• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1150 Replies 1150
Participant ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show me how?

_5110181.jpgScreenshot 2024-05-22 170602.pngScreenshot 2024-05-22 170724.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think part of the problem here is that the server is seeing the edges of this image before the fisheye correction is applied.

It performs better, ish, with the fisheye correction removed. But not what I would call "well." Maybe a satisfactory result after an hour or two of fiddling around.

I can sort of understand cropping being ignored by Remove, but I can't get on board with lens corrections being ignored, especially if I'm on Olympus.

One of the things with photographs of the night sky is that it has constellations, many of which are immediately recognizable even to the most casual of stargazers. So you can't just whip a huge brush over the powerline mess, as it will put stars where they don't belong. A missing star or two is no big deal but a made up sky is a non starter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bien meilleurs résultats que l'ancien correcteur de lightroom mais,  pour moi,  quand même en dessous du niveau de l'outil supprimer de Photshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excelente! Muy oportuno para mi!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, right after installing the new up date with AI, my lightroom started to freeze and I can't use object removal - I've never had it before - PS and LRC always worked correctly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selection of the healing process turns the display into a negative line drawing similar to what is used for dust removal.  Cannot use any of the healing function in LRc now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would seem like you have Visualize Spots enabled. Make sure that it is unchecked as shown in attached screenshot.

visualise spots off.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me: When I activate the Tool Overlay, the picture looks like a negative b/w drawing. Usually the Tool Overlay should turn the marked area into a red shadow. Or do I misunderstand this function and I'm lost in translation? O:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried selecting the sky - not using the sky mask, and replacing sharp but a bit hazy 80% cloudy sky, and all the suggested replacements provided very unsharp/out-of-focus clouds.

This also got me to thinking that it would be nice to be able to use the masking tool and Replace tool in combination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome new tool in Beta. Love that this has been added to Lightroom, as I seldom go to Photoshop with my current workflow.

Could you add the feature to fill edges of an image as it currently doesnt work with this tool and clone is the closest but doest work well with graduated backgrounds. I have a smaller studio and often the background isnt big enough and I have to fill these in.

The other tool request is generative expand in lightroom then I think it would be ideal for me.  

Keep up the awesome updates and improvemnts 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you know recently Adobe published a new version of Adobe Lightroom Mobile. As a photographer i find a chance to try new version of Lightroom on my iPad. I liked new AI remove feature by the way. But there is an issue regarding, maybe a bug. Sometimes Lightroom "transfroms" the object instead of removing it. For example i have a policeman in a pic and i tried to remove it but software changed it to another Chinese policeman. Funny, but harassing. Maybe a code fix can solve this.

Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure that you've selected the entire object you're trying to remove, along with a little bit of space around it and with its shadow. If you leave a bit behind, the AI tries to rebuild around it. For example, if you remove a bird but leave its shadow, you end up with a different bird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guessed something similar. Thank you for your contribution, i will check it out..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it everything literally what you said. Unfortunately, it makes it what i just said. Most of the time the tool is good. But, for some objects, it doesn't work properly..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, if you tap the Early Access button, you can send Adobe feedback along with the image so they can improve it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After posting i see that Adobe moved the checkbox from the bottom of the
screen to the repair menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ahve tried several times to remove people from an image only nto have generative remove generate altered images of the people instead of removing.  I did this on a cropped photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove first, crop later. If some of the person is hidden by the crop, Gen AI tries to rebuild based on those cropped pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genarative Füllung und Objektivunschärfe funtionieren bei mir nicht....LR 13.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good start but sometimes it adds elements as opposed to removing them  . For example, i wanted to remove a man and a woman from a photo as thr subject was huge tree instead of removing the couple teh AI engine replaced them  with a dog ...Even the variations contained animals ...if we could have a prompt like PS that would be great...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been mentioned above and included within the FAQ (link shared in first post at top of thread); you must select the entire component to be removed. This includes shadows, etc. It's also important that you apply any crop after using Generative Remove otherwise the area not visible to you may still have an influence the final result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often use generative AI in Photoshop to fill the edges of panoramic pictures, I stitched in Lightroom.
So for test reasons of the new feature, I took a complex sample with a floor and high ISO. But it's still the same as before: Lightroom does not reconize the "empty" edges as part of the image. 
So, I still have to switch to Photoshop where this is no issue...

STEINSART_0-1716382115315.png

p.s. btw: I often asked for an update on the panorama stitcher. I miss a function to move the centre of the picture, like you can do in 20 years old PTgui. Hope, that AI can help here soon, too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really good step into right direction 🙂
But with beta, performance is still bad. marking the area/object that should be filled is veery sloow.

Hope, this will be improved 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still testing it. The idea is simply brilliant. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really awesome feature!! I am working in real estate and in Lightroom i merge to hdr and i edit my pictures. I am still waiting Sky Replacement directly in Lightroom Classic, you do not have idea how much time i loose opening each photo in Photoshop to add sky replacement. Please come with a sky replacement and AI based sharpness, is much better than normal sharpness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines