• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New AI-powered Lens Blur (Early Access) available across all surfaces.

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post applies to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic & the Lightroom Ecosystem products.

The Lightroom team is sharing an early look for AI-powered Lens Blur–giving you the ability to apply optical blur on any image regardless of how it was taken. Lens Blur is now available to try on all Lightroom surfaces.

How does Lens Blur work?
  • Lens blur applies a depth-based blur effect, similar to what can be achieved with real-world optical lenses, by using AI-generated or device-captured depth data (when available).
  • Lens blur will automatically prioritize focus for the detected subject, but you can also interactively adjust the focus distance. Precise focus range tuning is also available (currently desktop only: Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Classic, and Camera Raw).
  • You can also further customize the Bokeh shapes, highlight Boost (desktop only), and make depth map refinements (desktop only).

Will my Lens Blur adjustments on one surface be synced to other surfaces? I.e. mobile to web to desktop, and vice versa?
  • Yes, all edits will sync. To revert settings, you can go back to previous versions or history steps, or un-apply Lens Blur settings.

Can I add Lens Blur settings to my presets?
  • No, presets and copy + paste workflows are not currently enabled for Lens Blur during Early Access.

For more information, please check out Lens Blur. 

Please give it a try and share feedback in this thread as we continually improve this feature.

Lisa Ngo: Lightroom Product Manager

Current Popular Lens Blur Feature Requests:

Stop by and give them a vote if they're of interest to you!

Posted by: 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Please report your system info via Lightroom>Help>System Info...

If you encounter GPU driver issues while using ML features in LrClassic/LrD/ACR, please try to update to the latest macOS version or if you are on a Windows machine, follow https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html to update your machine to the latest GPU driver and  see if the problem resolves itself.

If the OS or the driver is not available or possible and the problem persists, then try the following

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1965 Replies 1965
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I've been waiting for a feature like this for years!
I just used it for the first time and I love how intuitive and customizable it is! I Just tried refining the blur to make it tighter to the subject and then lightroom intuitively applied that to the rest of the subject! 
Amazing. Thank you.

I do agree with everyone else that it would be amazing to see in the filmstrip which photos this has been applied to as well as add noise option and custom bokeh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
how do I open a new topic relating to the new Early Access AI powered Lens Blur?

Photovit

Expert in Senior training on LRC & Photoshop>Tovit Lore<br />Expert in Senior training on LRC & Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried using the Lens Blur feature on a "Fine Art" shot to blur the background.  The blur feature seemed to work as expected, I would, however, like to see a custom Bokeh feature added along with the the capability to add noise for a more vintage and realistic look.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lens blur straight out of box did an amazing job where I had a close detailed background to blur behind a bird - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally its great! I'd like it if it could also be part of the masking tools. So you could more easily blur foreground and background

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would add a brush option to manually add precision to the selection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Negative spaces (e.g., the interior spaces of loops of rope or spaces between branches that optically intersect) that reveal distant background elements should have blur applied but are often erroneously excluded from the effect.  The process treats them as if they were part of the foreground subject.  It's a decent first pass but making revisions to scope of application easier for the user rather than making the AI better might help to get the function market-ready.  Welcome enhancements to the AI could follow and be well received. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no funciona, ponga la foto que pone me sale el mismo cartel de error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need a ''Done'' button so i can come back to my mouse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get it to work. I get the error message "Something went wrong. There was an error and your request could not be completed"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El sistema me parece muy bueno, pero ralentiza muchísimo el ordenador y cualquier modificación tarda bastantre. Además cuando realiza la acción la pantalla se vuelve negra y que conste que tengo un PC de hace un año, con requisitos que superan los recomendados.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm enjoying the Lens Blur tools. Quickly, easily, and mostly intuitively achieve great results!

A couple of things I thought would be nice to have as I used the tool.

1. I'd like to have an Eye Dropper to pick varying blur settings so that new painted areas will match.
  2. The ability to adjust the blur amount of all areas falling in the same blur depth. Maybe along the Depth range values could be a curves handle.
  3. I like that after you paint Depth you can adjust the blur amount, but the ability goes away when switching over to a different control such as Focus or if toggling the Lens Blur effect off, etc. Maybe similar to having multiple masks, I'd like to be able to retain a painted section to be able to adjust its blur level later without re-painting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good tools but low performance.  Hope Adobe can improve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the new system, it works well and gives photos even more quality. One thing I did notice is that Lightroom will sometimes freeze when the Lens Blur is applied. It could take up to a minute for it to work again. Aside from that, it works flawless in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works well...

2 requests:

1. Need to be able to mask the selection.

2. Need to be able to feather the mask edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I LOVE this new Lens Blur feature......PLEASE keep improving it!  It can be a game changer.  Here is how I will experiment with it.  If I can't use an F2.8 to get nice blur then maybe this feature will give that nice blur when using an f4 or 5.6??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
This is a fantastic feature and it delivers as promised. However, there is much more that needs to be fulfilled to make it a great tool. For instance, When you use blur and review the image, you will find circles in certain parts of the photo, the bubble works better than the blur. In effect, despite the AI doing a phenomenal job of blurring the background and capturing the subject, we will still need to go Pixel by pixel to check if certain blurred out areas look artificial due to this effect. This seems to be an issue with Bokeh and bubble settings. Maybe its just me who is facing it but a lot of manual effort still needs to be undertaken to reverse the errors that blur causes and that would mean cleaning up a significant area to match the smoothness to remove the area where fringes appear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love this for portraits and to get that beautiful bokeh in the background.  As some others have said, it would be nice to have control and mask out or make sure you select what you want to stay in focus.  On some images, the system couldn't figure out what the subject was.  I had a picture of a deer with a lot of foliage and it blurred out the foliage in the right corner only.  So far, I love it.  Needs a few tweaks though 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed it and someone pointed it out to me - there's a refine option immediately under the focal range. In it are two masks - focus and blur. You can use it for some of the changes you might want to make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love this option. It has great promise. There doesn't seem to be a smooth transition between depth of field blur. It appears that sections are cut and have a definite distinction for each object. Also, Lightroom seems to lag more than the program in Photoshop beta—just my experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Game changer, but noticed after I did about 15 pics it wont allow me to use. Is this because its a "early access" ? Need to finish editing a group and it wont let me blur the backs of some of the latter shots

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a memory problem. Restart the computer and try not to have any
other programs running while using Lightroom/Photoshop. It may help.

--
Sent from Gmail in PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it was the distance of the photo! Seems to be working 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola. No me funciona el desenfoque de lente en Lightroom Classic 13.1 me dice : Ha occurido un error inesperado. Necesito ayuda x favor.  Gracias.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked great and as I had hoped. No system issues and my subject stayed tack sharp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines