• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blurā€“giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give us an option where this works as fast as my phone. Right now everything takes too mich time to see what's working and what's not. Simplify the processing so I can make big swings and see apprximate results, then dial in the real processing when I think I have it in the ballpark. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put the slider under bokeh to zero. But there are these Bokeh rings anyway. How do I stop this if I do not want bokeh rings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using lens blur, my PC crashes

Device name DESKTOP-OSMONJ
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz 2.67 GHz
Installed RAM 22.0 GB
Device ID 2F1535AB-1ACC-4CE4-83D2-13E87DD967DC
Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA429
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen support

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ā€Ž29/ā€Ž09/ā€Ž2022
OS build 19045.3570
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19052.1000.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not show the make of the GPU. Please share your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info... 

Please follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following workaround method as a last resort. The method provides a mechanism to allow LrDesktop/LrClassic/ACR customers to force the ML inference to always run on CPU instead of default. See details here https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html#lens-blur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works well with animals, especially birds I find. It gives a very realistic bokeh effect. seperates the birds from the background very well giving the image a great look. I need to play with it more to fine tune, but the instant results are excellent. well done Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good result instantly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add lend blur option to only masked areas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadley the lens blur doesnt work on my system keeps saying error 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is good to have control on the focal length and aperture measures in applying this. Is it possible to include that kind of information. At the same time I am looking for a way to crop an image based on the focal length, I did not fina that facility so fa in photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some sort of progress indicator woud be appropriate in Bridge RAW processing when firing up the Lens Blur function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see a progress spinner on the top right corner of the lens blur panel in ACR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get quite poor masking around hair - here's an example (I've also included the underlying image without the depth map show you can see what I mean)

tompagenet_0-1697984491183.png

tompagenet_1-1697984545336.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely phenominal.  Love it.  Adds something extra to photos that were lacking depth, or that had to be shot with short lenses or small apertures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slow and clunky. Lr stops responding all the time when I use Lens Blur. It works just fine otherwise. The internal mask, which the user cannot adjust, is very inaccurate leaving photos with focused edges that have to be painted in by hand. Nice first start but needs a lot of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a resource hog. I've got a workstation that can easily handle multi-gig files in LR and PS and lens blur is really taking time to render the effect. The image is a bit complicated so maybe that can be the blame for now.

fall leaves.jpg

ā€ƒ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This background blur too is just amazing. Great work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sarebbe bello avere traccia di quello che si e fatto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using LrClassic, there is the HIstory panel on the left that records each step of your edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find that the feathuring is not adequate. Would prefer to some more subtlety in the transition from focus to OoF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The auto mask had trouble with shiny objects.  For example the round external mirrors on an old Jaguar (below) or the radio antenna on a 60's Cadillac were incorrectly blurred.  Manual correction worked well.  To be fair the automask to "select background" had the same issues.  Great tool overall!  I'm loving it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am happy about this new function, which I first applied to people. It still needs a bit of tweaking, which the focus brush offers, but it's a joy. Until now, I have always placed a soft-focused photo on a new layer over a sharp photo and manually cleared the area to be focused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is a way to subtract the subject or a brush to subtract an area that would be great. The blur caught their hands a few times for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Expand the Refine collapsible widge to play with the focus/blur brush. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

La sfocatura in se sembra fantastica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines