• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1170 Replies 1170
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2024 Jun 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This software is simply incredible! I had a beautiful portrait that was ruined from a yellow traffic light sticking out of the subject's head ever so slightly but completely throwing off the photo. I had no expectations whatsoever when I selected the area and hit generate. I audibly gasped when it perfectly removed the sign yet kept every flyaway hair from the subject's head perfectly intact, although it did add some extras resulting in some more volume, which is fine, and filling in the gaps with the same green scenery as the rest of the image. I am thoroughly impressed. 

Well done Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2024 Jun 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes great but also sometimes by far not so good as when it's done in Photoshop. I tried to remove a stem from a plant at the edge of my image  but it replaced with practically the same stem. But when it works it's great that one doesn't have to hop over to photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@willemientje: "I tried to remove a stem from a plant at the edge of my image  but it replaced with practically the same stem."

This occurs when there are pixels cropped out due to Crop, Lens Corrections, or Transform. Remove looks at all the pixels, cropped or not. So temporarily undo the Crop and disable Lens Corrections and Transform, then apply Remove, then re-enable Crop, Lens Corrections, and Transform. See this article for more details:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/ 

But if that doesn't help, please attach here a full-resolution JPEG export of the original (unmodified) image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I LOVE IT!!!! Im a newborn, baby and family photog and Im always dealing with drool and spit on stains on clothes and it is a great time saver!!! If you brush in in the direction of the pattern it works 100%. So far I have not had an issue. THANKS for this!!! If you do it in smaller sections its perfect. So far so good!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a full time photographer, I use Generative Remove for lighting corrections ( distracting shadows and spill )on set for live theatre. It works amazingly, saving me time and saving the the shot where everyone is perfect "except for the distracting "....  Not perfect yet, however, so much quicker and easier to make the correction in lightroom than exporting into Photoshop and the clone tool would take longer trying to find the matching pattern. angle etc.

An example is when the theatre black out blinds got bumped during a dress rehearsal and resulted in a light streak across the carpet in a drawing room scene...   AI matched the pattern in the carpet excellently.

LC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did more tests with respect to the guidelines. I wanted to remove/replace something along the picture's border e.g. replace the white triangle (bottom-left) with the expected tent rope.

I imported the raws in LrC using a preset with lens corrections (default). Unchecking those wouldn't really help: LrC is replacing the content with a similar white item most of the time.

I imported the raw again and without any crop nor transformation, LrC is more likelly to replace the white triangle with some kind of tent rope. While there are examples on the picture to relate to, the results are weird most of the time.

Bug: In all of the cases, LrC won't initially select the whole selected area, espacially at the picture borders. I need to re-select part of it with the Mask Refinement brush.

ThierryH_1-1719838515427.png

Note: moving the Heal source, its content does not always appear in the destination. Heal and Clone do not always find similar content. Implementing Alt+Click (cfr. PS) might help?

ThierryH_2-1719838763946.png 

Tip: Like before, it helps to choose the better result and to use the (e.g. Remove) tool again, instead of clicking Refresh again.

Note: While the 1024 pixel limitation can be overcome in PS, this limitation can't be in Lr. It will only be useful in blurred and darkened areas.
It might be useful to have a Select Object button and a Remove/Replace switch to solve all of this post's related issues.

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ThierryH: "replace the white triangle (bottom-left) with the expected tent rope. I imported the raws in LrC using a preset with lens corrections (default). Unchecking those wouldn't really help: LrC is replacing the content with a similar white item most of the time."

When an object  along the edge of a raw photo is consistently replaced by variants of the object rather than surrounding background, that invariably indicates there are hidden pixels. Using the JPEG you attached, the white triangle was replaced by grass and rope on the first try:

johnrellis_0-1719865618104.png johnrellis_1-1719865644046.png

further indicating there are hidden pixels along the edge of the raw photo that Remove is matching.

In addition to Crop, Transform, and Lens Corrections (which you said you disabled), there's a fourth way of getting hidden pixels.  Many cameras produce raw files that are a little bit bigger than a standard aspect ratio. The Camera Raw engine then automatically crops the image to the standard ratio, and you can't undo that crop (most users don't even know about it). But Remove still looks at the cropped pixels and tries to match them.

For example, your Canon EOS 90D produces raws that are 6984 x 4660 (aspect ratio ~ 1.4987), and LR / Camera Raw automatically crops the raws to 6960 x 4640 (aspect ratio = 1.5 = 3:2). In your example photo, there is a 10 - 12 pixel-wide border that's been cropped out.  When you select the white triangle, unless you also select the hidden white pixels in that border, Remove will try to match them with white replacements.  

Luckily you can select those hidden pixels with careful brushing. See this post (linked from the tutorial article) for details on how to do that:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/more-complications-with-remove-and-cropped-pixels.5... 

If that doesn't help, then please attach the original raw here, or if the forum doesn't let you, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and include the sharing link.

Adobe knows about the issue with Crop -- one of the tips shown in LR say to Remove then Crop. I don't know if Adobe is aware of the similar problems that occur with Lens Corrections, Transform, and the invisible initial Camera Raw cropping.  Removing distracting objects from the edges of photos is a very common use case, as exemplified by all the posts her, and currently Remove is very fussy about it.  Many or most users will never know to disable Crop, Lens Corrections, and Transform and then to select the automatically cropped borders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently very frustrated with the generative remove in Lightroom. 

I use it on a photo, go to the next and then when I go back to the one I used the generative remove on, it's not applied and is showing each spot as an error (with the exclamation point over each spot).

Has anyone had any issues with this? I've reset the preferences, changed the graphic driver preferences, and tried different computers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chelseyl46600433: "I use it on a photo, go to the next and then when I go back to the one I used the generative remove on, it's not applied and is showing each spot as an error (with the exclamation point over each spot)."

Do you get similar symptoms if you use AI masking (e.g. Sky or People masks)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do! I just noticed that the same thing happens with masking. 

Say I use a radial grad to brighten a face and then subtract the background using the AI option. If I leave the photo and then go back to it, the radial grad is still there, but the AI subtraction from the mask is now gone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog file <catalog>.lrcat-data, where LR stores computed masks, is probably corrupted or not writeable for some reason, which has happened to a fair number of people in the last couple of years.  

1. Do Catalog Settings > General > Show, which will open Finder / File Explorer with the current catalog folder selected.

2. Exit LR.

3. In that folder, move the <catalog>.lrcat-data to your Desktop.

4. Restart LR.

5. In Library, select some of the affected photos and do the menu command Photo > Develop Settings > Update AI Settings. This will recompute the Generative Removes and AI masks.

Does the problem go away for those photos?  If so, then select all the photos in your catalog and do Update AI Settings -- it could take a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You. Are. An. Angel! Seems to have worked like a charm! Thank you so much 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is AMAZING. Nice job Adobe! Game changer in many ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble removing a dark rectangular area at the top left corner of an image.  Blue sky surrounds it.  It should be an easy task, but neither the new AI fill nor the older tools do a decent job of it.  Whether I select the entire rectangle or just a piece of it (with some surrounding sky included in either case), both remove and heal operations leave black patches in the sky an much of the leftmost portions of the image.   

A few times I have had the source area show up, but moving it does not solve the problem.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pacoh, please attach a full-resolution JPEG exported from the original (unmodified) photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

enhoying the generative ai so far. For some reason it doesn't remove completely black / darck objects though. Cannot figure out why. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works ok, but not well enough to replace PS, which ideally it should do.
A common issue I find is that the size of the brush will progressively get smaller with each click, despite me not touching the size slider or shortcut keys. Quite frustrating to then have to constantly re-size the brush with each click

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
4 hours ago 4 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@porterhouse_89 

The size of the brush reducing with each click of the mouse is a known bug.  It can be avoided by temporarily turning off Lens Correction and Transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
58m ago 58m ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@porterhouse_89, building on Ian's reply, that bug affects all the Remove modes (Remove, Heal, and Clone) and isn't specific to just Generative Remove:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-bugs/p-retouch-circle-automatically-becomes-smaller-on-ima...

The symptoms have been reported for a year, and it's not clear why Adobe hasn't prioritized a fix (they rarely comment on such things).  Please add your upvote and a constructive opinion to the bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
3m ago 3m ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My understanding is that the issue is also in Camera Raw and Lightroom Desktop, albeit not as obvious since they use different brush size scaling. The  actual fix needs to be made in Camera Raw. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
5 hours ago 5 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo,

nach meinen bisherigen Erfahrungen werden randständige Objekte, die nur unvollständig im Bild sind, oft nicht entfernt, sondern modifiziert, offenbar speziell, wenn sie mit kräftigen Farben einhergehen. Die Abwahl von "objektorientiert" erzeugt ähnliche Ergebnisse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines