• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1153 Replies 1153
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2024 Jun 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I LOVE IT!!!! Im a newborn, baby and family photog and Im always dealing with drool and spit on stains on clothes and it is a great time saver!!! If you brush in in the direction of the pattern it works 100%. So far I have not had an issue. THANKS for this!!! If you do it in smaller sections its perfect. So far so good!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2024 Jun 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a full time photographer, I use Generative Remove for lighting corrections ( distracting shadows and spill )on set for live theatre. It works amazingly, saving me time and saving the the shot where everyone is perfect "except for the distracting "....  Not perfect yet, however, so much quicker and easier to make the correction in lightroom than exporting into Photoshop and the clone tool would take longer trying to find the matching pattern. angle etc.

An example is when the theatre black out blinds got bumped during a dress rehearsal and resulted in a light streak across the carpet in a drawing room scene...   AI matched the pattern in the carpet excellently.

LC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
5 hours ago 5 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did more tests with respect to the guidelines. I wanted to remove/replace something along the picture's border e.g. replace the white triangle (bottom-left) with the expected tent rope.

I imported the raws in LrC using a preset with lens corrections (default). Unchecking those wouldn't really help: LrC is replacing the content with a similar white item most of the time.

I imported the raw again and without any crop nor transformation, LrC is more likelly to replace the white triangle with some kind of tent rope. While there are examples on the picture to relate to, the results are weird most of the time.

Bug: In all of the cases, LrC won't initially select the whole selected area, espacially at the picture borders. I need to re-select part of it with the Mask Refinement brush.

ThierryH_1-1719838515427.png

Note: moving the Heal source, its content does not always appear in the destination. Heal and Clone do not always find similar content. Implementing Alt+Click (cfr. PS) might help?

ThierryH_2-1719838763946.png 

Tip: Like before, it helps to choose the better result and to use the (e.g. Remove) tool again, instead of clicking Refresh again.

Note: While the 1024 pixel limitation can be overcome in PS, this limitation can't be in Lr. It will only be useful in blurred and darkened areas.
It might be useful to have a Select Object button and a Remove/Replace switch to solve all of this post's related issues.

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
2 hours ago 2 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Currently very frustrated with the generative remove in Lightroom. 

I use it on a photo, go to the next and then when I go back to the one I used the generative remove on, it's not applied and is showing each spot as an error (with the exclamation point over each spot).

Has anyone had any issues with this? I've reset the preferences, changed the graphic driver preferences, and tried different computers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines