• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace

The recommended order for applying edits is:

1. Denoise 
  2. Heal (includes Generative AI Remove)
  3. Crop (includes traditional Cropping, Lens Correction, Transform, or any operation changing the geometry of the image)
  4. Edit
  5. AI Selective edits

If you deviate from that, you may see the removed object remain as a ghost image. If this occurs, you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1325 Replies 1325
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies, my English is rusty. 

I assume the difference is down to Lightroom being RAW and PS raster, which results in two different Generative Systems being used. In that case, I would understand the differences. I just wish Adobe wasn't in a position to have the tools abused because it hurts all of us. Save the children seems overblown in most instances, but I wouldn't hold it past people to misuse these kinds of tools for all ages. It's happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@colind66897557: "Adobe flagged an image of shirtless man on the beach as in violation of their content guidlines when I attempted to remove some objects using the generative remove."

I think it's clearly a bug that Generative Remove refuses to work with this image. I encourage you to submit a bug report here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373 

The more original images you can provide in the bug report along with screenshots showing exactly what you selected, the more likely Adobe will be able to reproduce the problem and act on it. In general, if the team can't easily reproduce the problem they won't pay much attention, unless many people report the same problems.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I access the correct page for a bug report there is no way for me to proceed to filling one. I am not sure if this is an issue with my system or if some kind of incompetence is keeping me from it, but I can't figure it out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@colind66897557 

A separate bug report is not necessary. Posting the image to this forum thread along with your information is sufficient. Individual bug reports for Early Access features are handled by posting here. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just going to use the Photoshop remove tool until the Lightroom remove tool evolves.  I'm checking out of this conversation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does one unsubscribe from this forum thread without unsubscribing from all Adobe communications?  I unchecked the box that says "Email me when someone replies" but that didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click "Unfollow" at the bottom of the top post. I've observed that it could take up to a day for that to take effect and sometimes it doesn't. (The forum platform leased by Adobe is mediocre at best.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, it was already set to unfollow but I'm still getting emails.  I don't recall clicking on it to follow.  I just checked the "Email me when someone replies" box.  I tried to upload a screenshot but no luck uploading.  It just stalled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that you can go to "manage your notification settings" and then to "Following".  Check the thread that you no longer want to follow and then click "--Unfollow".  That stops it from sending any more emails on that thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loving the feature so far. One issue I am having is removing railings. It seems to just replace it with similar railings, but I want the whole railing gone. You can see in the pictures below, masked in red is what I want removed. The second picture is what the generative fill comes up with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@Amy23951275i2q6: "It seems to just replace it with similar railings, but I want the whole railing gone"

This is an example of Big Brother Adobe not allowing you to show an oblivious, love-struck couple about to fall off a deck without railings. 😆 

More serously, after a lot of experimentation, I think this is an example of where you need to select all the disconnected pieces of the object and any shadows it casts. Otherwise, Remove will generate a replacement that matches the remaining pieces and shadows.  This tip appears in the FAQ at the top of this thread and in this more extensive article:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

In this case, you have to select all the railings and the subtle shadows they cast on the deck:

johnrellis_0-1720297270959.png

Also, I found good replacements by selecting all the water appearing between the railings.  Since I'm working with your screenshot, I can't tell how well this will work on the full photo. Also, be sure to undo any Crops, Lens Corrections, or Transform before applying Remove.

If you're still having trouble, please attach a full-resolution JPEG exported from the unmodified original photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amy23951275i2q6, also, select all the pieces of the railing and the parts of the deck with shadows with a single brush stroke. Then use Refine > Subtract and Add to deselect the couple. There's a bug in Remove where variations and refreshes only apply to the first brush stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI Remove isnt working for me     Im able to select and it gets shaded out    when I hit apply it does not disappear just adds a white line around it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gotr903: "Im able to select and it gets shaded out    when I hit apply it does not disappear just adds a white line around it?"

Set the Opacity slider to 100. Does that fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2024 Jul 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that was easy.  After giving up on Generative Remove (Lightroom Classic) when it insisted on replacing the person I was trying to remove with a  random person...different person every time I tried.  I read the recommendations posted here, found the original uncropped photo and...it worked like a charm. I have no suggestion about what to do but somehow there should be a warning/advice to those who don't know not to crop before trying to remove or they will be as frustrated as many of those posting here. 

The removal was rather tricky since it was a photo of two people standing rignt next to each other but I'm satisfied with the results.  and don't want to post since I do not have permission from either of those involved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@louloubell"somehow there should be a warning/advice to those who don't know not to crop before trying to remove or they will be as frustrated as many of those posting here."

Agreed. There are even more confusing situations that will silently crop pixels and confuse Remove, such as applying Lens Corrections or using one of many cameras for which LR automatically crops a 10 - 16 pixel border from the photo (that you can't stop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to use this tool to remove electrical poles with a cloudy backdrop, and I find that the filled area is consistently slightly off in terms of color/tone as compared to the background. This is true across all the variations. (I used the standard content removal tool for the power lines connecting to the pole, and it worked just fine.)

Ben38474280lm19_0-1720410288254.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@Ben38474280lm19: "remove electrical poles with a cloudy backdrop, and I find that the filled area is consistently slightly off in terms of color/tone as compared to the background."

I encountered similar suboptimal results a while ago, and I ended up not using Object Aware selection, but instead making a raggedy selection significantly wider than the poles:

johnrellis_0-1720415766410.png

johnrellis_1-1720415798476.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to have a "photoshop work" that I would outsource - that is no longer necessary!  Amazing! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fréquemment, la suppression générative de Lightroom remplace l'objet que je veux supprimer par un objet différent mais semblable, au lieu de le supprimer. Par exemple cela remplace une automobile par une autre automobile.

Ce n'est pas ce que j'en attends.  Qu'une "IA" invente un sujet, un objet ou que sais-je ne m'intéresse pas.  Par contre, qu'elle soit capable de reconstituer l'arrière plan qui se trouve derrière l'objet que je veux supprimer, ça, c'est véritablement intelligent., et cela m'aiderait beaucoup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultoqq64s6tqtvx: "Often, Lightroom's generative deletion  replaces the object I want to delete with a different but similar object"

See this article for how to remove objects more reliably:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

Most complaints about Remove are addressed in the article. But if it doesn't help, please attach a full-resolution JPEG exported from the unmodified original photo, so we and Adobe can see the issue in detail. With nearly everyone who has posted a problem photo, we've been able to show how to remove the desired objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use the AI removal tool of LR on an object in front of a flat, less structured background such as a beach or a house wall, you will get artifacts with brighter areas that roughly correspond to the previous outlines. This does not occur with PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tobias38488938y8jo, please attach a full-resolution JPEG exported from the original, unmodified photo and call out which objects you're removing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

funziona.  Quasi impressionante.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - late to this forum and this might have been covered. Bit surprised at this result but might be outside the scope of the functionality. Attempted to remove power pole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines