• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far this is an amazing feature and tool! I have been wanting a way to blur certain things in my photos! I am currently trying it out and the only suggestion I have so far is maybe having it so you can create a mask of certain objects or people and just click "blur" and it will blur the selected objects/people in that mask. Because some of my sports photos have more than the main player in focus but I would like to blur them and creating that mask and being able to do it with a couple clicks would be awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love the concept and the versitility of the new image blur feature in Lightroom. The ammount of lens blur and distances I can choose where the blur begins and how gradual I want it is great.  Having said that, I feel that the algorythms that figure out all the distances of the image elements of a busy picture is just not up to par yet.  Some items that are closer in my pics are blurred out more than further objects in my pics.  I tried using the brush tools to add the extra blur to areas that needed it unsuccesfully.  For a first start its not horrible but it needs work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time using it absolutely love it. Very easy to use made the picture even better after photoshopping some motion blur. The Blur tool in Lightroom made it stand out and look more of a realistic motion blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very good feature . But i can't sync the lense blur feature. hope you can send a update for it . which will make my work flow fast and easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

je ne sais ps si un reglage ponctuel (pinceau ?)du flou peut etre utilisé afin d affiner le flou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oui. Développez le widget pliable Affiner dans l’interface utilisateur du flou d’objectif pour jouer avec le pinceau de mise au point/flou. Découvrez la jolie vidéo tutorielle de Julieanne.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the AI Lens Blur.  So far so good.  No problem on the iMAC running with Ventura.  I also would like to see an indication on which photo has the Blur.  I just began using it so if I encounter any problem I'll report it.  Nice feature.  Like the HDR as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great potential. I love being able to blur the background. So far I see a problem with fur/hair not being integrated nicely into the blur giving it a cut out look. I would have liked to see a brush to soften the edges to avoid this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one. Expand the Refine collapsible widget in the lens blur UI to play with the focus/blur brush. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used it a couple of times, and by no means understanding all of the details, but I just applied it to my image of a flock of birds flying over water and thought the blur was great, but looked closer and realized half of the birds had lost their beaks. I will keep playing and assume I just need to find the right focal range or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So nice! Very happy to use that new settings. I can play with my already existing blur to densify it. 
Just some elements are not (in realitty) on the same plan, but Lr see them on the same plan (see the orange tree on my pic). Maybe a brush for quick retouch can be useful to get more precise settings, but I love it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can add a "feather edge" feature when adding a lot of blur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I strongly wish there was a brush tool for this lens.  More times than many, when gathering data and adding the bokeh behind the assumed subject, it will add more subjects...that aren't meant to be subjects.  The bokeh is beautiful though, and love the "boost" slider, but I will also add that again like many times than most I find myself adjusting the slider to a very low amount because it will OVER blur the edge lines of my subject to look fake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand the Refine collapsible widget in the lens blur UI to play with the focus/blur brush. Checkout Julieanne's nice tutorial video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Só da erro essa função de desfoque de lente, nunca de certo pelo PC só pleo celular 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consulte a resposta fixada no topo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite an amazing feature. So far, I like it very much and I no complaints so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shopping trolleys caused difficulties, the area visible behind the shopping trolleys is not blurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite intuitive and easy to use. The focus brush is a great feature to refine parts of the image that should or shouldn't be in focus, although it would be better if the applied brush strokes remain when re-opening the feature to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have any problems, it's great ❤️ I love it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens Blur works well for most photos, however, when the background is cluttered, it struggles to find the subject.  I would like to see the ability to apply Lens Blur to a Background Mask.  The Masking tools can then be used to refine the where in the image the blur is applied.  In the case of this photo, the Flyer and the people behind the Flyer's base.

Z9N_1879.jpg

to isolate the subject.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting your focus point right in the centerline of the girls in that
pyramid. That might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a good concept and have tried it on several pictures. It works best on less intricate pictures. Block subjects with deep backgrounds for instance. Adjusting the masking is slow on my machince (i7 Windoes with GTX, all drivers updated) and not 100% effective on the edges. In many cases, I get equal or better results using negative texture and clarity on intricate images.

As I mentioned in my first post, I feel like it would be much better if we could mask first (select subject or focus object) then apply the algorithm to the 1. Foreground (if any) and the 2. Background (if any). My approach to blur is usually 4 items, subject, near subject, foreground and background. It is usually very easy to mask these separately, and something I may do for brightness or color correction anyway. If I could then apply the blur as desired to these masks, it would make this much more useable and efficient for me.

As for masks in general, will we ever be able to add or subtract a named mask in a newly created mask? Currently the inverse of a mask is not 100% accurate, and the combination of object and brush adjustments in the initial seems to affect the inverse.

I appreciate the work involved to develop this new feature. Keep up the good work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am LOVING this feature 🙂 adds that extra magic! please bring this to the new update 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is a great addition to Lightroom.  I have used it on a number of images I shot while covering SEMA and the results are very effective and similar to what would have been achieved using a narrow field of focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines