• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1170 Replies 1170
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2024 Jun 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working in LrC. Works nicely in Photoshop, but in LrC I'm getting zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@brianp36230040: "Not working in LrC. Works nicely in Photoshop, but in LrC I'm getting zip"

See this article about how to use Remove and why you're probably getting different results in Photoshop:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

If that doesn't help, please attach an original photo (not an export) here and call out the object you can't remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It dosn't work as good as photoshop AI 
and hope you incloude croping with AI just like photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked great for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hussain Khalaf, can you please attach an original photo that doesn't work as well in LR as in PS? That would let us and Adobe see what's not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very happy with the new updates! Saves me tons of time on switching to Ps! But i've come across this bug (?) a couple of times now. It removes the person I want to remove, but it keeps a shadow there. Even after selecting it multiple times and rerunning the Generative AI it still keeps the shaduw. Anyone know a solution to this?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fotozoet, did you apply a mask to the sky?  Do the menu command Settings > Update AI Settings to recompute the sky mask, and the shadows should go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

After Adobe's update to 13.3.1 version with AI healing brush, regular work in Lightroom became very slow.  I'm using healing brush 1 time per 100 photos, but I always need speed in Develop module because I working with it 8 hours per day.

We all need speed up Lightroom now. Version 13.0.1 were qiute fast. 

My PC: Win11, intel 13900, 128gb ram, GeForce 4060Ti, few ssd's 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When removing objects blurred in bokeh, some borders with shading are visible afterwards. Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 4.20.15 AM.pngScreenshot 2024-06-10 at 4.20.50 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when zoomed in on corrected area, some artificial texturing is visible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not remotely work as well as in Photoshop; I have a picture of a conference speaker and mic coming into the frame in front of a clear grey background. Microphone is not removed but replaced with another microphone. Funny if it woudnt be so sad. Also typically: a tree branch in front of a clear blue gets to be removed but leaves a clearly visible rest of the branch at the picture. I know that from the other "removal"-tools in Lightroom. None of them is as good as in photoshop. Why is that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Henrik34037016ir40: "a tree branch in front of a clear blue gets to be removed but leaves a clearly visible rest of the branch at the picture."

Do you have a mask applied to the sky?  Do the menu command Settings > Update AI Settings to recompute the mask and get rid of the shadow branch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Henrik34037016ir40: "I have a picture of a conference speaker and mic coming into the frame in front of a clear grey background. Microphone is not removed but replaced with another microphone."

Temporarily remove any crop and disable Lens Corrections and Transform. Include a generous boundary around the object, and then it should be replaced with background (removed) rather than with another version of the object. See this article:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

If that doesn't help, please attach the original photo here (not an export) so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This updatedversion is fantastic. I can now remove things like sticks that are going through my bird without distorting the image and the first time as well. The only issue I see is that some tings that are light or maybe a little blurry it wont pick up but if I just do a small piece that is dark then go and highlight the rest of the object then press apply it will remove it. overall I love it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works great, justr tried it - Windows PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a number of ai-enabled presets that I use in my beach portrait photography, one of which involved sky and background detection. It seems that generative ai spot removal does not redetect those areas, leaving "ghost" areas like these when the buildings in the background were removed with the spot removal tool. It also regenerated much smaller light posts even though the areas around the posts were masked out by at least 100% of their height. So for it's not helping my workflow. I still need to move over to photoshop to correct. 

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 9.45.14 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 9.39.10 AM.png

https://www.beachpathimages.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2024 Jun 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ghost images shown in your screenshot are as a result of applying 'Generative AI remove' to an image that has an AI based mask. This is denoted by a red dot under the 'Masks' icon on the toolbar. You can fix the issue by using  the 'Update AI Settings', which can be found in the Develop module Settings menu or as shown in attached screenshot.

red dot mask.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Estaria bien mejorar la resolución, aunque eso se traduzca en mas tiempo, para objetos largos o lineas de muchos pixeles, la resolución es muy muy baja y te ves obligado a hacerlo en un monton de fragmentos. La herramienta es genial, pero está muy verde todavia para imagenes de alta resolución.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to eliminate the reflection of me in the window between me and the gorilla in the zoo. It did not accurately recreate the gorilla body that I was trying to get.  It did get rid of my reflection and tried to replace it with gorilla, but failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom Classic was updated five days ago to 13.3. 1. I have a problem where there is a section that is missing, which is

VARIATIONS.

Why is it not there if I had an update done?

Jim267910863n69

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to eliminate the reflection of me in the window between me and the gorilla in the zoo. It did not accurately recreate the gorilla body that I was trying to get.  It did get rid of my reflection and tried to replace it with gorilla, but failed. I then turned on the object aware option and got a better image using variation 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was fantastic until few days ago. I don't know what happened but before it was very powerful to remove undesired objects or people. Now it doesn't remove but just replace. It doesn't matter if you follow what it is explained in the suggested link (https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/) because I always did like suggested and it worked... until now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Martina29640392nh5r, please attach an original photo here (not an export) so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. If the forum won't let you attach it, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm encountering a problem with the AI/object-aware eraser tool. When I switch to it for a new editing area, the previous area I edited with the non-AI eraser is still affected. It seems the AI mode isn't moving to the current area I'm working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@shashwat, to switch modes, e.g. from Generative AI to non-Generative AI, without affecting your current applications of Remove, close the tool and then reopen it:

johnrellis_0-1718177744767.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines