing and worked fine.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rrr_hhh wrote:

I had PSE9 and Viveza2 installed before LR4, no problem at all using Viveza 2.

Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst I'm so pleased that someone has worked this out - see above post by b_gossweiler - it may as well be written in Klingon for all it means to me and I certainly wouldn't try it out myself. So COME ON ADOBE - how about helping those of us not quite so computer literate - WE SHOULDN'T BE HAVING TO DO THIS ANYWAY!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congrat. to Windows users. But someone have something for Mac Users?

What I can not understand why Nik worked at beta verison and now it does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2012 Mar 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Know how you feel..  Live long and prosper!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed LR4 and all the nik plug ins are working from photo>edit> except define has not appeared in the list!

Seems pretty random!

I am working on a way to connect define in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have any Mac users found any way to get things working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run LR4 under Lion on an six months old i-Mac 27" and both Color Efex 4 and SEP 2 are working without any issue. Apparently is a random error taking place in some system.

Ario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines