• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1126 Replies 1126
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, just found out that this problem only appears to be on French and German keyboards. Mine is German.
"Option" + "shift" + "7" = "\"

Is there a way of changing this very intelligent and simple shortcut in the Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my MacAir-M2, the backslash key (\) is above the return key. Also on that key is the | key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it s a fantastic tool but it doesn t work anymore with AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working in Lightroom, but even worse is it is now not working in Photoshop either!!!!!!

FIX ASAP please!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just watched the Lightroom Summit video today how to use this. Updated LRC but no luck.  As soon as I select apply, an error screen comes up saying "Generative Remove Failed Something went wrong.  Please try again."  Is this happening to others?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Generative Remove tool worked great for about 3 of my images. Now I get an error message every time I hit the apply command. 
"Generative Remove Failed
Something went wrong. Please try again."
No error code. Does not make a difference what the source of the RAW file is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative remove failed , this error its been lately always on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy,  First time using the LR Generateive AI/Object aware  was today.  Overall I am impressed it was working OK and I like the results. 

However after using it about 5-6 times I was doing a simple remove of a flag pole and I am now getting  a"Generateive Remove Failed"  Somethign went wrong please try again.  I tried again,  same message, closed LR and reopened, same message.  I will have to reboot even though I REALLY don't want to wirh other things open.  sigh.  

More info:  It's not the usual "Out of RAM issue" I usually get in both LR and PS.  (REALLY doubtful with 128GB on board.)  Once I get that message My only choice is to reboot.  Yes I know Adobe will point to WIN 11 being the culprit and MS will point at Adobe.  And the user loses...  pet peeve sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More info.  Reboot did nothing.    Howevere I had the Object aware and the G-AI when it failed.  Turned off the Object aware.  Same message.  Turn off G-AI and turn on the Object aware and it works.  Really odd that the first 5-6  uses worked perfectly with both turned on.  I change photos to see if it was something in the photo that it didn't like.  Didn't matter, same results.  ...  well over to peopel smarter than I am to look at the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it does not work at all. It keeps saying something went wrong over and over. I was only trying to remove a person in the background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used it for sever days and this is the the responce I get.

Generative Remove Failed

Something went wrong

Please try again

I closed  Lightroom and also reboote my MacStudio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly Generative Remove stopped working. Now every time I try to use it, after I hit Apply, I ger an error message that says "Generative Remove Failed: Something went wrong, please try again." I get this same message even with the simplest object removal. Worked great for a few days, but now I only get this error message. Have tried the usual fixes (restarting LR, restarting computer, checking Internet connection, etc.), nothing works. It was a nice feature when it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working for me at all. I updated Photoshop and could previously use generative AI there, but now it is completely dysfunctional. I can't get ahold of anyone in customer service. I tried restarting my computer which did not work. I tried reverting to an older version of Photoshop and that did not work either. I'm extremely disappointed as I have a ton of work to do and I'm missing one of my essential tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an issue that everyone is going through,

don't worry they're currently fixing it right now. 

Hoping they get it up soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EL borrador Geberativo a fallado, por que?? tengo una macbook pro

m3 ?

por que pasa eso?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to remove a person in the background of an image, and Generative Remove failed on numerous attempts. The person in the background is out of focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have not gotten it to work yet after many tries. In different photos have selected people who are well isolated to remove, and get the message below each time.

Mac OS 14.1.1 on iMac.

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to tag on here, but I can't figure out how to start a thread myself =( 

The addition of the generative remove feature has messed up multiple functions of the plain old spot heal. I am pleased that it now almost always chooses the correct pixels to fix the spot, but when it chooses the wrong pixels, it is almost impossible to get it to allow me to move the brush to the correct pixels. It is also nearly impossible to see what the patch looks like, if I have "selected" enabled. Thanks for the work you are doing 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O.M.G. that is amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genial! Danke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed a coffee cup with a black and white cloth backgound and the replacement was good except for a blue color cast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the addition of generative remove to lightroom classic! Would love if I could enter a command, like photoshop's functionality for more finessing like removing flyways

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you are using it for screen output the resolution is terrible. Removing things from a 100 megapixel file doesn't give good results. Example photo from a 100% crop.resolution example.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated Lightroom Classic to 13.3 version and treid te generative remove tool. The AI removal tool works as a generative fill on my dell laptop. It inserts similar objects in my mask instead of removing them. If I go through the 3 variations I get three different but of a kind objects. Still a bug or did I miss some sort of setting inside the tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines