• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Generative Remove (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products.
Post Camera Raw feedback here

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look at Generative Remove, which makes it easier to remove unwanted objects and distractions, even on complex backgrounds, with a simple brush stroke. Generative Remove is powered by Firefly AI.

How to use Generative Remove on a desktop:

• You can find Generative Remove under the newly renamed Remove panel (aka “Heal”).
  • Make sure the “generative AI” checkbox is enabled before you start brushing (note: when unchecked, Lightroom will use Content-Aware Remove to fill your brushed spots). 
  • By default, you will be given a moment to refine your selection with an add or subtract brush. Remember to include shadows for a more accurate result! You can also skip this step by holding down ‘CTRL’ on windows or ‘CMD’ on mac as you finish your brush stroke. 
  • Once you’re ready to apply and have accepted the terms, Generative Remove will use Firefly AI to remove your distractions and intelligently fill in the space that’s left by the removed objects. 
  • Note: stable internet connection is required to use this feature.
  • Generative Remove also lets you choose from multiple variations, so you can pick the one you like best, giving you full creative control. 

Checkout the FAQ and Best Practices

Please give it a try and share feedback and/or report variations in this community forum. It would greatly help to include details like which app you are using (i.e., Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw) and other system details. Our team will continually monitor this thread to track issues to improve the future experience.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager
Posted by: Rikk Flohr 

Update:
Here are some tips if you are having issues with the feature replacing your object instead of removing it. 
  • Enlarge your selection - if your brush stroke is too tight, you will have unexpected results.
  • Remember that removing an object means painting over it, its shadow, its reflection, and any non-contiguous pieces. If you leave behind a shadow, a reflection, or a disconnected piece (e.g., a hand on a shoulder), the AI will attempt to create something to cast the shadow, reflect, or complete the unbrushed discontinuous item. You can avoid these issue by following the guidance provided in this linked tutorial. https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace
  • The recommended order for applying is: Denoise - Heal (includes Generative AI Remove) - Crop/Edit - AI Selective edits. If you deviate from that you may see the removed object remains as a ghost image. If this occurs you will have to use Update AI Settings, which can be found under the Develop module 'Settings' menu.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1148 Replies 1148
New Here ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Esta increible, deja de ser necesario salir del LR e ir a PS para borrar cosas indeseadas en las fotografias! ( el famoso tripie de luz ) Gracias! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the feature, but the remove doesn't always remove.  It just replaces with some other object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had luck with it actually removing anything either. It replaces a trash can with a slightly different trash can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chuckw19823004@tvandoren6 , see this article for tips on removing objects instead of replacing them:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/generative-remove-replace/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John - that might be the issue. The things that didn't get removed were at the edge of the photo. Photoshop handled it with zero problem, so I would have expected Lightroom to do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. When it works, it's great. But I'm trying to remove a car, and all I get are other cars to replace it. 😞

Win 10 on NUC w/Intel I-7, 32G RAM, M2 SSD, Current Lr & Ps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Vic-86 

If the AI model is replacing instead of removing, then it's very likely that you've not fully selected/masked the item to be removed. Shadows, reflections and projections not included in your selection/mask will also cause the AI model to replace.

You can see how to avoid this in the below linked tutorial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, have experienced difficultry removing people. Firefly wants to replace the people I'm trying to remove with different people.  I've been having better luck removing objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robertg59245837, did you try the techniques in the article linked above about how to remove rather than replace?  If they don't help, please attach the original photo (not an export or screenshot) here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same issue .. SOmetimes it removes, other times it just replaces with another object ( or person ) . No clue why .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Haphog 

If the AI model is replacing instead of removing, then it's very likely that you've not fully selected/masked the item to be removed. Shadows, reflections and projections not included in your selection/mask will also cause the AI model to replace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes , read tutorial and it was helpful .. removing prior to cropping ws the trick.. Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
3 hours ago 3 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly!   Sometimes it works amazingly well.  But I just now had this situation:

- photo of old Model 'A' Ford at a car show - front view with side-mounted spare tires/wheel

- exhibitor had placed a Teddy bear on the running board leaning on the spare wheel

- I selected the Teddy bear using Generative Remove and the Teddy bear was replaced by am image of a young boy.  I have no idea with the kid's image came from! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
2 hours ago 2 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Harv25727449l7y4 

Typically, the model will use replace when the object and any shadows, projections or reflections have not been fullly selected/masked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brutal!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love how it removed spots, but yesterday the spot removal no longer is removing to bug in my images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Remoção Gerativa também permite que você escolha entre várias variações, porem nao permite ainda que voce diga o que deseja , fiz um teste e ele me trouxe muitas variações mas nenhuma delas estava a contento.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great start! I love the addition of this tool to LRCC 13.3 - amazing that Adobe was able to slap this technology onto RAW files. 

The first improvement that I see could be made is a feathering option for the selection. The transitions under light fall-off are still quite hard-edged and noticeable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better seams and outlines is something we are working on.

Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet!

Doesn't work to start by defining an area with Clone tool, switch the already applied retouching to Remove and then turn on the Generative AI checkbox. It presents the usual progress bar, but does not produce a generative result. (LRC on M3 Macbook Pro running Sonoma on HEIC panorama from an iphone)

Would love to see you allow us to use it to fill the empty/white areas at the edge of an image after appling Transform features such as upright, but it currently can only work within the original image area.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, started using Generative remove today.  I had taken a series of images and found that the sensor on a camera, not often used had been fungussed!? It was a great day and was disappointed that all the images were wasted. However, I found that Generative Remove has cut the work down in this instance quite dramatically, and saved the day, but it still onerous. Luckily the areas affected are block colour but in the more detailed areas I found that I needed to use a much smaller cursor size, but it worked, after a fashion. 

Adjustable Feathering the cursor might help. I also had a glitch (hockey-stick glitch) every so often (pictures attached) which I could not explain - just went to undo and waited a few seconds.  In addition, would it be possible to save the actions of Generative Remove as a mask that could be used on the other imagesof the same batch? Thats all. Thanks

Dash.PNGEffect.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Generative Remove for spot removal is not recomended as it is much slower than using the standard heal tool.

Please refer to the FAQ provided by Adobe for guidance on whcih of the Remove tools is bested suited to particular tasks.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/using/generative-remove-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, solo queria saber si esto consume creditos firefly porque parece que cada vez que lo uso en lightroom esta consumiendo. es correcto? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines