• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Profiles Browser Panel Jumping About

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an extensive number of Profiles, so the open Browser panel is VERY long. I often make 20–30 Virtual Copies in order to apply different profiles for comparison. But if, say, I have scrolled three-quarters of the way down and am trying out two adjacent profiles in the list, after applying the first and then advancing to the next virtual copy for the second, the Profiles panel does not hold still but jumps all the way back to the start. So I now have to scroll back down a LONG and time-consuming way to get to where I was before (as well as try to locate where I want to retyurn to.) It is more than doubling my workflow time for what should be a very quck process.

By the way, before the introduction of the Profiles browser panel, I would carry out exactly the same process with the Presets panel on the other side (and occasionally still do.) But unlike Profiles, the presets list does not jump and the panel stays still in between image changes.

I really feel there should be a fix for this, it's incredibly frustrating.

Screenshots attached show the extent of the problem; the first shows (not even all) of the 'Generic' categories, while the second shows some of the 42 individual Profiles contained within just one 'Generic'  category. (Now just imagine all the scrolling involved when it jumps all the way back to the very top of Adobe's own list each time.)

MAC OS 11.6; Lightroom Classic 11.3.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have noticed, when I have exported /published pictures and then have
to scroll or edit what I have posted that pictures Jump around. have not
had this prior to 11.3.1 on windows 10

--
Ron Byram
Photographing the Adventure
https://photographingtheadventure.smugmug.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried adding the key ones to Favorites? Hopefully, this will lock them to one area. 

Clicking the star in the upper-right corner will add to Favorites.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to josephlavine: yes I have and you're right. But with difficult images I need the entire pool to make my choices from (happens often!)

Replying to ronbyram: alas, it's happened on all versions since the Profile panel was introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, does anybody on this forum know if the Adobe people thesmelves will have read my post as I'm now guessing that they'd be the only ones who could fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This behavior is as-designed.

When you select the Virtual Copy, the Profile Panel will return you to the current profile for the newly-selected image (most likely Adobe Color). 

All images have a default Profile but not all images have a default Preset which is one reason the behavior varies from what you saw with the Preset Panel. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to Rikk Flohr . . .

Thank you for explaining the logic behind this, which I now follow and understand (up to a point.)

However, since the introduction of the profile browser Adobe may have become a victim of its own success. Please allow me to explain!

At the time, I believe the conventional workflow assumption was (and probably still is) that the photographer would first select their profile and start editing from there.

However, once I discovered the extremely opaque and fiddly formula for converting presets into profiles (which was beyond everybody on this forum, by the way) suddenly the real value of this feature became apparent:

a) My 'presets' were now nested amongst the Develop panels (ie in Profiles) so they are much quicker to access and use;

b) Even more importantly, their strength is now infinitely adjustable on the slider (default 100). You can't do this with presets without a very clunky (by comparison) plug-in called Opal. For example, I often use a Kodak film simulation that is highly saturated by nature. Now if I wish I can dial it down to 75% in real time and while observing the effect.

The result, as you will already have gathered by looking at my screenshots, is that over time I have so far converted nearly all of my precious (long discontinued) VSCO presets into profiles, amounting to several hundred over their nine 'packs'. (However, I still believe that even more casual preset users would benefit from a conversion to profiles for the reasons given.)

Therefore, in my humble capacity as a daily Lightroom user, I would urge you to take another look at this whole subject and consider whether indeed the original preset concept and application has moved on somewhat in the light of recent advances in the program. (Also, perhaps, a far less cumbersome method for doing the conversion itself!)

In so doing, maybe along the way my present issue would be addressed.

Would be most grateful for your consideration and comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you would like to make a feature request -perhaps more than one. 
See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/how-do-i-write-a-feature-request/idi-p/123863... 

Referencing:
b) Even more importantly, their strength is now infinitely adjustable on the slider (default 100). You can't do this with presets"

Have you seen this post? https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/beta-preset-amount-slider-on-camera-raw... 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Replying to Rikk Flohr . . .

Thanks, Rikk, I'll follow up both of these (though I admit you'll never get me going back to the left-hand panel ie presets, for editing controls again!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines