• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1143 Replies 1143
New Here ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If possible please add GENERATIVE  AI  for crop too, just like PHOTOSHOP. 

It would be very helpful.

Very happy to use even the trial version.

Thank you ADOBE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative remove did a great job of removing tourists from my photos of Dead Vlei in Namibia. Even very early in the morning a lot of people hike out there to see the newly risen sun. Just because I want a clean photo with no people wandering around doesn't mean that they don't have the right and the capability to do so. Having this tool to remove them from my photo and create a sense of solitude in the image is wonderful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generative remove simply not working; period. Will allow selection of the item to be removed but on pressing Apply the item is highlighted but not removed!  Using late 2015 Apple Mac running Monterey version 12.7.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to completely remove tree branches from sky, not just give me different tree branches. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "community guidelines" are ridiculous. I am a people photographer, my main subject are women. Some are models which have signed all neccessary contracts, some are paying customers.

I can't even remove a tree in the background even if i have cropped the person out of the image.

Thats pure censorship.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here... I work in Boudoir/Dudoir-Genre and have these kinda troubles in Photoshop, when I wanted to remove a lamp in a shot. Good thing I know how to do it the oldfashioned way 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I don't understand the concept: why can't you just remove items you don't want instead of replacing them with whatever within a close range of the item?

Also, we used to be able to move the source around at will and resize the sample. For some reason that's not possible anymore.

Maybe i'm wrong...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Déjà plusieurs essais; c'est bluffant d'efficacité

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J'ai retouché une photo de portrait très endommagée (pliée) et le résultat est super 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

First try unseccessfull : I had 2 objects side by side in front of a wall with grooved tiles at an angle, I wanted to remove one of them : LR did it very well... but only to replace it with an other objet it created from scratch.  No way to have just the wall with it's grooved tiles and angle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First attempt: 0/10

I tried to remove a human in the background. It DID remove the human...by replacing it with THREE OTHER OPTIONS FOR DIFFERENT PEOPLE! Funny, but no. Remove =/= replace. I didn't want a weird looking dude in place of the person who was there.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good tool, but it doesnt seem tow ant to remove goalposts whicha re basically straight lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PERFEITOOOOOOOOOO TA MUITO BOA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the most part generative AI has saved me quite a bit of time with removal of distracting objects in images; however, I've noticed that when removing people from certain water scenes (ocean shore) and the people are in the water, the AI does effectively remove the people but leaves a ghost image of them with the generated area having a slightly different tonality from the rest of the water.

billm69_0-1716913476582.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you've used 'Generative Remove' on an image that already has an AI mask applied earlier. You can tell whether this is the case by checking for a red dot below the Masks button on toolbar. You can fix this by choosing the Update AI Masks option in the Develop module 'Settings' menu of directly within the Masks panel (see attached screenshot).

red dot mask.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor Implemention: In > 5 attempts, "Object Aware" + "Generative AI" in LrC could NOT remove a simple square framed colorful picture from a plain, medium bright (50%) white wall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kristi0237687832t5lc_0-1716914966755.png

I got this problem,how i fix it
PS: Internet connection is LAN and it is 1Gbps
Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work when the object to remove is at the border of the picture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain me more pls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is a link to video demonstration by Julieanne Kost of Adobe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkXDukmBNcg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your time to help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Echec de la suppression générative- Vérifiez votre connexion internet et réessayez ( alors que je suis en Wi-Fi avec la fibre )

Please help me 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it was a trial run for a reason... bring it back to the way it was. I personally don't like it and find it harder to remove simple objects/blemishes than before. It's like 10X harder to remove anything now... and it just keeps placing things with other objects that I DON'T WANT. Ridiculous- truly! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this tool!  I find it amazing that it has been implemented non-destructively, as I can envisage many issues to do this.

My understanding is there is a 2K resolution limit, and when you exceed this in a remove selection, the result looks a bit smushed.  This is unacceptable to me, and I would like to see a work-around.  At the least, a warning that this will happen.  Perhaps you could auto-tile the selection, and iterate through the tiles, building the final replacement pixels.  I expect this would take longer, but "slow and good" is better than "faster but smushy".

I would like to be able to have a "do not use" brush that can be used to identify elements not to be incorporated in the replacement.  For example, if the top 70% of a grass stalk is selected, and the user wants to retain the lower 30%, they need a way to tell LR not to extend the "cut-off" stalk.

I think this tool has to respect the history of prior adjustments, and the user should be able to continue to make further adjustment masks and generative deletions without paying attention to warning lights and rebuilding masks - I hope this can be automated.

Again, koodos to the engineers - this is an awesome beta!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No estoy teniendo una buena experiencia con él, parece que quiere crear objetoz en lugar de priorizar desaparecerlosoriginal.PNGprimer borrado.PNGSegundo borrado.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines