Exit

P: (Mac 11.x) ICC Custom Profiles Are Missing

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS Big Sur 11.6.4

Current Lightroom CC

For YEARS my ICC Profiles have been located in user side ColorSync folder and worked fine. No problems ever, when using the Develop Module Soft Proofing and the Print Module Color Management. 

Selecting and deSelecting "Other" is not allowing my installed ICC profiles to be used!

Over the past few days I've done a handful of troubleshooting i.e. reinstalling print drivers and downloading different ICC profiles just to see if they will show up.

Any suggestions for a fix?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Printer profiles have been broken since macOS Big Sur 11.6.2 It works in 11.6.1 and Monterey 12.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Had the same problem. Just downloaded Big Sur update 11.6.5 today 17th March 2022 and problems with Photoshop and lightroom now all ok. Martyn

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right...the problem was specifically with macOS Big Sur 11.6.2 through 11.6.4. Any versions before or after that range are OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Montgomery I had the issue. If you can see the profile on ColorSync, it cannot be see inside Lightroom 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monterey not Montgomery 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent a good part of a day trying to figure out where the ICC profiles dissappeared to when I tried to print on my Canon Pro 1000 from an IMAC running Monerey 12.3.1 and Photoshop CC updated.  The answer was to remove the printer and add it again in system preferences.  I was getting hung up in Color Sync not being able to repair ICC profiles - which turns out was irrelevant.  Adobe was clueless. Apple was clueless.  Canon had the simple solution.  Although I then found Epson offered the same advice. Whenever you upgrade your IOS you should do this and all will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same printer, Canon pro 1000 After an update to the lateest monterey and the latest photoshop 2022,, and the latest canon driver, and doing the above procedure including reset printer system, my favorite paper profile is visible to choose in the print dialog box ( photoshop maages color)  but the print settinigs button is dead. It only dead  with this particular profile which had worked fiine in Big Sur.

Suggestions welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue is due to ColorSync and canon driver. If I use some rip that can bypass the driver (ie Mirage), iccs work without any issue 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use macOS Big Sur 11.6 but have had a hard time loading a new printer profile.  I can see the new profile in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles but Photoshop won't load it.  I tried so many different things and this work-aroun seems to work.

I used the Superuser in Linux window.  Here are my steps:

Open a Terminal window

cd /Library/ColorSync/Profiles
sudo mv LargeFormat.icc BU_LargeFormat.icc   (you need your password at this step)
sudo mv MetalPrintsICCProfile.icc LargeFormat.icc

To explain the above steps:
LargeFormat.icc is an existing icc that loads on Photoshop
MetalPrintsICCProfile.icc is the new icc I want to load but couldn't 
I backed up LargeFormat.icc to BU_LargeFormat.icc, then
"Copy" the content of the new icc to the existing icc
Open Photoshop, now when you load LargeFormat.icc, it's actully MetalPrintsICCProfile.icc

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use macOS Big Sur 11.6 but have had a hard time loading a new printer profile.  I can see the new profile in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles but Photoshop won't load it.  I tried so many different things

By @JD712

Which version specifically do you have? The earlier posts establish that macOS fails to load the profiles in macOS Big Sur 11.6.2 through 11.6.4, but the versions before and after that work properly, for example macOS 11.6.5 fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Big Sur 11.6 without any extra extension.  So that's probably before 11.6.1 I assume. I can see the ICC profiles in the libraray folder but not in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. Well, then I can’t explain it for that version (11.6). It seemed like the problem started in 11.6.2, but maybe there was another factor involved. Not sure how to resolve it if there is a reason you can’t install version 11.6.5 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old discussion, but the problem is still out there.   I have it and I'm running OS X 14.2.1 (Sonoma) and current versions of light room, and Photoshop as of this date (JAN 2,2024).

I just got off the phone with Epson support, and their recommendation, which worked, was to reinstall my printer. That did the job, but as you know any custom settings for the previous printer were lost when I did that.

The issue is with Epson, and not Adobe or Apple. Epson is now storing their standard Epson paper, ICC profiles in the printer profile folder in the system library, not in the Colorsync profiles folders (system and user).  On my computer that path looks like: Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/ .  When I write clicked on one of the .profiles files in that folder and selected "Show Package Contents", I found all my Epson paper profiles.

I asked Epson Support if I was going to have to reinstall the printer every time there was a significant OSX update, and they said "yes".

I don't understand why Epson has taken this approach because it's causing so much grief for all the Epson users, but I did find a possible long-term solution in this blog post: https://blog.conradchavez.com/2020/11/22/printer-profiles-missing-on-macos-a-permanent-solution/

The author recommends locating the profiles folder, creating an alias to it, and then putting that in the Colorync profiles folder. That way the Adobe applications can find the Epson profiles.

I know this thread is marked as solved, but I don't think it really is. I found it today looking for a solution before I called Epson and thought I would help readers who find this later to know what I learned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!! This is definitely still a problem, especially with older printers and constantly updating operating systems. Creating an alias is a great addition too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines