• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1149 Replies 1149
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The result of the generative remove tool appears to have ai denoise applied by default. Unless denoise is applied to the image before using the generative remove tool you get patches of denoised pixels which isnt ideal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is amazing. I was able to find a suitable generative fill but there was a faint trace of the old image still showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an incredibly useful tool!

But on two occasions, it insisted on drawing something unrelated into the deleted area: One time a dog onto an empty path, the other a hand (???) onto empty floorboards. Applying another layer of generative delete over the dog/hand solved it. Still, weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such great Promise - yay!  HOWEVER, still doesn't allow one to fill at the edges of the photo. Reproduce is simple. Use the "Guided Transform" tools to straighten image, which then creates "empty" corners. Try and of hte tools, AI included, to fill that corner - but sadly LR doesn't recognize the blank areas (ie, previously off canvas, now part of the canvas). Only way(?) is to go to photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super ze to narzędzie sie pojawiło w lightroom-ie ale jest u mnie błąd.

Wygenerowany obraz jest mało ostry. Jest jakby zamglony, w PS jest ostry.z LrCz LrCz PSz PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrzejv90126968  PS uses a different model in its Generative operations than this Lightroom release.  Differences are expected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ale fajnie by było jak by te obrazy wygenerowane były ostrzejsze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative Remove funktioniert nicht !!!

Lässt sich anwenden .... man wartet ... es passiert nichts ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ist bei mir genau so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding the AI is not removing and blending the background as expected - it is often trying to replace the object.  I wanted to remove a distant tree - it replaced it with a smaller one.   It was a pretty simple background.  as a test - I did the same thing in PS - typed remove and it did it perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great addition to LRC. No need to go back and forth to PS. Gresat job. Only started playing with it and will feedback if I get any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it doesen't work. 

After clicking 'generate' the status bar runs through but then stops at the end and nothing more happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just started to play with the Lightroom Classic updates. Like Photoshop, I would like to be able to see the generated variations without having to toggle thru them.

Thanks

Stu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very happy to see this tool in LR Classic! Unfortunately my first experience was not too good. I tried to remove an orange snack bag from a table scene, and no matter how many times I refreshed, it continued to give me different orange objects in place of the snack bag. I never got a variation which just showed the table with the bag removed, which is what I would hope a remove or erase tool would do. When using a tool to remove a distraction, I always want the distraction gone, not replaced with a different distraction. If I want something different, I'll go to Photoshop and type in what I want. It would be great if the remove feature focused on removing things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NicoleYM  That sounds like you aren't selecting the bag's cast shadow also. Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk,

> @NicoleYM
> <>
> That sounds like you aren't selecting the bag's cast shadow also. Is
> that possible?
I definitely selected both the shadow and the reflection. After I got
your message, I played around with the same image some more, each time
making a larger selection. Once I had a pretty enormous selection around
the object, it finally relented and removed it. But my selection was
vastly larger than any shadow or reflection. In my opinion, you should
be removing the object, whether or not a reflection/shadow has been
selected. I don't think a remove tool should ever create a brand new
object. If people aren't careful about including shadows and reflections
in their selection, that's an artistic (or amateur) choice they're
making. I personally always want the remove tool to remove.

Thanks!
Nicole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tool is quite amazing... not perfect but amazing. I have run into issues when using the tool to remove power lines with a blue sky background. But all in all a very welcome addition to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The replacement is very visible if tonal adjustments have already been made to the image ....... why can't the tonal adjustments also be applied to the patched area (or make that an option)? The content of the replacement is good, but because the lighting is different, it is very visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not what it appears to be. It's too long, and many times it doesn't work, so no, it's too bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, mes premiers essais sont désastreux. Probablement que je l'utilise mal J'ai tenté de supprimer une tasse clairement définie sur l'image et il l'a remplacé par je ne sais trop quoi, peut-être une partie du gâteau situé juste à côté. J'ai aussi tenté de supprimer un petit bocal et au lieu de le supprimer, il l'a remplacé par une autre tasse probablement trouvée dans une photo trouvé par IA.  Je continue mon expériementation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mes 2e essais sont presques pires. Je demande de supprimer un objet très bien défini dans la photo et il remplace l'objet par autre chose que IA semble avoir puisé dans ses photos alors que ce que je lui demande c'est de supprimer l'objet tracé au masque avec le pinceau. ??? Des conseils SVP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@photo2703  Make sure you are selecting cast shadows of the object you are removing, as well as reflections, and any discontinuous pieces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rebonjour, j'ai visionné des vidéos sur Youtube et j'ai remarqué que l'outil IA générative fonctionne bien sur de plus petits objets. Les premiers essais que j'ai faits portaient sur des objets qui prenaient plus de place dans l'image (environ 15-20%). Je viens d'essayer sur de plus petits objets et ça fonctionne bien. Ne pas oublier de mettre l'opacité à 100%. J'ai vu aussi un vidéo dans lequel la personne voulait supprimer la personne avec en arrière-plan un mur de briques et l'outil IA, au lieu supprimer la personne et la remplacer par des briques rouges, il changeait la personne par une autre personne alors que ce n'était vraiment pas le but qu'il recherchait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It´s not what it appears to be.It´s too slowly,and many times it doesn´t work,so no,it´s too bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God results with Generative Remove for removing 3/ 4 of the background , I have used the 5th variant- almoe perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines