• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Denoise unavailable on compressed DNGs

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On all my compressed DNG files I am seeing "denoise is not currently compatible with this photo format"

Anyone else?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Denoise is only compatible with Bayer and X-trans files. DNG uses Bayer, but Compressed DNG have already been demosaiced.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Denoise is only compatible with Bayer and X-trans files. DNG uses Bayer, but Compressed DNG have already been demosaiced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So even though I used Lightroom's "Lossy Compression" I will never be able to use this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will never be able to use this feature?

I can't speak of the future.

Now?

HDR and Pano Merged DNG files have already been demosaiced. Therefore, they're not compatible with Denoise. Your Compressed DNG files at 8-bit are equally not compatible with Denoise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, i was searching for this reaction. I used HDR at all my photo's and now Denoise doesn't work. Too bad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well yes, it does work - exactly as designed, on the formats it's intended for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So even though I used Lightroom's "Lossy Compression" I will never be able to use this feature?

By @Jim Pixley 2

Saying “never” is probably too far of a leap to jump to a conclusion right now. Today Adobe engineering posted an article on how AI Denoise works. In it, Eric Chan (who has driven a long list of Lightroom/ACR innovations) wrote:

What’s next?

Denoise is our third Enhance feature. We’re proud of what it can do today, but we’re already looking ahead to make it even better. For instance, we have some ideas on how to use additional training data to improve resolution. We’d like to support additional file formats and combine Denoise with Super Resolution. We’re even looking into ways to speed up the workflow by not needing to make a new DNG file.

It’s clear that Adobe thinks this new feature they just released is only a first try; it says they are open to supporting additional formats. So it is possible that some future version of AI Denoise will be more useful than it is today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be good if I had known there were going to be limitations in the future to converting certain libraries to lossy compression.  At the time I was trying to save space with, as best I could tell, no real loss in quality.  Thank you for the article.  Here's hoping...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I am hoping for along these lines is this (which is purely my own speculation): There will be a lot of demand to AI denoise popular demosaiced lossy formats such as JPEG. If Adobe figures out a good way to AI Denoise that, it may lead to being able to AI denoise the DNG demosaiced lossy format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It would be good if I had known there were going to be limitations in the future to converting certain libraries to lossy compression."

I'm not sure I understand your objection, Jim - nobody knows that there are (or are not) going to be limitations in the future: but as the article from Eric Chan made clear from Day One, the current limitations are certainly known and publicised:

"Denoise is currently supported only for Bayer and X-Trans mosaic raw files, but we’re looking into ways to support other photo formats in the future."

It's in the "What's New?", too:

"Denoise can run only on Bayer and X-Trans RAW images."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We’re even looking into ways to speed up the workflow by not needing to make a new DNG file."

I was glad to see that: creating a new "RAW" file from a RAW file has been the major (workflow-killing) irritation in the process, for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Today Adobe engineering posted an article on how AI Denoise works."

It was actually a month ago, Conrad - that's Eric's original article on the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure what you mean Keith…the article was a month ago because what was quoted is from a reply I posted…a month ago. The date on the reply where I posted the link is the same date as the linked article.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines