• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1150 Replies 1150
New Here ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God results with Generative Remove for removing 3/ 4 of the background , I have used the 5th variant- almoe perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does not remove objects - only transform them a bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a really great feature. I just have one comment. For professional photographers like me, who apreciate every detail; the resolution of the generated pixels is insuficient. Maybe, you could improve the resolution of the generative AI, because with high megapixel cameras, it could be seen a little bit fake or bad editted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea is great but the processing time is sooooo looong it makes me not want to use it 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is frankly quite dispointing, not nearly as good as the same feature in photoshop. This is most surprising as I would have expected adode could have used the same AI feature/algorithms as in photoshop instead of seamly starting from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The generative removal of LRc was great, I tested it and it was perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is working really well for me in Lightroom Classic on my Mac. However, the edits only appear when I export to JPG, not to DNG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

this tool doesnt work on my computer. Tells me to check my internet connection!!!!!!!!!

rgds

Hallgeir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My objective was to remove the second swan to the left of the main subject swan 

Generative AI & Object Aware, didn't remove it, but created mishapen versions of the swan

Object Aware on its own did remove the swan but the resultant content was messy and not suitable to use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Overall it worked well but. I erased a chainlink fence and sign in the lower left of this picture. However, there is a little bit of a tone difference just above the level of the water where they were removed that can be seen.  Also didn't do so well removing a chain link fence in the same spot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In situations where I want to remove "tourists" from a shot, most of the time, it just replaces the person I am trying to remove with another person or object, rather than simply removing it and generating a similar background. I would say 1 out of 10 times it simply removes the person. The rest of the time, it replaces the person with another very badly rendered one. Since it is labled a remove tool, this is disappointing. Seems like the default should be to just remove the person or object.  Adding a new random person or object is not needed in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is working very well for me, I am saving time when making edits by not having to go to Photoshop to remove distractions in some of my images!  It also serves the purpose of teaching me to look for distractions when taking the photo by making me more aware.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Start. It takes a while for Generative Remove to remove a few spots - so I chose the regular remove tool instead, but it crashed 4 times in a row.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried twice the generative AI remove tool in LR Classic and both times it didn't work. I selected the object to remove and also selected the shadows and a little extra.

Cmp=Macbook Pro Apple M2 Max Sonoma 14.5 Lightroom Classic 13.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new version it's impossible to move the reference used to clone IA desactivate or not.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I tried using the generative removal tool to remove an object from a black and white photo. I found that after the removal, the shadow of the object was still included. So, it seems that the generative removal tool might not be fully effective in black and white effects.截屏2024-05-22 10.14.57.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted the photo to color mode, but it still couldn’t complete the removal work, so it turns out the issue wasn’t related to black and white.

I think I know the reason. The generative removal tool makes modifications based on the original image. If your photo has undergone mask selection adjustments, it won’t be able to perform generative removal according to the existing layers.

截屏2024-05-22 10.24.35.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you hit the nail on the head. The gen ai appears to be using the base image without adjustments. If they moved the generated images to just above the base layer, maybe our adjustments would work and not have noticeable differences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the AI Mask button at right side of the toolbar, you'll see a red dot below it. This indicates that you've applied Generative Remove after applying an AI based mask. The issue isssue is easily fixed by using the Update  AI Settings option shown under the Develop module Settings menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried in a photo of my wife when she was pregnant. She's showing her belly. And the AI doesn't think is safe enough. Ok - but I then tried to add black on top of her and still didn't work, still thinks is unsafe? What are the workarounds?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the addition of gen ai to Lightroom but I have one minor issue. There is a clear outlined edge to anything I select after generation. The colors don't match and it's a harsh line. A feather option would be nice for the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally works really well. The only issue I have come across that sometimes it randomly replaces objects, other times it removes them. How can I tell the software what to do? Most of the times I want to remove distracting objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have provided answers to the most common questions at below link.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/generative-remove-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to eliminate a powerline, or powerlines, with an aurora as a background, AI remove gives me ... powerlines in the fill.

Heal is already poor at this; there is too much bleed and this is an *exasperating* chore, but AI remove does not work at all, before or after the recent update (just updated today before trying again).

You would think that powerline removal would be working well in many use cases by now, but LR is just as bad at removing powerlines over aurora today as it was the first time I tried it when Heal was first implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With AI Remove, you need to ensure that the entire powereline is selected/masked. If you leave anything unselected/masked, then there a high probability that the powerline will be replaced with itself or similar. I've attached an example of a failure and success below.

before-after.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines