• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

need to add mask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's brilliant!  Super fast lenses are way to expensive anyway 🙂
However, in one image of a bird on a branch whith a nearby twig, all in focus but a little soft, when applying Lens Blur, a small section of the twig was blured.  Easily fixed with Focus/Blur but it was hard not to leave artifacts.  Anyway, the curious thing was that this happened only when Lens Blur is applied either before or after Denoising the image.  It did not happen when adding Lens Blur to the standard image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant follow very detailed objekts in nature photography.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK . this is pretty good right out of the box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ich finde diese Funktion sehr nützlich!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I LOVE this new feature in Lightroom - So Useful!! - please add to Photoshop too!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a quick test on an image and love the results. I love the inclusion of the depth map preview as it was super useful to spot refine some edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried it a few times now.  1st time it 100% missed the subject and blurred too much.

2nd time was more sucessful but it gave the image a very hard edge on a horizontal that didnt look remotely natural

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im sorry to say I am unable to try this as it is unresponsive on my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shutterbug2, "Im sorry to say I am unable to try this as it is unresponsive on my laptop."

It may be an issue with your graphics processor or its driver. Please do the LR menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire contents here so we can see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running and important LR options that are set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wide line around the sculpture against a dark sky. Yikes! First try. Not good. I have tried adjusting. Some improvement but not helpful on this photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first quick-look: so far so good. Very useful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great feature! Should add a select subject/ brush option so you can pick what can be deselected 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

amazing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lens blur feature looks AMAZING. Two draw back for me is 1. it's not syncing to other images unless I am doing something wrong. 2. It bogs my comptuter down like CRAZY.  None of the other AI feature are doing this but as soon as I check the lens blur box my computer freaks out and has even restarted a few times. Not sure what's happening with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with mine. Have an i9 machine. Plenty of RAM. If you look at task manager you will see 100% RAM and processor use when you activate Lens Blur.

My NVIDIA graphics card has the latest update. Purged the cache.

As soon as I uncheck it LR back to normal.

Just not usable as part of my workflow.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! I did the same thing. I think it looks good though but it takes
about 2-3 minutes for just one image before my computer calms down!

--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@garyd03 and @ChelseaBeckPhoto, please do the LR menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the entire contents here so Adobe can see exactly which versions of hardware and software LR thinks you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incredible!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just needs improvement on masking the subjects to keep in focus and blurs the rest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a specific "reset" button hear and and easier way to adjust or touch areas of primary or least focus. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@Clayok,"You need a specific "reset" button here..."

The Lens Blur panel is like the other panels -- hold down Alt / Opt and you'll see the Reset button for that panel:

johnrellis_0-1697755783865.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be VERY cool to add the option to create a mask from the depth info. Then it'd be perfect 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly pretty amazing for a first go! I really like the Refine brush - works great. Hair is understandably tricky yet, but I'm super excited to see how this evolves!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines