• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1112 Replies 1112
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely love this new feature as it saves me so much time. I don't have to bring every image into Photoshop anymore. However, I would like to be able to see the before and after from using Generative AI. Is there a way to do that? If so I haven't found it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@amy.elise.photography: "I would like to be able to see the before and after from using Generative AI"

With the mouse, click and hold down on the eyeball icon:

johnrellis_0-1718912005568.png

If you Alt/Opt Click on the eyeball, you can permanently toggle it on and off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am having error message saying that "Generative Remove Failed" please try it later, can anyone assist me thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have found that this can be caused by their computer Firewall. This video may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDsF6oTD5Q4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

La herramienta es muy útil. Me alegra no tener que cambiar a PS cada vez que tengo que eliminar algo. Únicamente diría que, al querer eliminar algo, a veces añade objetos en vez de borrar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MARIA JOSE38155999mz1r: "sometimes it adds objects instead of deleting".

See this article for how to more reliably remove objects:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keeps replacing people with other people instead of the background

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Strat27712050fqyn 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using Lightroom Classic.

OK when it works it's incredible but lots of time it replace the personne or the objet instead of eraising it... I don't understand why. I try differents settings but I have the same resulte... juste replace instead of eraise.

If someone could explain to me.

Thanks in advence for your tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@antoine1789 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this. Saves me time removing people but don't always work everytime. It is a great feature. Just like Ai in photoshop - don't always remove people/object everytime though, just replaces them but most of the time in my experience, it is great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nik Onthelook 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love how it manages in most cases to fix problems that even Photoshop would struggle with.

BUT. There are a lot of times when it generates extra grain that wasn't there in the original. Maybe this is to do with working on the ENR version? It is as if the new patch uses the grain from the original image?

Oh and of course - I would love for it to be FASTER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@waltoncreative: "There are a lot of times when it generates extra grain that wasn't there in the original. Maybe this is to do with working on the ENR version? It is as if the new patch uses the grain from the original image?"

It's not accessing the undenoised image. But there have been a number of examples here where it doesn't quite match the texture of the background replacement. Try including a much larger amount of background around the object being removed -- that often works for me to get better background matches. If that doesn't help, upload the DNG to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar, and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question...my understanding was that denoise should be one of the first steps in the workflow before diving into other adjustments...is that still ture?...should denoise be used before ai replace, or visa versa now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preferred order as recommended by Adobe is: Denoise - Heal (Including Gen Remove)- Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits.

The recommendation can be found in the last but one post by Rikk Flohr on this page https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/p-new-ai-powered-generative-remove-earl...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

want to start with LOVE this addition, this is the first time i am seeing this i'm Trying to remove a lump post and it's doing the job of removing the post but it seems to be leaving dark mark where the brush has beenScreenshot 2024-06-21 at 13.22.35.pngScreenshot 2024-06-21 at 13.23.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@okphotography: it's doing the job of removing the post but it seems to be leaving dark mark where the brush has been"

I've seen that sometimes too. I've found that if you include much more of the background in the selection, it often does a better job of matching the replacement:

johnrellis_0-1718987863993.png johnrellis_1-1718987902906.png

Note to others: The darker shadow is the shape of the selection, not the exact shape of the pole, and it occurs on the screenshot, so this is not being caused by a previously applied Sky mask that needs updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be amazing if the AI remove could reference other photos in the same catalog to fill more accurately. Here's an example where the generated fill from a truck going by is quite believable...except that it removed a recognizable bridge in the background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@heidid99034767: "an example where the generated fill from a truck going by is quite believable...except that it removed a recognizable bridge in the background. "

Can you attach a full-resolution JPEG corresponding to the original photo for the attachment AI1.PNG?  There's no truck on the bridge in AI2.PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom develop sliders ae sticky and do not return to the

original

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@belcamp george: "Lightroom develop sliders ae sticky and do not return to the

original"

If you're referring to the sliders in the Masking panel, click the option Reset Sliders Automatically:

johnrellis_0-1718986643862.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that was weird. it removed a person but replaced her with a totatally random other person

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@louloubell: "it removed a person but replaced her with a totatally random other person"

Most complaints about Remove are addressed in the article. But if it doesn't help, please attach the original photo here (not an export) so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. If the forum won't let you attach it, upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines