• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1327 Replies 1327
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

j'ai le meme probleme . certaines fois ça marche et d'autres pas

certaines fois la personne est supprimée et à la place j'ai bien le fond d'image (pelouse) et d'autres fois non , comme vous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not bad. I like it. Removed an old man from a track meet I was photographing. Please ignore my wonky color correction on the right. 

Screenshot 2024-05-24 182724.pngScreenshot 2024-05-24 182649.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be nice to be able to complete images in a panorama for instance where often angles are to be cropped

It is possible in PS , why not as an option of panoramas in LRC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mac os

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

superb work by adobe 🙂 ..was eagerly w8ing for this update...it would be historical update is adobe provide gererative expand in Lightroom 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H I love this as I have a spot on my sensor and its easy to remove it with this, plus quick tidy up of the background

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2024 May 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe recommend that you continue to use the original heal tool for fixing sensor spots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour tout le monde,

Test effectué en voulant supprimer le canard colvert sur la photo jointe.
La suppression ne fonctionne ou alors remplace le canard par un poussin ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to select the entire duck plus any shadows, reflections or projections. Be generous with you selection/mask.

Assuming that it was the duck in the background that you wanted to remove. As such, I've attached an example of what I produced by first selecting the back duck, reflections, etc. I removed the wake either side of the front left duck separately. Don't worry about clipping the nect of the front left duck when selectings/masking the wake. Note that I used only Generative Ai Remove by leaving Object Aware unchecked.

duck.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bastante practico y saca de muchos apuros cada vez mas sorprendido

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the quality of the generative corrections. Two areas to improve. 1) Copying the designated marks to other pictures (very helpful if you have sensor dust 🙂 2) Speed of application of the masks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe recommend that you continue to use the original heal tool for fixing sensor spots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for Generative Remove - I've been waiting for this feature! The beta version is already working very accurately. As feedback, here are two observations:
(1)
If the object to be removed with Generative Remove is at the edge of the photo or is clipped by the edge, then the object actually to be removed is included in the generative calculation - which is not what is wanted. When calculating the new pixels, only those surrounding pixels should be taken into account that do not belong to the object that is cropped by the edge of the image.
(2)
Sometimes Generative Remove calculates new objects into the image area to be cleaned up, e.g. a house facade or a pile of stones. As a rule, these new elements fit into the image quite well - but: the new elements are inserted without being adjusted to the scaling and/or perspective of the original image. For example: the original image was photographed with a perspective from the top right, but the inserted pile of stones is shown in a frontal view and the size of the stones does not correspond to the size of the stones in the original photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, the main issue is that generated elements often don't match perfectly with the image in terms of noise level and texture. The same applies to generative fill in Photoshop.

It would be great to have an option in Lightroom to add an adjustable amount of noise to the generated elements to better blend them with the image. Alternatively, it would be ideal if the generated elements could automatically match the existing texture and noise level, eliminating the need for additional adjustments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cette nouvelle fonction n'est pas du tout au point,  aucune avancée pour ma part. Le trois fonctions précédentes , supprimer, corriger, dupliquer, étaient bien plus efficace. A faire évoluer impérativement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" not at all perfect"

Rather than leaving the Development team guessing as to the issue you're having, it would be helpful if you described or shared a before/after screenshot showing an example of where Generative Remove failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access)

it's not working properly on the bigger objects like human, it is not removing. it is getting replaced to something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the upgraded 13.3 in LrC and it seems the 'Object Aware' does not detect an object.  If I switch this off, the Gen AI can undertake a reasonable job, but with Object Aware switched on I keep getting an error message saying 'No object detected'.  The file attached is one example - I have also tried it on people, cars, and buildings - the same error is returned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I used the new generative remove some items from a few photo's in LR classic and thereafter imported my .nef and .xmp into LR cloud (generally used for remote access and back-up storage). However, in doing so, the generative remove edits made in LR classic did not transfer into LR cloud. Not sure what I could have done differently to maintain those............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing a similar behavior. I see the generative remove corrections in the cloud copy of the picture on my smartphone, but I cannot edit the picture with the LR app on the smartphone. I keep getting the error message, that the app is waiting on settings data from LR Classic.

My setup: LR Classic 13.3 on Mac Studio M1 with 14.5 Sonoma and LR App on a Samsung S23 Ultra. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One major improvement that would be extremely valuable - allow the generative remove to work at the edge of a photo after it has been adjusted using the transform tools, to fill in the white space that is left over.

This is an extremely common scenario for me where I have to go in to photoshop just to fill in a little sliver at the edge of the photo. Being able to do that in LR would be a huge time saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the new version of Lightroom classic (13.3, Windows), the removal tool does not work properly when the image is rotated (in all modes). When I mark a certain area, it selects a completely different area (usually on the opposite side).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gt376306699oyx,: "the removal tool does not work properly when the image is rotated (in all modes). When I mark a certain area, it selects a completely different area (usually on the opposite side)."

Please upvote this newly filed bug report and add your constructive me-too:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/remove-brush-strokes-appear-in-the-wrong-place...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2024 Jul 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using this tool first before ANY edits in a photograph works best. See if
that helps in the future.

--
Sent from Gmail in PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regretly the clone tool or other tools for poles isn't properly Schermafbeelding 2024-05-25 173516.pngworking as should , see att.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines