• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the BETA version for some time and I did not see this problem until I installed the released version of LR 4

The problem is that I cannot edit the images using my plugis from NIK software. ( I bought the complete collection about 3 months ago)

In the Beta version it was still OK.

Only the export plugin works (HDR from nik)

Also when I try to install the plugin again it only shows that it is compatible with LR3.

I just bought LR4 (since it worked in the BETA version)

Hope they will fix this soon. I also sent a message to NIK software.

anyone else has seen this problem

regards

Andre

I use MAC OS-X 10.7.3

NIK plugins are the latest versions available.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

You're right about that. Regardless, at least Adobe has a fix now. The LR-4.1 upgrade was easy to install and has fixed the problem once and for all - I hope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 295 Replies 295
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nik software is not produced by Adobe so they have no control how it interacts with Lightroom, surely its a job for Nik to ensure that their plugin is kept up to date?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right about that. Regardless, at least Adobe has a fix now. The LR-4.1 upgrade was easy to install and has fixed the problem once and for all - I hope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue but a different solution... running Windows Vista on a PC, installed Lightroom 4.1, already had installed Elements 9, created the registry keys, downloaded the trial, even reinstalled elements,  nothing would allow me to use NIK HDR Effex 2. Contacted Nik support and received the resolution below. Can't vouch for the Mac version, but the PC version worked for me. Hope this helps someone else!!

Mac Users:

Open a finder window (or double click on the Macintosh HD on the desktop) and navigate to:
Macintosh HD : Users : <user name> : Library :Preferences : Nik Software : HDR Efex Pro 2
Locate the file, HDREfexPro2.cfg and right-click and choose "open with..." and then click "Choose" and then locate the applications, "TextEdit" to open this file.
At the very beginning (before all the text) of the configuration file, paste the following code below verbatim:

<configuration>
<group name="INTERN">
<key name="UseSafeMode" type="bool" value="1"/>
</group>
</configuration>
Now save the file, close it and relaunch HDR Efex Pro 2 and see if the issue has been resolved.

Windows Users:

Click Start and type in the search box below: %localappdata% (exactly as shown with % symbols on each end), when the yellow folder "Local" is displayed in the search list, click on it.

The local folder will open, now double-click on "Nik Software" followed by "HDR Efex Pro 2" and locate the file HDREfexPro2.cfg and then double click to open. Windows will ask you which application to use to open this file, locate and choose "Notepad" to open.
At the very beginning (before all the text) of the configuration file, paste the following code below verbatim:

<configuration>
<group name="INTERN">
<key name="UseSafeMode" type="bool" value="1"/>
</group>
</configuration>
Now save the file, close it and relaunch HDR Efex Pro 2 and see if the issue has been resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sent: 18 September 2012 02:50

To: Vincent Vincenzo

Subject: NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

Cheers for that.. I`ll store it away .. The patch previously mentioned works fine with my system so I`d be foolish to replace it. But can`t hurt to have a back-up.

Best of luck..

Vince

Re: NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

created by CPUchickPhotog <http://forums.adobe.com/people/CPUchickPhotog> in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <http://forums.adobe.com/message/4706207#4706207

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that, according to a lot of the messages I've read on this forum, for every person who 

finds that a workaround works for them, there are just as many who have found that it doesn't. One of 

the primary suggestions was to download the trial versions CS5 or Elements on my iMac. Well, for 

some it worked. For others, it didn't.  Some didn't want to take up the required space on their computer 

for a temporary fix. I'll keep discovering all the new features in LR-4.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must ignore them ...

Here a site of a pro using Nik plugins introducing his results with the new Nikon D800

http://www.outthereimages.com/blog/

cheers

/

Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks, Karl. I know some people are waiting for the price of used D3s to come down, now that the D4 is out. 

Heck, if yo can't afford a new D4, the D3 is still a great camera. I'm sure, in time, those who can't afford the D4 will be 

able to a good deal on a used D3. Hopefully the 800 has noticeably improved ISO and focus. Thanks, again for the 800 

info, Karl.

Fred 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2012 Mar 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The registry fix works whether you had Photoshop installed or not. I'm sure this has been addressed a number of times in this thread. The Mac OS X fix works.

You are correct, I do consider the problem to be a minor inconvenience. Since reliable work arounds exist for Lightroom 4 running on either Windows and Mac OS X, for now, the "problem" is solved. No (more) downtime.

Or, don't upgrade, use LR3 until the next LR4 release comes out. Problem solved.

Or, if you've upgraded, downgrade. Problem solved.

No one needs to be down. Do the workaround, or stay with LR4, or go back to LR3.

In my books, LR4 delivers advantages worth any minor inconvenience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

grosmi18: Elements 10 will not do the trick. Download Photoshop CS 5 and install it.  You don't even need to fire it up once. Start up LR4 and you should see your SEP2 now working again.

Elements won't do it, PS will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you !

I will try again !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elements fixed it for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert - Elements may be a usable workaround on a Windows PC (this is what you are using, correct?) but appears not to be a useable workaround on Mac OS X. They may be the same applications from a user perspective but how they are installed and how integration is performed is different.

It doesn't matter much - a demo version of Photoshop CS5 is no more troublesome to download and install than Elements. What matters is which platform and what works.

What matters even more is that Adobe appears to own the problem now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, and the have the nerve to send out an email to us titled - "watching amazing advancements in LR-4."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2012 Mar 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So on my clean install of Lion, with no PS or its ilk present , the 'Edit with' function was not working with NIK plugins or AlienSkin's Exposure 4.

Having installed the Beta for PS CS6, everything works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me where to look to find out why I don't have the individual Chanel controls inTone Curve in LR4 ? - (as well as not being able to use any of my plugins!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I am not sure if people are still watching this...

My issue was LR4 was not giving me an OPTION of sending the file to PS with the edits intact. When I would click on edit in PS, it would not bring up the secondary option box; it just sent the original image to PS CS5.5 without any edits.
I installed ACR 6.7, and now the optional box to send the file to PS with or without edits comes up and it sends the right file to PS CS5.5

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I my previous post I mentioned falling back to LR 3.6; this has restored my workflow and back in business. But I have to say I am really peeved; as I have put in a lot of time and effort in converting catalogs, trouble shooting, trying to find out why some of the basics do not work as advertised. The big peeve is I paid for this upgrade and Adobe is using my hard earned money - yet I cannot use the product as advertised; something is not right here.

While I know this is not an Adobe support site, I know that Adobe does look through these posts and sometimes, usually at the engineer level post comments; but would be nice to hear from Adobe what their customer support plan is for this release and when we can expect a product that is equal to, or better than the public beta.

While I understand that there will always be bugs in software there are some that should never have made it out the door. </rant>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike: more good points. My point to the folks who keep saying we have to press on and use the workarounds (which, by the way, don't work for everyone), is that in the end, the bottom line is that's it's the principle of the thing; we've paid for something that we're not totally able to use. As far as features are concerned, does anyone know if the released version of LR-4 offers that much more than the Beta version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Unofficial Registry patch removal (for windows Vista/Win7 32 and 64 bit users)

With the official patch looking like it is comming out soon (RC is apperently out at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/), those who have tried the unofficial registry patch can safely remove it to make know whether or not the official patch works for them.

There are a few ways to remove it but here is what I feel is the safest and most fail proof way.

1) Open Notepad

2) Copy and past everything between the ******'s (not including the *****'s) into Notepad

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe]

3) Now go File--> Save As

4) In "File Type" Select "All Files"

5) Name it "RemovePhotoshop.reg" and save it to the desktop or another place where you can remember where it is.

6) Close notepad and double-click the file you just made

7) When it both asks if you trust the source (you made it) and after when it says it will "add" the information to the registry click "yes" (it will actualy remove the key not add it).

Reinstalling the Unofficial Patch - if needed (for windows Vista/Win7 32 and 64 bit users)

If the Official Patch does not work for you (remember it is still in RC stage - just a bit above Beta) the unofficial patch can be put in place again by the following instructions (almost the same as above) - True it is a few pages back but hopefully this makes it easier to find

1) Open Notepad

2) Copy and past everything between the ******'s (not including the *****'s) into Notepad

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe]

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5\\"

@="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5\\Photoshop.exe"

3) Now go File--> Save As

4) In "File Type" Select "All Files"

5) Name it "LightroomPhotoshopPatch.reg" and save it to the desktop or another place where you can remember where it is.

6) Close notepad and double-click the file you just made

7) When it both asks if you trust the source (you made it) and after when it says it will "add" the information to the registry click "yes"

Hope the official patch works well for all and hope this was helpful. Thanks for all the other users (like Beat) that helped out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justme06 --

Thanks for this!  Both the install and uninstall worked great for me, and kept me from having to install PS or PSE or anything else!

Well done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Nik and Topaz--got error message when I tried Edit In in Lightroom 4. I installed the latest updates from Nik (3/6/12) and Topaz. Problem did not go away. I installed the trial version of Photoshop Elements, and the problem is solved. I did not even have to open PE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines