• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unable to locate Local Adjustment Tools (Brush, Gradient, Radial)?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased a new laptop (ThinkPad) after my old one (Lenovo) crashed.  I just purchased the Lightroom Classic for my new one and cannot find the effects brushes for warm skin, teeth and eye whitening, iris enhancement, etc.  I was told these were standard in LRC but I cannot find them.  I think I remember buying them as a package from Cole's Classroom that contained these but I cannot find them on their website to download them again.  (I've asked on a group support page - as Cole's doesn't have email assistance available, according to their website - but can't figure it out.)  Any advice on how to get these effects brushes, would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thank you so much.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Hello Heidi,

Effects brushes are just presents for the local adjustment brush, and the default Lightroom Classic configuration does indeed include the presets you are seeking. To see them, you must (1) choose the local adjustment brush, then (2) click the dropdown for "Effect," and then (3) choose the preset you want:

2021-10-25_11-24-15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Hi,  

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic. We are here to help!  

Local adjustment tools or target adjustment tools have been consolidated in to the masking tool.

Masking was introduced with the release of Adobe Lightroom Classic 2022 (11.0 & later), which consolidates and offers you a variety of local adjustment tools in an organized panel. Check this video to learn more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asDvkAEZmLY

Please check here for instructi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Heidi,

Effects brushes are just presents for the local adjustment brush, and the default Lightroom Classic configuration does indeed include the presets you are seeking. To see them, you must (1) choose the local adjustment brush, then (2) click the dropdown for "Effect," and then (3) choose the preset you want:

2021-10-25_11-24-15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your picture of the location of items.  I have gotten used to those new features.  What is troubling me is when I select my brush tool, none of my brushes that I have used in previous versions are available.  I am not sure how to get them back and am disappointed that I am unable to access what I have spent money on.  Any insight you might have is very much appreciated.  Thanks, Beth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that the Preference to [Store Presets with Catalog] has changed? 

Where did you store the Brush Presets previously? Check that first.

FILE LOCATIONS

Were they specifically 'Brush' presets? or 'Develop' presets?

Do you have copies of the Brush .LRTEMPLATE files, that you purchased, backed up somewhere?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for getting back to me! That is exactly what happened. I
guess when I saved my catalog, it did not save in the original catalog -
which I don't get why it didn't...Today for the heck of it, I opened a
previous catalog and the brushes are all there.
I always back up my purchases with an external drive - takes one time to
learn the hard way!
I Appreciate you taking the time to provide guidance! Beth

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see all the included adjustment brushes, I recently installed cutom brushes and they are not showing up at all. I double and triple checked the installment procedure and did it correctly. HELP!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are gone with the new update. It's terrible 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Great!  🙂 And NOT gone!

Read and learn about the updates -

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new/2022.html#masking

And Brush is still available with keyboard [K]. Linear Gradient [M]

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default6p2jrig13uob wrote:

They are gone with the new update. It's terrible 😞

Not gone, not terrible. Helps to actually RTFM when so many new features are provided instead of assuming they are the same or worse, they are gone. 

Here's the actual solution: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/masking.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/masking.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom Classic  on my Macbook Pro and have installed som preset brushes, but I don't have the brush icon under the histogram.  I can hit K and I get a mask menu, but I have a yellow warning next to brushes.  Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are now a good week into v11 yet members still do not read the documentation or watch video.

Ok venting, moving on

see:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-classic-11-0-is-now-available...

and from that, see a Adobe document that should be read before trying the new version (this is nothing new, comes under the concept RTM)

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

and in that a section on Masking, and before you get into more issues, a section on Metadata

Also, a long but inclusive video, well worth the watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Fld8eEHsE

Note, a lot of venting from Pro Wedding Photogs, they cannot understand why Adobe would release a major upgrade during peek season. Well it is peak Adobe season, Adobe always releases the big upgrades this time of year. And Adobe cannot cowtow to just one group. Their main issue is a learning curve. They should have not allowed an automatic update on a working computer. Problem? Roll back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why the venting? Well, when you have to suddenly edit 100 photos and suddenly there is a learning curve and you can't do quick edits for quick turnarounds. And thanks, I did read the documentation but if I have to read it and watch videos, it's not intuitive. I did roll it back. Venting over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why the venting? Well, when you have to suddenly edit 100 photos and suddenly there is a learning curve and you can't do quick edits for quick turnarounds.

And WHY in the beginning or middle of editing 100 photos did you suddenly upgrade to a major new version of a product with major new changes without at least reading how the new product actually works?

Venting or this, same result.

“My core belief is that if you're complaining about something for more than three minutes, two minutes ago you should have done something about it.“ -Caitlin Moran

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So thanks, but I didn't update in the middle (why would you even think that? okay....) -- I have the auto updates and didn't realize the change would be so great, but hey, y'all here are SO (not) KIND about it so go on with yourself  - updates have never been this major in the all the time I've had lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and now you know to turn off Auto Update and stick with the older version OR learn to use the new tools. 

"(why would you even think that? okay....)"

Why do I think what you ask? Your own text:

"Well, when you have to suddenly edit 100 photos and suddenly there is a learning curve and you can't do quick edits for quick turnarounds".

So you've got a newer version you yourself downloaded and didn't learn to use when you had 100 images to edit. Hardly our fault or that of Adobes. 

"Learning is not attained by chance. It must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. "-Abigail Adams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not helpful, thanks though

You are condescending.

You make assumptions and don't actually try to help in what is called ADOBE SUPPORT COMMUNITY

I'm sorry I didn't use simpler language the first time. Here you go: 

I found myself needing to edit 100 photos. My Adobe LR had updated but I didn't think anything of it as updates in the past had not changed the product dramatically. Opening a new layout when I needed quick edits and found the learning curve not quite as quick as before had me feeling a bit panicked. But fortunately, other nice people in this forum answered my questions, although since they disagree with me, they choose to make fun of me and put me down instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My Adobe LR had updated but I didn't think anything of it as updates in the past had not changed the product dramatically".

Yet you tell us, I make assumptions? 

No assumptions, facts: There is lots of written text (and videos) and actual release notes, and some onscreen new feature tips shown to the user that some decide to ingore and then assume, then complain about new functionality they have no idea exists, all while in a hurry to edit their images. Maybe if you decide in the future to upgrade LR (or Adobe products or anything else), you might consider studying what is new or changed before charging ahead blindly editing your work: nothing new here was hidden from you, you decided to ingore it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you punish us verbally with your words for not reading about the updates. Okay Boomer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pray tell, why is this support community here then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pray tell, why is this support community here then?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/ct-p/ct-Using-the-Community?page=1&sort=latest_re...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone else or am I the only person that has problems with Lightroom each time a new version comes out? 

I have updated to version 11 today and the brush tool has completely disappeared. 

I talk to technical support they say to try the older verison I do that and I can't access the lightroom catalog anymore because its been converted to version 11. 

Can anyone recommed a better software solution that Lightroom for windows. I don't think I can handle this cycle of updates that ruin my day each time they are forced on me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Does anyone else or am I the only person that has problems with Lightroom each time a new version comes out? "

I can't talk for others, but personally I've never had any issue when updating LrC. I've used it since v2.0, on Windows.

"I have updated to version 11 today and the brush tool has completely disappeared. "

There has been a major update of filters/brush, now called masking. See here for more:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

"I can't access the lightroom catalog anymore because its been converted to version 11. "

As with previous major updates, LrC did a copy of your old catalog and created a new one for LrC 11. If you haven't manually deleted the old one, it's still there 😉

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The brush tool has not disappeared - in fact it is more powerful now.

It is now located under the Masking tool (the circle icon beneath the Histogram).  It is part of the Masking Upgrade.  Here is additional ifnromation about it: https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2021/10/26/max-2021-photography-releases.html#gs.fu2uv5 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be more powerful but to me, it is now more like photoshop - personally, I liked the simplicity of Lightroom for the quick edits and then Photoshop for powerful ones. Now I don't see the point. Sorry, I don't like masking in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be more powerful but to me, it is now more like photoshop - personally, I liked the simplicity of Lightroom for the quick edits and then Photoshop for powerful ones. Now I don't see the point. Sorry, I don't like masking in LR.

Downgrade to the older version and understand that any auto update in CC will get you back to this new and for many, improved product.

No one forces you to upgrade!

Simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines