• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Generative Remove Feedback (Lr Classic & Lr Eco)

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Camera Raw feedback can be found here.

Generative Remove makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions with a simple gesture, even on complex backgrounds. For more accurate results, be sure to include the object's shadow in your selection and/or expand its size. 

Detect Objects uses AI to find the objects underneath a brushed area. The masked areas will now appear larger than the Early Access version of this feature. You can also circle objects for quicker selection now. 

We have also updated the spot selection experience to make it easier to manage variations, switch the fill type, refine the selection area, or re-generate as needed. 

Batch updating is also now supported for Generative Remove spots. 

Try out the latest updates and share your feedback with us here. Please also include the following details in your post: 
  • App version
  • System details
  • Example image(s) if you wish to share

Our team continually monitors this thread to track issues for future improvement. Thanks!

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Posted by:

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2024 Oct 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ciao, con l'aggiornamento build 14 lo strumento rimozione è ingestibile: anche un piccolo punto da rimuovere lascia aloni chiari. Il pc rimane bloccato alcuni secondi (core i7 32gb ram, geforce 1070). Anche senza usare la ia generativa il sistema rallenta vistosamente. Spero un una patch correttiva. Saluti.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2024 Oct 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

La nueva version de remover en Lightroom empeoro considerablemente, la version anterior daba resultados mas realistas y entendia que tenia q borrar un objeto o fondo, en la version actual en lugar de remover el objeto o el fondo, lo reemplaza por algo similar y con una calidad muy artificial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@luckbuch: "In the current version, instead of removing the object or background, it replaces it with something similar and with a very artificial quality."

See this article for how to remove objects more reliably:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

Most complaints about Remove are addressed in the article. But if it doesn't help, please attach a full-resolution JPEG exported from the unmodified original photo, so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. With nearly everyone who has posted a problem photo, we've been able to show how to quickly remove the desired objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same experience. Generative remove just replaces object with AI hallucination of same object. Then about every 3rd time, the app freezes and crashes. Needs an immediate fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chris_A4086: "Generative remove just replaces object with AI hallucination of same object."

Most complaints about Remove are addressed in the article. But if it doesn't help, please attach a full-resolution JPEG exported from the unmodified original photo, so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. With nearly everyone who has posted a problem photo, we've been able to show how to quickly remove the desired objects.

"Then about every 3rd time, the app freezes and crashes. Needs an immediate fix."

The hallucinations are unrelated to the crashes. LR's AI commands are very sensitive to bugs in graphics drivers. Try updating your graphics driver by going directly to the manufacturer's web site:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html#solution-4

(If you're on Mac, the only way to update your driver is to update to the most recent version of Mac OS, unfortunately.)

If that doesn't help, please start a new thread describing the symptoms. Do the menu command Help > System Info and include its entire contents in that post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC 14.0, MacOS 14.7

Tried to use the Remove Object with the new version and it just keeps trying to replace the object with something else similar.  What am I missing?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks.  I didn't know about including the shadow of the object in the selection.  That helped but it still wasn't as good as PS.  Nice to know if I can't get the result I want in LrC, I can go over to PS and probably get what I want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop remove tool worked flawlessly.  Maybe I just have to go into PS to remove objects? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No before this update it was working perfectly and I didnt have to go into photoshop. Now it's not working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephenbracc: "before this update it was working perfectly and I didnt have to go into photoshop. Now it's not working."

Please describe in more detail what's not working. Attaching a full-resolution JPEG exported from the unmodified original photo could help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not work. The old version would allow me to simply remove unwanted objects without trace. I have spent half an hour with the new version trying to remove a simple, unwanted bit of building from the edge of a picture. Regenerative AI keeps replacing it with something unwanted, heal keeps leaving a grey smuge. How can I get back to the old system that simply worked?

Peter Gill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree... this no longer works. The previous version was flawless and so easy to use. this is a huge bummer!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PAG: "trying to remove a simple, unwanted bit of building from the edge of a picture. Regenerative AI keeps replacing it with something unwanted,"

This usually happens when there are pixels beyond the edge that have been cropped out due to Crop, Transform, or Lens Corrections. So undo any of those you've applied and then do the Remove. 

See this article for more details:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rikk, great feature, kudos to the team. I found it actually very useful for my work (wedding photography). My feedback - for object detection I feel like the selection extension is too big. I wish there was option to scale it down, like a slider. In example below I don't want to AI generate part of Groom's back, so I had to manually substract. I wish there was more automatic detection of what's around.

I also explained that in this video: https://youtu.be/9CPouI7wG7A?si=dWfGqnZ0qtMXn5uY

Screenshot 2024-10-14 at 20.04.45.png

🧙‍♂️ my PRESETS + IMAGEN profile + NEW EDITING MASTERCLASS 2.0: https://geni.us/store-magic 👨‍💻 Get 1500 FREE Imagen Edits: https://geni.us/imagen-magic 📸 get my FLASH for WEDDINGS course: https://geni.us/flash-launch 🔥 🇮🇸 Iceland Retreat 2024 PROMO: https://geni.us/retreat-promo 🖼️ BEST ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Remove tool, edited other images, then returned to the first one and noticed "Some Remove tool settings need to be updated", I updated it, but after export nothing is removed in the image. What the hell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!! i have wasted the entire day trying to reedit a gallery taht was almost done and unless i update the masks and brushes and any AI edits and then export one by one.... it doesnt work! a total NIGHTMARE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening to me! I edited a ton of wedding photos- exported them to send to my client. Reviewd the gallery on pixiset before emailing to my client and noticed that all of the things I used generative ai on, didn't export. All the little cars, people, etc in backgrounds that I spent so much time editing out are there. I went back into lighroom and it's showing the same error of needing remove settings to be updated. Any solution anyone found?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected all the affected photos, turned on sync and did the update Lightroom said should be done. It obviously took a while, but did the trick. I would first try it on just a couple photos to see if it works for you and then do the whole batch. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a bug....
I'm experiencing a continual need to "update" the generative AI settings on images. The error message I get is "Some remove settings need to be updated". Not sure why though. This is happening on images I'm not even working on (or syncing to) and I'm doing nothing more advanced than working on images one by one then moving onto the next. However, some of those older images no longer show the remove when I click back on them and have to be updated.

Lightroom 14
Intel 13900K
RTX 4090
64GB Ram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The remove+generative AI failed to remove selected objects (humans): this tool changed the person position, the where he was looking , etc etc. No removal took effect frem that image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rivalg: "this tool changed the person position, the where he was looking , etc "

Most complaints about Remove replacing are addressed in the article. But if it doesn't help, please attach a full-resolution JPEG exported from the unmodified original photo, so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. With nearly everyone who has posted a problem photo, we've been able to show how to quickly remove the desired objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was really excited for this remove feature and it worked great ....but it did not SAVE or EXPORT the result  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines