• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the BETA version for some time and I did not see this problem until I installed the released version of LR 4

The problem is that I cannot edit the images using my plugis from NIK software. ( I bought the complete collection about 3 months ago)

In the Beta version it was still OK.

Only the export plugin works (HDR from nik)

Also when I try to install the plugin again it only shows that it is compatible with LR3.

I just bought LR4 (since it worked in the BETA version)

Hope they will fix this soon. I also sent a message to NIK software.

anyone else has seen this problem

regards

Andre

I use MAC OS-X 10.7.3

NIK plugins are the latest versions available.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

You're right about that. Regardless, at least Adobe has a fix now. The LR-4.1 upgrade was easy to install and has fixed the problem once and for all - I hope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 295 Replies 295
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ario are you running or have Photoshop installed on your computer?  If you do there seems to be no issue but those who do have Photoshop have the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS5 installed on my computer but I have launched Nik SW from LR4 only, after the upgrade from LR3.,

Ario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be the key.  Those who do not have CS5 installed on their computer have the problem.  You do not have to run CS5, you just need it to be installed on your computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good marketing move by Adobe.

Ario

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, let's make it so everyone has to buy Elements or CS in order to make things work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These may only be temporary fixes coz I had this same issue when I upgraded to LR 3.6 and none of my plugins from NIK Software worked. Nik Software didn't know what the issue was but they did advise me to uninstall and then reinstall (not just reinstall) the applications and that worked fine for me on a Win 7 64 bit machine.

Sorry that is all I can think of as my install and upgrade didn't have any hitches this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have just installed CS5 - trial version - and all Nik plugins worked wiht LR4. Of course it is not the solution, but wiling Adobe dos not provide the fix it will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard a few mention that they got things working again by installing Elements. I

f you want to go that route, probably best to install the trial version, unless you want 

the software anyway. Hopefully, by the time the trial is over, they might have a 

solution to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From looking at other Mac posters, for mac it only appears that only CS5 trial seems to work reliably. You should not need to worry about CS5 trial expiry as Lr4 does not need to start CS5 to register it as being installed on the computer. It will keep working whether trial is up or not. But the patch should not take too long. The work around's might seem easyish so might wonder why is it taking so long, but workarounds are not really that good for a permanent solution. Somtimes there are more complex problems under the "hood." Recoding, retesting and redeploying unfortunatly takes a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I remind users who are new to this thread to go to the official bug report/feature request site and register your comments on this issue so that Adobe knows how many of us are affected?  Here is the link:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr4_external_editor_failure

It is currently the second most common problem reported there but still only 46 users have voted on it.  Let them know we care! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks fot the work around.

I had a problem getting my topaz plugins and PaintShop Pro to run as external editors.

The fake key fixed the problem.

since there is a workaround why can't Adobe release a patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jum: maybe they're waiting for everyone to buy Elements or CS5 first

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe writes in the support pages that LR 4 looks for a com.adobe.photoshop.plist on a Mac user's library folder. And indeed installing a CS 5.x trial will let all plugins work. So instead installing CS 5 with the unwanted Adobe Installer Akamai something stuff I would like to find out whether it is possible to simply create the requested file.

Anyone here with a CS5 trial on a Mac who can copy the contents of the .plist file?

Pls. no versions with a serial number since there might be a hint to it in the .plist file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christian

I have installed the trial version of CS5 on my MAC 10.7.3 and indeed the NIK plugins work in LR4.

Then I saved the plist file that was created to the desktop (copy) so I had an additional copy.

Then I removed the CS5 trial version trhoug the un-installer.

After the un-istall the plist file was still in tehe library so I thought this is good.

Then I started LR4 but the plugins did not work anymore. So this means there is more required then just this plist file I guess, unless I did something wrong.

regard

Andre

PS. This is the text inside the plist file.

File is called - com.adobe.Lightroom4.plist

bplist00”      _  uiLanguageKey CS5.1_ "NSDisabledCharacterPaletteMenuItem_  oldPaletteFontTypeKey CS5.1Uen_GB   %Jhno   q

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant of course:

com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is text inside this file:

bplist00”      _  uiLanguageKey CS5.1_ "NSDisabledCharacterPaletteMenuItem_  oldPaletteFontTypeKey CS5.1Uen_GB   %Jhno   q

On my MAC it did not help to have this file. So it means there is something else that helps to get the plugins work.

regard

Andre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it help to keep the Photoshop.app in the Applications folder? Or any empty folder called Photoshop.app (I don't have Photoshop so I don't know the exact name)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing Elements 10 on my Mac did not resolve the problem. Guess I'll install the full CS suite next, demo mode, as a workaround. Fingers crossed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just to let ya know, in my case I installed Elements 10 on my pc and the problem is corrected. I have enough HD space to accomaodate it with out worry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I also installed LR4 and my NIK filters in a clean install on my backup laptop which is a Win 64 Dual Core machine with 500gb hard drive and none of the filters worked from LR4 until I installed (not started) a copy of PSE 10.

Definatly a bug ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that installing Photoshop CS5 is a valid workaround to the plugin launch problem in LR4 on my Mac.

For Adobe's benefit, this Mac was a completely clean Mac, fresh OS install (Lion), fresh install of Lightroom 4 (never 3 first) and a fresh install of the LR4-ready Silver Efex Pro 2. Prior to adding a PS CS5 demo install as a work around, the failure mode experienced on this machine was:

- attempt to launch external editing app

- nothing happens - no error dialog, nothing

Clearly there is a missing component(s) that Lightroom 4 failed to install or was not included in the LR4 installation package for Mac / OS X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here Mac Book Air; Lion 10 7 3; Silver Effect Pro 2 latest release, and even after installing Element10 yesterday, no joy, still nothing happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I've just closed a chat with an Adobe technician...

He told me that the fix for the "edit in" problem will be present in the first update of LR4

I think that it will resolve the problem in Win 7 64bit and Mac.

Hope this fix will come very soon....

Lorenzo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lfranzoni wrote:

Hi guys,

I've just closed a chat with an Adobe technician...

He told me that the fix for the "edit in" problem will be present in the first update of LR4

I think that it will resolve the problem in Win 7 64bit and Mac.

Hope this fix will come very soon....

Lorenzo

That's too bad they aren't going to release a quick patch.  I think more than a few of us do use external editors to PP our photos rather than depend soley on LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all who have reported on this forum post. We are aware of the issue, we are working on a fix. We do not have a release date for this fix yet.

Having ready through every post, the conclusion is there are currently one workaround per OS:

Win:

Artificially create the registry keys required by Lightroom (Thank you justme06 and b_gossweiler):

1) Open Notepad

2) Copy and paste everything in bold below into Notepad

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe]

"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5\\"

@="C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Adobe Photoshop CS5\\Photoshop.exe"

3) Go File > Save As

4) In "File Type" Select "All files"

5) Name it "LightroomPatch.reg" and save to your Desktop

6) Close notepad and double-click "LightroomPatch.reg".

7) When it asks if you trust the source, click "yes"

Mac:

Download and install the trial for Photoshop CS5

When the patch is released, I'll post an update here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines